LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 118 users in the forums

The reason wanting to draft a "Big Frame" WR is just overrated

Originally posted by walker807:
Alshon Jeffery and Brandon Marshall are about as dangerous a duo as any team has and size has a LOT to do with that.

Totally agree, if you can't get off the line of scrimmage chances are you're not making a reception. The SB will show tight shots of the Bronco receivers getting mugged at the line. Good-Dell will try to take violence out of the game by not allowing contact in the 5 yard radius.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by jreff22:
They had an infographic one time about how much area he can cover via his size. Him being big and having a wingspan the size of a a small car has a lot to do with his skill set. He can go higher, wider, and longer than almost any DB in the game.

If that's all it took, Chaz Schilens who is 6'4", 225 with a 4.4 40, should be beasting and destroying everyone in his way. The reality is that you still need to run routes well, you still need to have enough quickness, solid hands....etc.
While that's true, a bigger body can cover more area than a small one. I'm not a fan of the expression, "its one of those things you cant teach" but for that kind of size its true.

Here is the sports science piece. Pretty amazing!
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/32957/sports-science-the-lions-calvin-johnson
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Your own team history should tell you what it is. Jerry Rice = 6'2". T.O. = 6'3". Two of the best guys ever on the 49ers. Dwight Clark making "the catch" had something to do with him being 6'4". Bigger is better. Get over it.

Get over it. Deal with it. Height is critical. If you do not believe it, look at best wide receivers drafted by the 49ers.

1. Paul Jokisch WR 6-7 230 Michigan
2. J.J. Stokes WR 6-4 217 UCLA
3. Marcus Maxwell WR 6-4 205 Oregon
4. Kirk Pendleton WR 6-3 191 Brigham Young
5. Derrick Hamilton WR 6-3 203 Clemson
6. David Henson WR 6-3 173 Abilene Christian
6. Mike Bettiga WR 6-3 181 Humbolt State
9. Dwight Clark WR 6-3 204 Clemson
10. Terrell Owens WR 6-2 213 Tenn.-Chattanooga
11. Iheanyi Uwaezuoke WR 6-2 195 California
12. Jerry Rice WR 6-2 200 Mississippi Valley State

Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Totally agree, if you can't get off the line of scrimmage chances are you're not making a reception. The SB will show tight shots of the Bronco receivers getting mugged at the line. Good-Dell will try to take violence out of the game by not allowing contact in the 5 yard radius.

TY Hilton-140 yards, 2 TD's

Kendall Wright-70 yards

Justin Hunter-8 yards

Larry Fitzgerald-17 yards

Vincent Jackson-11 yards

Roddy White-20 yards

Harry Douglass-50 yards

Jimmy Graham-42 yards

Larry Fitzgerald-18 yards

Its the craziest thing, the smallest guy on that list by far had the best game against Seattle. The second smallest guy had the 2nd best game.

The point is that speed/quickness are weaknesses for that defense. Guys like Hilton and Wright are trouble because they have a difficult time manning up on those guys and being physical with them due to their athleticism.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 31, 2014 at 3:42 PM ]
Phoenix, you don't need to provide these stats. it is common sense to know the biggest weakness of big defenders.
  • Jd925
  • Veteran
I agree big receivers are generally overrated, but there seems to be a trend in NFL and other professional sports where players are getting taller, bigger, stronger, faster. The WR position has generally gotten more and more stars who are taller than in the past. I think Bill Walsh said the ideal height was around 6'2", but in today's age he would probably peg it to be slightly higher.. maybe 6'2.5". Height has disadvantages. Usually if you're too tall you can't cut in and out of routes as quick.

I actually like shorter receivers because they tend to be undervalued so you can get bargains in the later rounds. I did a quick analysis of WR's in the 2012 draft and I had Justin Blackmon #1 (6'1"). He was the 5th pick. I also liked Ryan Broyles (5'10"). I liked Alshon Jeffrey (6'3") who I said was a high risk/high reward (off-field issues) and Stephen Hill (6'4") I had slotted as the most likely to bust. Michael Floyd (6'2") who I thought would be a solid starter was picked #13 and just caught for 1600 yds this past season. The bottom-line is height is really a basic and superficial measure. Performance and ability should be the core of evaluation along with work-ethic and passion for the game.

When looking for value, you have to think outside the box or else you won't have any advantage and it requires very little skill in drafting. Calvin Johnson had few flaws. He was 6'5" and had 4.35 speed. He had incredible production as a Junior, won the Biletnikoff award and had good work ethic. He was picked #1 so it doesn't matter if you think he's going to be great because 1) everyone else thinks so 2) there's no way you can select him unless you're the worst team in the league. No one with that production, measurables, and character will ever be undervalued. However despite Calvin Johnson having 1300yds his second year it took him until the 5th year to dominate. I think his work ethic was the biggest reason he became so dominant, not his height or even his skills.
  • Jd925
  • Veteran
Originally posted by buck:
Your own team history should tell you what it is. Jerry Rice = 6'2". T.O. = 6'3". Two of the best guys ever on the 49ers. Dwight Clark making "the catch" had something to do with him being 6'4". Bigger is better. Get over it.

Get over it. Deal with it. Height is critical. If you do not believe it, look at best wide receivers drafted by the 49ers.

That's a good one..
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jd925:

That's a good one..

49er drafting history provides us with absolute proof that, as San Diego stated, bigger is better.

If we look at the current team, it becomes apparent that coaching staff blew it when they let Boldin and Crabtree start instead of Kassim Osgood and Jon Baldwin.
[ Edited by buck on Jan 31, 2014 at 4:11 PM ]

That's a good one..

49er drafting history provides us with absolute proof that, as San Diego stated, bigger is better.

If we look at the current team, it becomes apparent that coaching staff blew it when they let Boldin and Crabtree start instead of Kassim Osgood and Jon Baldwin.

I guess AJ Jenkins and Patton were the secret weapons to beating Seattle...?
  • buck
  • Veteran

That's a good one..

does this remark have to do with anything I posted?

I am not arguing that the lack of size is a positive.
[ Edited by buck on Jan 31, 2014 at 4:20 PM ]

That's a good one..

If the big guys aren't the answer I suppose using the small guys would get better results? Jenkins and Patton are closer in size to TY Hilton.
you are the twin brother of SanDiego49er, aren't you?
Originally posted by communist:
you are the twin brother of SanDiego49er, aren't you?

No. But jumping all over somebody for having a point that 4 of you disagree with is childish.
  • buck
  • Veteran

That's a good one..

If the big guys aren't the answer I suppose using the small guys would get better results? Jenkins and Patton are closer in size to TY Hilton.

stupid supposition

No, clearly Jon Baldwin should be the #1, #2, AND #3 WR, that guy gets it done......because he's big and stuff..
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 31, 2014 at 4:28 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone