There are 188 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The reason wanting to draft a "Big Frame" WR is just overrated

Drafting WRs is like witchcraft. It is easily the most challenging position for me to grade. So much depends on the team and system. To me, find a guy who loves football, is coachable,
Has a high football IQ, and someone who doesn't mind blocking. I'll take that guy. I also value 3 cone drill times as much as 40 times
  • buck
  • Veteran
B&B Talent Agency based in San Diego has announced that the following players will work out as wide receivers at the upcoming NFL combine.

When asked about their lack of experience playing wide receiver, the spokesman responded,

"It is simple and everyone knows this--bigger is better."

Matt Hall Belhaven 6-9 323
Jimmy Bennett Connecticut 6-8 307
Tevon Conrad Saginaw Valley 6-8 326
David Born Old Dominion 6-8 330
Daniel McCullers Tennessee 6-7 348
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by communist:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
The DB's he was going up against were 5'10" 180 lbs. 6'2" is not "average." Look up the average height and weight of American males. That's north of the average then and it's north of the average now. It's not huge like 6'5" Megatron. But it's not small.
We are not talking about avg American males but about football players, receivers in particular.

The average height and weight of an NFL receiver is, at least according to this site, approximately 6'2 and roughly 205lbs.is

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Average_height_and_weight_of_NFL_wide_receivers#slide=3&article=Average_height_and_weight_of_NFL_wide_receivers
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Drafting WRs is like witchcraft. It is easily the most challenging position for me to grade. So much depends on the team and system. To me, find a guy who loves football, is coachable,
Has a high football IQ, and someone who doesn't mind blocking. I'll take that guy. I also value 3 cone drill times as much as 40 times

The time for 10 yard split needs to be given some weight also.
I agree with the premise. Skill should be come before size. But it's not always that simple. We drafted A.J. Jenkins over some bigger WRs because we were led to believe he was more skilled, and better deep threat. The FO was dead wrong. I'm still trying to figure out what they saw in him that led them to believe he was a better player than Alshon Jeffery.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
I agree with the premise. Skill should be come before size. But it's not always that simple. We drafted A.J. Jenkins over some bigger WRs because we were led to believe he was more skilled, and better deep threat. The FO was dead wrong. I'm still trying to figure out what they saw in him that led them to believe he was a better player than Alshon Jeffery.
I'm still trying to figure that one out And I agree, skills should come before size. But there's real reason teams are looking for bigger at WR and corner. It's no accident that WR's, and now CB's, have gotten bigger, faster, and more physical over the last 15 years. We are talking about a "copy cat league" here. Given how much success Seattle had with their large abusive CB's mugging WR's at the LOS I'd bet that big physical corners and WR's are gonna be in big demand. It allows defenses to take full advantage of the 5 yard contact rule. And in the NFL there's something to be said for size and physicality. It's like speed, you can't teach it. Skills can be taught. NFL rout running can be taught. NFL techniques can be taught; all with good coaching (which the 49ers have).

Sure, generally speaking skills should come before size. But while we keep that principle in mind it cannot be to the exclusion of the bare reality of the nature of football, especially in the NFL. The brightest example of this is, you guessed it, one A.J. Jenkins. If a skilled guy can't even get off the LOS (Think: NFC West) just what good is his skills to the team?
Originally posted by SofaKing:

They saw his speed which was in the 4.3's and Alshon was slow but big.
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by communist:
The DB's he was going up against were 5'10" 180 lbs. 6'2" is not "average." Look up the average height and weight of American males. That's north of the average then and it's north of the average now. It's not huge like 6'5" Megatron. But it's not small.
We are not talking about avg American males but about football players, receivers in particular.

The average height and weight of an NFL receiver is, at least according to this site, approximately 6'2 and roughly 205lbs.is

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Average_height_and_weight_of_NFL_wide_receivers#slide=3&article=Average_height_and_weight_of_NFL_wide_receivers

1) If you understand what wiki is you would understand it's just some random person that answers a question like on a blog or forum. It's not necessarily accurate and definitely not independently verified. But you don't understand that.

2) IF TRUE it would simply mean that in recent years NFL teams keep drafting bigger and bigger and bigger WR's bumping the average up and up and up.... 2014 average is not the same as 1980's average anyway. Rice played with 280 lb. Guards on his O Line. Iupati is 335 lbs. 280 lbs. is a midget now a days. MacDonald is 270 lbs. at TE for a blocking TE. The game has changed lol. Again if true it simply supports what I'm saying. Teams favor bigger players now as compared to the past. But you obviously missed that point too.
  • buck
  • Veteran
never mind
[ Edited by buck on Feb 1, 2014 at 7:31 PM ]
They saw his speed which was in the 4.3's and Alshon was slow but big.

It is much more likely that Jenkins ranked higher on our draft board because he did not have the red flags that Jeffery had coming out (weight issues and work ethic concerns).
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

All true. If you want to know what makes a good WR, just look at Boldin: Quick, strong, super hands, tough, brave, smart routes, great attitude = must have all these.
'Big bodied' is very helpful with the strong, tough, brave part. Can't have a small WR, but 6' with long arms works OK. Speed would be nice too.
[ Edited by maxsmart on Feb 1, 2014 at 8:06 PM ]
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight but, the size of the fight in the dog." Having said that, getting off the line of scrimmage against the larger corners in the league (Sherman, Browner?) is of utmost importance especially since our qb is still learning to throw. And, please, no more teeny tiny wr's (Williams, Jenkins)!
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
That's pretty lazy of you to assume that. Speed is a skill-set, but it's not everything when it comes to WRs. Clearly, they still have to have good hands, run good routes, get separation at the LOS, etc., etc., etc. What some people are suggesting is that along with these core skills, a little speed in the WR corps wouldn't hurt since we have none. Not sure why that's a complicated idea to gasp.

The sarcasm flew right over your in my next post.
i say take players who have produced rather than physical freaks. im looking at you john baldwin
The thing about Larry Fitzgerald is he not only has great hands and size, but he out fights sometimes two or three corners and safeties for the ball. After watching Sherman locate and just either go up and pick, or bat the ball away with our receivers out of position behind him, I really want that right now. Sorry, I'm just frustrated. Logically, I agree completely with the original post.