Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by Jd925:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Your own team history should tell you what it is. Jerry Rice = 6'2". T.O. = 6'3". Two of the best guys ever on the 49ers. Dwight Clark making "the catch" had something to do with him being 6'4". Bigger is better. Get over it.

Get over it. Deal with it. Height is critical. If you do not believe it, look at best wide receivers drafted by the 49ers.

1. Paul Jokisch WR 6-7 230 Michigan
2. J.J. Stokes WR 6-4 217 UCLA
3. Marcus Maxwell WR 6-4 205 Oregon
4. Kirk Pendleton WR 6-3 191 Brigham Young
5. Derrick Hamilton WR 6-3 203 Clemson
6. David Henson WR 6-3 173 Abilene Christian
6. Mike Bettiga WR 6-3 181 Humbolt State
9. Dwight Clark WR 6-3 204 Clemson
10. Terrell Owens WR 6-2 213 Tenn.-Chattanooga
11. Iheanyi Uwaezuoke WR 6-2 195 California
12. Jerry Rice WR 6-2 200 Mississippi Valley State

That's a good one..

49er drafting history provides us with absolute proof that, as San Diego stated, bigger is better.

If we look at the current team, it becomes apparent that coaching staff blew it when they let Boldin and Crabtree start instead of Kassim Osgood and Jon Baldwin.

I guess AJ Jenkins and Patton were the secret weapons to beating Seattle...?

does this remark have to do with anything I posted?

I am not arguing that the lack of size is a positive.

If the big guys aren't the answer I suppose using the small guys would get better results? Jenkins and Patton are closer in size to TY Hilton.

stupid supposition

Actually its spot on the crap you posted. And TO would be the 4th biggest WR we drafted. You have him 1 inch short and 10lbs underweight.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Actually its spot on the crap you posted. And TO would be the 4th biggest WR we drafted. You have him 1 inch short and 10lbs underweight.

I think your supposition was stupid. You think my post was crap. What is new?

I copied the heights and weights from the draft section of this site. My mistake.

http://www.49erswebzone.com/alltimedraft/
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Stephen Hill should be the latest major cautionary tale as to why people shouldn't obsess so much over size and speed. I was guilty of pushing for him a bit too, along with Tommy Streeter.....lesson learned. He has looked exactly like what his college performance indicated, freakishly athletic, but a better athlete than receiver, a guy who runs sloppy routes and has a bad case of dropsies when the football actually comes his way.

Better pick than AJ Jenkins? Definitely. Better pick than a bunch of guys picked after him? Absolutely not. People fell in love with his size and speed but didn't seem to concentrate on the small issue of him not really being all that skilled of a receiver. Now Jets fans are basically looking at him is a big bust.

So glad you came around on this, Phoenix. Measurables should be one of the last things looked at.

We need to evaluate guys on their ability to play the game. It doesn't matter how you move the chains and get in the end zone, as long as you do it. There are plenty of 6'5" guys who never amounted to anything and there are plenty of guys under 6'0" who've had incredible careers.

If all else is equal, I'll take the guy with the better measurables, of course. But measurables should only be used as a tie-breaker when evaluating two prospects, not the basis of the evaluation.
If the big guys aren't the answer I suppose using the small guys would get better results? Jenkins and Patton are closer in size to TY Hilton.

No, clearly Jon Baldwin should be the #1, #2, AND #3 WR, that guy gets it done......because he's big and stuff..
When I see small and shifty work for us I will agree with you. AJ sucked and Patton spent the majority of the year hurt.
Your own team history should tell you what it is. Jerry Rice = 6'2". T.O. = 6'3". Two of the best guys ever on the 49ers. Dwight Clark making "the catch" had something to do with him being 6'4". Bigger is better. Get over it.

This line of thinking is painfully simplistic and frankly, borders on outright stupidity.

Kassim Osgood is 6'5". Steve Smith is 5'9". Surely Osgood must be a more productive WR because "bigger is better".

Come on. Measurables are one of the least important factors in evaluating a football player. The goal of a WR is to move the chains and score TDs, not wear the biggest uniform.
When I see small and shifty work for us I will agree with you. AJ sucked and Patton spent the majority of the year hurt.

So you would take an inferior football player just because they were bigger?

No one is saying that they wouldn't take the bigger guy if all else was equal, but this idea that we should just blindly take the biggest guy available instead of the best guy available is impossibly stupid.
For the record, the receiver I want most in this draft is Kelvin Benjamin, but not just because he's big. It's his ability to separate, his physicality in the running game, and his RAC ability that has me sold.

That said, Sammy Watkins is 4 inches shorter and I'd be equally ecstatic if we got him--even though he's far less likely to be available and I'd actually slightly prefer Benjamin.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Totally agree, if you can't get off the line of scrimmage chances are you're not making a reception. The SB will show tight shots of the Bronco receivers getting mugged at the line. Good-Dell will try to take violence out of the game by not allowing contact in the 5 yard radius.

TY Hilton-140 yards, 2 TD's

Kendall Wright-70 yards

Justin Hunter-8 yards

Larry Fitzgerald-17 yards

Vincent Jackson-11 yards

Roddy White-20 yards

Harry Douglass-50 yards

Jimmy Graham-42 yards

Larry Fitzgerald-18 yards

Its the craziest thing, the smallest guy on that list by far had the best game against Seattle. The second smallest guy had the 2nd best game.

The point is that speed/quickness are weaknesses for that defense. Guys like Hilton and Wright are trouble because they have a difficult time manning up on those guys and being physical with them due to their athleticism.

Don't forget the Vikings 5'10", 180lb Jarius Wright who burned the Seattle secondary for 3 catches, nearly 70 yards and two TDs making him and Hilton the only receivers to catch at least 2 TDs against their defense. Speed is their kryptonite.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fryet:
The problem with the smaller guys is they tend to get injured. They are only on the field half the time.

Is this actually true?

Have there been studies that indicate that small players get hurt more or that they are only on field half of the time?
Originally posted by fryet:
The problem with the smaller guys is they tend to get injured. They are only on the field half the time.

Is this actually true?

Have there been studies that indicate that small players get hurt more or that they are only on field half of the time?

Of course, look at Percy Harvin. Just ignore Sidney Rice though....nothing to see there.

Calvin Johnson / Larry Fitzgerald type receivers are awesome. Any in this draft we have a shot at getting? Probably not.

We already have 2 great possession receivers in Crabtree and Boldin. It would make more sense to go after a receiver with really good speed or even great speed but 1st and foremost must be a great receiver ,rather than go after another possession type receiver.

As for seattle, speed does help. They cover 1 on 1 with no over the top safety help. If you get by the initial mauling at the line you are off to the races because their corners can't keep up.

Our QB may have the strongest arm in the NFL and we have no true deep threat. A great receiver with really good or great speed would give us that.

A mediocre receiver with either great size or great speed is useless.
Why cant we draft 2 receivers a big frame receiver and a small shifty slot receiver.
I think white undersized receivers are the way to go. When is the last time anyone in the slot has done anything for us?
I will take on my team.....

1) Calvin Johnson..... 6'5" 240 lbs. 4.3 40 yard dash.

2) Dorial Green-Beckham..... 6'6" 230 lbs. 4.3 40 yard dash.

Both have a vertical that can jump out of the gym.

You can take all the 5'6" 149 lb. WR's you want. We will see who has the better WR corps.....
I will take on my team.....

1) Calvin Johnson..... 6'5" 240 lbs. 4.3 40 yard dash.

2) Dorial Green-Beckham..... 6'6" 230 lbs. 4.3 40 yard dash.

Both have a vertical that can jump out of the gym.

You can take all the 5'6" 149 lb. WR's you want. We will see who has the better WR corps.....

Oh, so wait, we're playing Fantasyland now?

In that case I take Adrian Peterson, a healthy Rob Gronkowski, JJ Watt and a in-his-prime Jack Lambert on steroids and growth hormone.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 31, 2014 at 8:21 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone