LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 210 users in the forums

My Best Mock Yet (And Realistic)

• GEEK
  • Veteran
Mock Plan:

Assumptions:

Resign Boldin (2 year), Whitner (3 year), Dawson (1 year), Wilhoite (RFA), and Osgood (1 year)
Release Baldwin, Dahl, Snyder, and Rogers. Restructure Gore, Willis, and Davis.
Extend Colin Kaepernick
Trade LaMichael James for Vikings 2015 6th round draft pick.

Free Agency: Realistic and Affordable

Lemuel Jeanpierre - OG/C - Seattle Seahawks RFA (4 year, $10M)
*Assuming the Hawks put the lowest tender on him at $1.3M, I think we can pry him away with a 3 year, $7.5M contract without forking over a draft pick. He's still a bit raw at times, but he stepped in nicely for Max Unger this season.

Nolan Carroll - CB - Miami Dolphins (3 year, $8M)
*Respectable 2013 season, and only allowed a 69 QB rating. But he had a rough final two games to close out the season. Overall, solid player and would thrive in our system as a #2/#3.

Matt Moore - QB - Miami Dolphins (1 year, $1M) *potential cap casualty*
*Veteran backup to Colin Kaepernick. Well versed in the WCO, and upgrade to Colt McCoy.

Blake Costanzo - ILB - Chicago Bears (1 year, $800K)
*Wilhoite steps into the starting ILB role, and Costanzo and Moody compete with each other until Bowman is ready to be activated.

NFL Draft:

R1: Allen Robinson - WR - Penn St.
*Perfect fit for our offense that eventually replaces Anquan Boldin. Tough, physical receiver that commits to blocking in the run game.

*Trade 2nd (via Chiefs) and 3rd round picks for Bills 2nd round pick*

R2: Lamarcus Joyner - CB/S - Florida St. (via Bills)
*What he lacks in size is made up with elite acceleration, tackling, and strength. Brings a new element and energy that our secondary lacked when Goldson left for the Bucs.

R2: Jimmie Ward - S - Northern Illinois
*Smaller school prospect but has received strong reviews for his coverage and tackling skills. A bit raw, he'll be the primary backup to both safety positions and eventually replace Whitner.

R3: Billy Turner - G/T - North Dakota State (via Titans)
*Rare combination of strength, size, and athleticism that makes him a perfect fit in our offense. He'll see time at G and T, serving Adam Snyder's role, but eventually will replace Iupati at LG.

R3: Bruce Ellington - WR/RB/KR/PR - South Carolina (comp)
*Ellington has a similar skill set to Randall Cobb - raw, but elite speed and acceleration. While Ellington is 5-9, he's got a thick frame and looks like a pass catching RB. He offers more upside than LaMichael James in the return game, and projects to be a slot WR in the NFL.

R4: Arthur Lynch - TE - Georgia
*Lynch is the opposite of McDonald, as he's one of the best blocking TEs in this year's class. And he's been an underutilized but reliable pass catcher for the Bulldogs.

*Trade 6th and 7th round picks for Patriots 5th round draft pick*

R5: Raijion Neal - RB - Tennessee (via Patriots)
*Similar frame to Anthony Dixon, Neal has flashed a Frank Gore quality of finding ways to get yards after initial contact with small but precise cuts/moves. Secures up the position.

R5: Andre Hal - CB - Vanderbilt
*Underrated defensive back that has a great frame and ball skills, but lacks premium on-field speed and acceleration.

R7: Spencer Long - G - Nebraska (via Panthers)
*NFI guy that competes for a role in 2015.

R7: Aaron Colvin - CB - Oklahoma (via Colts)

R7: Connor Shaw - QB - South Carolina (via Saints)
*Competes with McBLT for the #3/PS spot on our roster.

Depth Chart -

QB: Kaepernick/Moore*
RB: Gore/Hunter/Lattimore/Neal*
FB: Miller
TE: Davis/McDonald/Lynch*/Celek

WR: Crabtree/Osgood
WR: Boldin/Patton
WR: Robinson*/Ellington*

LT: Staley/Marquardt
LG: Turner*/Looney
C: Jeanpierre*/Kilgore
RG: Boone
RT: Davis

LE: Smith/Carradine
NT: Dorsey/Williams/Dial
RE: McDonald/Jerod-Eddie

OLB: Smith/Skuta
ILB: Willis/Costanzo*
ILB: Wilhoite/Moody
OLB: Brooks/Lemonier

CB: Brock/Joyner*/Hal*
CB: Culliver/Carroll*
FS: Reid/Spillman
SS: Whitner/Ward*/Ventrone

ST: Dawson, Lee, McDermott

NFI/PUP: Iupati, Long*, Bowman, Colvin*
[ Edited by GEEK on Feb 1, 2014 at 2:54 PM ]
LMJ for a high 4th-rounder won't happen imo.
I want a nfl-ready speedster over a nfl ready possession receiver ESPECIALLY if Boldin is extended.
Do not want to jump for a DB this high. We are good at finding DBs. Would jump for a Beckham Jr. instead.
Matt Moore

Ovr a solid draft.
Originally posted by GEEK:
Mock Plan:

Assumptions:

Resign Boldin (2 year), Whitner (3 year), Dawson (1 year), Wilhoite (RFA), and Osgood (1 year)
Release Baldwin, Dahl, Snyder, and Rogers. Restructure Gore, Willis, and Davis.
Extend Colin Kaepernick
Trade LaMichael James for Vikings 2015 4th round draft pick.

Free Agency: Realistic and Affordable

Lemuel Jeanpierre - OG/C - Seattle Seahawks RFA (4 year, $10M)
*Assuming the Hawks put the lowest tender on him at $1.3M, I think we can pry him away with a 3 year, $7.5M contract without forking over a draft pick. He's still a bit raw at times, but he stepped in nicely for Max Unger this season.

Nolan Carroll - CB - Miami Dolphins (3 year, $8M)
*Respectable 2013 season, and only allowed a 69 QB rating. But he had a rough final two games to close out the season. Overall, solid player and would thrive in our system as a #2/#3.

Matt Moore - QB - Miami Dolphins (1 year, $1M) *potential cap casualty*
*Veteran backup to Colin Kaepernick. Well versed in the WCO, and upgrade to Colt McCoy.

Blake Costanzo - ILB - Chicago Bears (1 year, $800K)
*Wilhoite steps into the starting ILB role, and Costanzo and Moody compete with each other until Bowman is ready to be activated.

NFL Draft:

R1: Allen Robinson - WR - Penn St.
*Perfect fit for our offense that eventually replaces Anquan Boldin. Tough, physical receiver that commits to blocking in the run game.

*Trade 2nd (via Chiefs) and 3rd round picks for Bills 2nd round pick*

R2: Lamarcus Joyner - CB/S - Florida St. (via Bills)
*What he lacks in size is made up with elite acceleration, tackling, and strength. Brings a new element and energy that our secondary lacked when Goldson left for the Bucs.

R2: Jimmie Ward - S - Northern Illinois
*Smaller school prospect but has received strong reviews for his coverage and tackling skills. A bit raw, he'll be the primary backup to both safety positions and eventually replace Whitner.

R3: Billy Turner - G/T - North Dakota State (via Titans)
*Rare combination of strength, size, and athleticism that makes him a perfect fit in our offense. He'll see time at G and T, serving Adam Snyder's role, but eventually will replace Iupati at LG.

R3: Bruce Ellington - WR/RB/KR/PR - South Carolina (comp)
*Ellington has a similar skill set to Randall Cobb - raw, but elite speed and acceleration. While Ellington is 5-9, he's got a thick frame and looks like a pass catching RB. He offers more upside than LaMichael James in the return game, and projects to be a slot WR in the NFL.

R4: Arthur Lynch - TE - Georgia
*Lynch is the opposite of McDonald, as he's one of the best blocking TEs in this year's class. And he's been an underutilized but reliable pass catcher for the Bulldogs.

*Trade 6th and 7th round picks for Patriots 5th round draft pick*

R5: Raijion Neal - RB - Tennessee (via Patriots)
*Similar frame to Anthony Dixon, Neal has flashed a Frank Gore quality of finding ways to get yards after initial contact with small but precise cuts/moves. Secures up the position.

R5: Andre Hal - CB - Vanderbilt
*Underrated defensive back that has a great frame and ball skills, but lacks premium on-field speed and acceleration.

R7: Spencer Long - G - Nebraska (via Panthers)

R7: Aaron Colvin - CB - Oklahoma (via Colts)

R7: Connor Shaw - QB - South Carolina (via Saints)
*Competes with McBLT for the #3/PS spot on our roster.

Depth Chart -

QB: Kaepernick/Moore*
RB: Gore/Hunter/Lattimore/Neal*
FB: Miller
TE: Davis/McDonald/Lynch*/Celek

WR: Crabtree/Osgood
WR: Boldin/Patton
WR: Robinson*/Ellington*

LT: Staley/Marquardt
LG: Turner*/Looney
C: Jeanpierre*/Kilgore
RG: Boone
RT: Davis

LE: Smith/Carradine
NT: Dorsey/Williams/Dial
RE: McDonald/Jerod-Eddie

OLB: Smith/Skuta
ILB: Willis/Costanzo*
ILB: Wilhoite/Moody
OLB: Brooks/Lemonier

CB: Brock/Joyner*/Hal*
CB: Culliver/Carroll*
FS: Reid/Spillman
SS: Whitner/Ward*/Ventrone

ST: Dawson, Lee, McDermott

NFI/PUP: Iupati, Long*, Bowman, Colvin*
Geek--could you please compare Ellington, Josh Huff and Herron for me in your opinion. I like these three guys maybe as later round versions of Beckham or Cooks or even Landry. Thanks
Originally posted by communist:
LMJ for a high 4th-rounder won't happen imo.
I want a nfl-ready speedster over a nfl ready possession receiver ESPECIALLY if Boldin is extended.
Do not want to jump for a DB this high. We are good at finding DBs. Would jump for a Beckham Jr. instead.
Matt Moore

Ovr a solid draft.

