There are 97 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The reason wanting to draft a "Big Frame" WR is just overrated

Being a "big" receiver doesn't mean you'll do better at getting off press coverage either. People often make that assumption and I think it has more to do with your mentality as a player than anything else. Now, sure if you're 5'8" and weight 170 pounds, you're going to have an especially hard time, but at that size you're generally playing in the slot anyways.

Baldwin is a big receiver and he was/is s**t against press coverage. Just because you are tall doesn't mean you know how to use that height or have the aggressiveness to attack the ball in the air, that every time a pass is thrown your way, that pass is YOURS and nobody else's.


Recent NFL history is replete with plenty of receiver busts who look like Tarzan and play like Jane.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 31, 2014 at 2:09 PM ]
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
You don't draft a big-framed WR just to have one. It's not because "their height alone makes them a RZ threat" even. You draft one that you expect to become a good pro in the NFL because they KNOW how to use their big frame to their advantage. That's what you're looking for; not just any big-framed guy out there.

Yet even on here you find people throwing up whatever big receiver they can find in the prospect listings and pushing them as the next big thing, regardless of skill.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Being a "big" receiver doesn't mean you'll do better at getting off press coverage either. People often make that assumption and I think it has more to do with your mentality as a player than anything else. Now, sure if you're 5'8" and weight 170 pounds, you're going to have an especially hard time, but at that size you're generally playing in the slot anyways.

Baldwin is a big receiver and he was/is s**t against press coverage. Just because you are tall doesn't mean you know how to use that height or have the aggressiveness to attack the ball in the air, that every time a pass is thrown your way, that pass is YOURS and nobody else's.


Recent NFL history is replete with plenty of receiver busts who look like Tarzan and play like Jane.

Seattle is the defense-du-jour for the next few years so other teams will be going bigger at CB. In a perfect world you will be looking for receivers who are good against physical corners in whatever size you find them.
Originally posted by bzborow1:
I do think that certain traits a particular receiver has might be more valuable to different teams in different situations. For example, if Crabtree was 6'5" instead of 6'0" it makes that deep jump ball a slightly better play. Having said that, I do agree with you in principle.

The draftniks and the wannabe draftniks continue to look for ways to differentiate players more easily and often times the physical size/speed combo pops up as an obvious point of differentiation. What they tend to overlook (I feel) is the general question of "who is better at the game of football". We as a public tend to believe we can just suddenly "coach up" a physical specimen in a way that hasn't been seen at the collegiate level yet. Lets get real here, what more can they teach that a college crew can't? College coaches frequently bounce between NFL and NCAA so what's different? I believe people overstate how much your staff can teach the intangibles (timing, reading defenses, etc.) or improve their fundamentals (ie. route running). While there are always success stories there are a ton of failures. Stock your team with guys who can play the game and you start to get nervous drafting speed guys with limited reps (Jenkins anybody?).


I think for receivers, attitude is everything, that sort of confidence bordering on being cocky, that is one of the first things I look for. A big wimpy guy is worse than a smaller slot receiver who plays with a chip on his shoulder. Jenkins I think flunked out because his attitude wasnt there, you never looked at him and said "wow, that guy plays with fire", he always seemed kind of dejected and half-hearted.


Jenkins is a bust, Patton looks promising. AJ Jenkins has more natural athletic ability and talent, Patton has more confidence and a better work ethic.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 31, 2014 at 2:13 PM ]
One thing to take into consideration, as far as receiver size is concerned, is run blocking. Until this team moves away from a power running style, I expect to see bigger receivers that start on offense that can run block well. I think the Jenkins pick could scare Baalke away from drafting another small speedster as well.
If you could have a stud 6'4 WR or a stud 6'0 WR which would you take?
A big-frame is not enough in itself but it is certainly the tie breaker. That is especially true if you have a QB that can place the ball accurately to take advantage of that large frame. Just look at what Denver brings: Decker 6'3" 220, Demaryius Thomas 6'3" 230, add in big athletic TEs and it allows them to utilize Welker. Manning has the ability to put the ball in a place that allows them to use their size.

One without the other is of little value.
Originally posted by NinerGod:
If you could have a stud 6'4 WR or a stud 6'0 WR which would you take?

6'4 without a doubt. I feel that a receiver with 4 extra inches could contribute in more areas of the game.
Alshon Jeffery and Brandon Marshall are about as dangerous a duo as any team has and size has a LOT to do with that.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I think skill is far more important than size overall. The guys who are true superfreaks, who are big, fast, highly skilled, usually end up going in the Top 5 picks of the draft. Your Calvin Johnson's, Larry Fitzgerald's, AJ Green type receivers. Unless you're a super chitty team, you aren't drafting one of those guys. Gordon would have been up there with that group as well if he hadn't been a complete screwup.


Then you look at some of the bigger receivers taken on in the latter part of the 1st round and 2nd round, this is where you fall into a trap. Jon Baldwin, Stephen Hill....etc. Drafting a guy because he's bigger, not because he's skilled almost always leads to disaster. For where the 49ers will be picking in the 1st round, I'd take someone like Jarvis Landry over any "big" receiver that will be available at that point. Excellent route runner, freakishly good hands, clutch player on 3rd down....etc...etc


Find the most talented guy, the best route runner, the best hands, the most tenacious and hard-working, whether big or small, find that guy.
After all, you would go for Benjamin with our 1st-rounder, admit it, ADMIT IT
Originally posted by walker807:
One thing to take into consideration, as far as receiver size is concerned, is run blocking. Until this team moves away from a power running style, I expect to see bigger receivers that start on offense that can run block well. I think the Jenkins pick could scare Baalke away from drafting another small speedster as well.

It will be interesting to see what Baalke does in the draft. If we see another big blocker pick like Vance McDonald over a pass catching type we will know that more power running is in the future.

I still can't figure out the Jenkins/James picks. They just don't fit the Harbaugh offense. There was a disconnect there somewhere.
I agree but it all depends on how good of a prospect the guy is. The guys you mentioned in this upcoming draft are nowhere near being compared to Fitz, CJ or Julio. I think most of the taller wr's in this years draft are kinda wack. Gotta really focus on thier skill set. Folks were head over heels for Stephen Hill just b/c he was tall.
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by walker807:
One thing to take into consideration, as far as receiver size is concerned, is run blocking. Until this team moves away from a power running style, I expect to see bigger receivers that start on offense that can run block well. I think the Jenkins pick could scare Baalke away from drafting another small speedster as well.

It will be interesting to see what Baalke does in the draft. If we see another big blocker pick like Vance McDonald over a pass catching type we will know that more power running is in the future.

I still can't figure out the Jenkins/James picks. They just don't fit the Harbaugh offense. There was a disconnect there somewhere.

Harbaugh has shown a fascination with trying to get too cute with the offense. This was a big reason for losses in games 2 and 3. I think the picks may have been a reflection of that attitude that he seems to be getting away from, thank god.
Originally posted by walker807:
Harbaugh has shown a fascination with trying to get too cute with the offense. This was a big reason for losses in games 2 and 3. I think the picks may have been a reflection of that attitude that he seems to be getting away from, thank god.

The thing that makes me want to cry is that they could have had Doug Martin and Alshon Jeffery or Doug Martin and TY Hilton or Kendall Reyes and some other receiver.
Originally posted by walker807:
Alshon Jeffery and Brandon Marshall are about as dangerous a duo as any team has and size has a LOT to do with that.
It is certainly a bonus if you have a big body but you have still to know how to use it effectively.