There are 113 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Wich do they need an upgrade at.?

Wich do they need an upgrade at.?

Originally posted by LottOfDefense:
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
The way things are shaping up that is pretty much it, We have 7 picks in the 1st 4 rounds. Assuming we don't trade any of them I would like to see:
2 CB's, SS, Center, WR deep threat. Leaving 2 more picks
We could get a 2nd WR maybe with return abillty, A DT to rotate in and projected eventually to start
We could also consider an ILB in case Bowman starts the year on the pup list. Wilhoite is a restricted free agent so he could be his eventual replacement while adding depth till Bowman's back. Maybe even a QB with the 4th rounder if they choose to go rookie back up.

But Baalke is going to trade that is his MO. He circles his players and goes after them. If he is assured they will be there later, he trades down. If I remember last year, he did not trade a pick until Lemoneir. He moved up for Reid, down for Carradine, up for MacDonald, and the 1st 3rd was used for Reid. If it is a position of need he moves to get his man.

With 12 picks this year and potentially bigger holes depending on FA, I expect him to be even more aggressive this year. They could draft a starting SS, C, and CB this year. Last year it was just a FS, #2 TE and much needed depth.
That is his playbook. With this draft being so deep I wouldn't be surprised to see him move back in round 1 and use the later picks to move up in round 2. what I like the most is he always gets the better of the deal. Last year we moved up 13 slots in the 1st round for a 3rd rd pick. I have never seen anyone move up 8 for less than a 2nd. According to the chart that should cost the 60th pick - late 2nd round.

We moved back in round 2 , 5-6 slots which was worth 50 points and gained a 3rd rounder worth over 200 points.

Then we moved up in round 2 , 5-6 slots which was worth another 50 points and paid a 6th rounder worth less than 25 points.

He pays way less to move up and charges way more to move back. I hope he kicks some more GM ass this year. 2 years in a row we had the most draft picks in the NFL. Smart long term thinking.
  • at49
  • Veteran
Quarterback.

Over the past two years every member of the offense has been Pro Bowl or Pro Bowl alternate. Yet we have the 30th pass offense. A strong arm and speed don't automatically equate to being a good quarterback or Ryan Leaf and Jamarcus Russell would be still playing and Peyton Manning would be watching the game in his living room.

Draft him high, call him a backup, get him trained.
Originally posted by at49:
Quarterback.

Over the past two years every member of the offense has been Pro Bowl or Pro Bowl alternate. Yet we have the 30th pass offense. A strong arm and speed don't automatically equate to being a good quarterback or Ryan Leaf and Jamarcus Russell would be still playing and Peyton Manning would be watching the game in his living room.

Your first two sentences lead to a different conclusion actually. Change the playcalling.
Originally posted by at49:
Quarterback.

Because the play calling, offensive schemes and philosophy plays no part in that at all.

If you're going to pull out stats, you need to know that the passing offenses are ranked by passing yards. You also have to keep in mind that we are ranked nearly dead last in pass attempts (which contributes to low passing yards) but conversely, near the top in rush attempts. When you have such a lopsided, unbalanced functioning offense, you'll very likely get the same results even with another QB.

We don't need a new QB. We need Roman and the offensive philosophy to evolve or get a better OC.
[ Edited by NeonNiner on Feb 2, 2014 at 11:20 AM ]
This team does not need a WR. We don't even use the ones we have now. We don't use WR's and TE's all over the field now. Adding more won't change that. Patton and McDonald are open on every play. We don't throw to them ever. So what's the point? Improve the defense with FA defections and salary cap cuts. We need CB and S. We need a C really bad too and G depth.
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
I won't be mad if we stay put at #30 and take Jordan Matthews
Originally posted by 49ers201:
Originally posted by English:
Apparently we need an upgrade on the spell checker!

Receiver.

lol typed it to quick.

too

Justin Gilbert from OK State seems like a great first round pick. 6 foot, good speed and ball skills and he had 6 picks this season. Todd Mcshay compared him to a shorter Patrick Peterson
Originally posted by Squidp:
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
If Goodwin is better than Kilgore, than we need to upgrade.
I think it has more to do with the fact we had a young QB so we needed a veteran Center to get us into the right protection.

Thats the excuse.
I want a WR> CB BUT if Whitner leaves like said before, that becomes a BiG priority!
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
(1st) CB
(2nd) Safety
(2nd) WR
(3rd) Center
(3rd) Safety
(3rd) WR
(4th) OT / OG
(5th) CB

Other rounds = whatever...

Also, we need an upgrade with play-calling and red zone offense!
[ Edited by LVJay on Feb 2, 2014 at 2:55 PM ]
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
This team does not need a WR. We don't even use the ones we have now. We don't use WR's and TE's all over the field now. Adding more won't change that. Patton and McDonald are open on every play. We don't throw to them ever. So what's the point? Improve the defense with FA defections and salary cap cuts. We need CB and S. We need a C really bad too and G depth.

Actually there are many reasons behind our lacking passing offense.
1st our play calling. Roman has some blame in this but don't think Harbaugh is a bystander. If he wanted more passing there would be more. He was a QB. If he wanted to insert a few new pass plays he would. Roman calls the plays but Harbaugh has the offense and the QB he wants.

2nd Kap has to develop. We have fewer pass attempts but how many pass plays end up being runs each game? Kap needs to get better at reading defenses and going through progressions. Remember 1 thing. This was his 1st full season as a starter. He's still learning. He started the year with 1 legit WR. Crabtree was out Patton was hurt and the rest sucked. Instead of using the year to develop spreading the ball around he was directed by circumstance to focus in on Boldin and Davis. By the time we got them back he probably got used to zeroing in on 1 target.

Alex Smith looked like the 2nd coming of Ryan Leaf at the beginning. His 1st year he had 1 TD and 11 Int's. Steve Young sucked so much Tampa shipped him off to us and drafted Vinny Testaverde.I don't think we need to give up on Kap just yet. This will be his 1st training camp with a legit receiving core. We should draft another receiver to develop. We need the depth and they usually take a season or 2 to develop anyway. Let's hope the 49ers coaches focus on ball distribution and reading defenses in training camp and preseason.

We have 7 picks in the 1st 4 rounds. Would it really be such a disaster if we used 1 for a WR? We can draft 2 CB's, SS, C , WR and still have 2 more picks left in the 1st 4 rounds plus 5 more draft picks on top of that. Boldin won't be here forever, it takes time for WR's to adjust and What if we have injuries? Baldwin is dead weight.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home