Robinson is one of the more NFL ready receivers in the entire draft. We'll need him when Boldin eventually retires and possibly Crabtree walks for more cheddar. And this mock does include a burner in Bruce Ellington. Also, we can be losing as many as 3 CBs in the offseason. We need to draft at least 1 early regardless.
Ellington is raw.

This draft assumes that Boldin and Crabtree will be here next season.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Murphys1:
Geek--could you please compare Ellington, Josh Huff and Herron for me in your opinion. I like these three guys maybe as later round versions of Beckham or Cooks or even Landry. Thanks

Josh Huff - Similar frame and skills to TY Hilton. He's got amazingly fast acceleration and speed, but gets too sloppy making the catch and route running. I think he's a guy that could immediately contribute at WR in his first year - more so than the other two receivers - as long as he minimizes his concentration lapses. He could easily generate 800+ yards, 6+ TDs on a team that favors the passing game - Saints, Patriots, etc.

Robert Herron - Great productive college wide receiver...but I seriously question how his game will translate to the NFL. He's similar to Santana Moss - depends on speed and initial release to get open. He may have a great 40 time, but his on-field speed is slower than what you expect. He's had just enough speed to get it down in college, but will that translate in the NFL? Plus, a lot of his yards have been generated with WR screens, and timed short/intermediate routes. I would consider drafting him in the 4th-5th rounds on a team that runs the west coast offense - Packers, Redskins, Dolphins, etc.

Bruce Ellington - If exclusively played at WR, Ellington is going to be the rawest of them all. He's basically a RB that lines up at WR, and he's been very productive at South Carolina in that specific role. He's got a thick frame and has the potential to be a solid contributor. I think he belongs in a power offense that requires WRs to run block and depend on beating defenders with physical skills, not just speed. He'd be a great fit for the NFC west teams. I also love the fact he can return kicks/punts. And out of all three players, he comes from the most reputable school - and we've shown interest in that school's prospects - Chris Culliver and Marcus Lattimore as the most recent examples.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Ellington is raw.

This draft assumes that Boldin and Crabtree will be here next season.

Yes, Ellington is raw. But outside of Lee from USC and Cooks from Oregon State, all of the "burner" wide receivers will be on the rawer or frailer side.

We land a blue chip WR prospect in Robinson, and the fact we have Boldin, Crabtree, and Patton on the roster, we can take a speedy receiver that's on the raw side.

The beauty of Ellington is that he'll contribute mostly on special teams in his first year. We had Baldwin, Patton, and Osgood behind Boldin and Crabtree...what was their productivity? Zero.

With Robinson drafted, I see us going to move 3-1-1 sets, which will utilize more receivers. And we'll sprinkle in Patton and Ellington in those formations.
I wouldn't consider Abbrederis or Beckham jr. as raw.

The fact that we need another fast receiver to beat Seattle makes me think that we need one nfl-ready speedster NOW.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
I wouldn't consider Abbrederis or Beckham jr. as raw.

The fact that we need another fast receiver to beat Seattle makes me think that we need one nfl-ready speedster NOW.

I wouldn't say Abbrederis or Beckham Jr. are electric/super fast. They have excellent initial quickness to beat press coverages, and possess savvy route running skills - big fan of both players.

But I agree - we need someone vertical to have a more down field attack and open pockets for Davis, Boldin, Crabs, and McDonald.
I like it. Nice plan.

• GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
I like it. Nice plan.

I aim to please.
Rajion Neal would fit right into our system. We got a lot of running backs already though, would they get rid of Hunter for Neal?

My draft of '13 running back crush is the Boston College kid Andre Williams though.
[ Edited by Memphis9er on Feb 1, 2014 at 2:10 PM ]
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Rajion Neal would fit right into our system. We got a lot of running backs already though, would they get rid of Hunter for Neal?

My draft of '13 running back crush is the Boston College kid Andre Williams though.

Well Gore is in his 30s now, Lattimore is coming off his injury, and Hunter is 1 year removed from his injury. So it's not a matter of getting rid of Hunter, it's securing depth.

Plus in 2015, Gore will most likely be retired, and Hunter will be a free agent. So it's a forward thinking draft selection.
You really think a team would give up a 4th round pick for James?? He is an average return man, thats it.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TruNinerFan:
You really think a team would give up a 4th round pick for James?? He is an average return man, thats it.

Oops, I meant 2015 6th round pick. I think a team like the Vikings that need to find a change of pace back will pay that for his upside/potential and low salary.

My mock is edited to reflect the correct compensation for the trade.
Share 49ersWebzone