LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 260 users in the forums

The reason wanting to draft a "Big Frame" WR is just overrated

Sounds like marquise lee and martavius bryant are the choice receivers. Speed and productive Lee while Bryant is a large speedy receiver who played in the shadow of Sammy Watkins.
  • buck
  • Veteran
The bigger, the better

There are 22 wide receivers in the Hall of Fame.

None of them are 6-5
None of them are 6-4

Three of them are 6-3

Chris Carter 6-3
James Loftn 6-3
Art Monk 6-3

http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/positions.aspx
Looks like lots of fans here subscribe to the late Al Davis method of drafting; 40 times and combine numbers.
Originally posted by Garlicboy:
Looks like lots of fans here subscribe to the late Al Davis method of drafting; 40 times and combine numbers.

How about drafting the fastest biggest guys out there!

USAIN BOLT
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
No, clearly Jon Baldwin should be the #1, #2, AND #3 WR, that guy gets it done......because he's big and stuff..

I really don't get your logic here. It's like me saying we shouldn't draft a 6'0 guy with good measurables because of AJ Jenkins. Does your logic only go one way? You're only a bust if you're tall.

Everyone knows there's more to being a receiver than size. How many people actually say draft the tallest player available. That being said there's nothing wrong with looking for the best prospect with good size and speed. It's no different than any other position. If I'm looking for a defensive end Aldon Smith is going to jump off the map.
I'll take a Isaac Bruce any day.
Originally posted by Garlicboy:

That's pretty lazy of you to assume that. Speed is a skill-set, but it's not everything when it comes to WRs. Clearly, they still have to have good hands, run good routes, get separation at the LOS, etc., etc., etc. What some people are suggesting is that along with these core skills, a little speed in the WR corps wouldn't hurt since we have none. Not sure why that's a complicated idea to gasp.
Originally posted by buck:
The bigger, the better

None of them are 6-5
None of them are 6-4

Three of them are 6-3

Chris Carter 6-3
James Loftn 6-3
Art Monk 6-3

You don't think Calvin Johnson will be when it's all said and done?
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
size is far from a primary concern. if you want to improve your receiving corps, the primary requirement is having a scouting staff that KNOWS what receiver talent is. period.
Originally posted by buck:
The bigger, the better

None of them are 6-5
None of them are 6-4

Three of them are 6-3

Chris Carter 6-3
James Loftn 6-3
Art Monk 6-3

To be fair there are quite a few 6-3 + wide receivers that are well on there way to becoming hall of famers. The modern passing era of the nfl has seen its fair share of 6-3 + WR's.

A good big guy is better than a good little guy
Originally posted by 60sFan:
A good big guy is better than a good little guy

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Megatron is a rare talent, you won't find that in the late 1st round. However, what did he do against Seattle? NOTHING.

Given your logic, we should draft b-ball players only. Wait, Jimmy Graham is a former b-ball player. What did he do against Seattle?

When you want to draft a WR, you grade them by the following abilities (NO specific order):
can he get separation?
can he catch?
is he a good route-runner?

THEN you split the WRs in two or more groups, determined by their type, e.g. by size, speed etc.

Any other evaluation method is based on spurious correlation.
1: hands
2: route running/separation
3: YAC ability

If you have these three and are 5'5, I d still draft you. I really hope we don t draft Bryant or Benjamin because they rely on physical superiority to be successful. Their routes and hands look sloppy. I dont see these guys beating top notch NFL corners like Sherman and Peterson. Watching Robert Herron in the senior bowl practices was inspiring. His routes and double moves made the DBs look silly.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

Of course, I think Calvin Johnson will be an Hall of Fame receiver when it's all said and done.

If you really think that Calvin Johnson is a great receiver because of his height and weight, you need to work on your player evaluation.

I will suggest that Johnson's work effort, his intelligence, and his drive to be good are much more important than his height and weight, or his speed.

Your claim that bigger are better remains a specious claim.
Share 49ersWebzone