LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 234 users in the forums

The reason wanting to draft a "Big Frame" WR is just overrated

Originally posted by SofaKing:
I agree with the premise. Skill should be come before size. But it's not always that simple. We drafted A.J. Jenkins over some bigger WRs because we were led to believe he was more skilled, and better deep threat. The FO was dead wrong. I'm still trying to figure out what they saw in him that led them to believe he was a better player than Alshon Jeffery.

Very fast, good hands and ran good routes. Would have been a great compliment to Crabs and Boldin but he needed to get stronger and had work ethic issues. I still think (hope) he will develop into a decent WR
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
6'2" 200 lbs. (his playing weight) absolutely is "tall" and big bodied. It's bigger than average. The average American male is 5'9" - 5'10"ish. A lot of DB's in that era and today are around 5'10" 180 lbs. Leaving him significantly bigger than his average opponent. He played before the Richard Sherman Seattle DB type was in vogue. Now people look for 6'3" - 6'4" safetys and corners. That wasn't always the case.

The average American male? First of all, America is a multi-cultural/ethnic country. It consists of statuesque Scandinavians and short Asians, large bodied Africans and small boned Europeans etc etc... So getting the height/weight of an "average" American isn't really accurate. Also, the average American male does not play Football. We are comparing wide receivers with wide receivers, not stock brokers.

That's like saying an NBA player is "tall" just because he's 6'3"....in the NBA he's a point guard, the smallest position on the court!
I'm 6'4", the tallest in my workplace and family but when I step on a basketball court, guys tower over me.

Jerry Rice played at 200, that's true up until 1995. He lost 15 pounds because he wanted to get faster and never put back on the weight. His playing weight from 1996-2005 was 196 lbs. or less. Standing beside Tim Brown (who is 6'1"), Rice barely is much taller.

I'm not trying to nitpick but if you think Jerry Rice was a "big" receiver, you're kidding yourself. If that's the case, so is Crabtree.

Jerry himself said in his recent Football Life documentary "I was always a skinny guy so I had to make sure I took care of my body"
[ Edited by SaksV on Feb 2, 2014 at 11:22 AM ]
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
The average NFL Cornerback is 5-11 190. This is a fact. So in essence (according to this thread's logic), all that you need to be to be considered a "tall/big bodied" receiver is to be 6-0 195 or more.
[ Edited by SaksV on Feb 2, 2014 at 11:19 AM ]
I'm sold on getting bigger receivers, after watching the way Denver's big physical receivers such as Demaryius Thomas and Eric Decker are just knocking the Seahawks cornerbacks on their asses and beating them all over the field, getting all that separation, I'm completely sold, I want some big receivers like that so the 49ers can dominate too.
I do think we need to do better at QB also, we can't have a one-read guy who turns over the ball the way Kaepernick does, we need a guy like Manning who gets it done against Seattle every time...........
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I'm sold on getting bigger receivers, after watching the way Denver's big physical receivers such as Demaryius Thomas and Eric Decker are just knocking the Seahawks cornerbacks on their asses and beating them all over the field, getting all that separation, I'm completely sold, I want some big receivers like that so the 49ers can dominate too.

I know Wes Welker is tearing them apart too. You're just not going to beat Seattle thru the air. If you're drafting to beat Seattle focus somewhere else.
Originally posted by tjd808185:
I know Wes Welker is tearing them apart too. You're just not going to beat Seattle thru the air. If you're drafting to beat Seattle focus somewhere else.

That can't be, after all, I've heard so much how you need physical receivers to destroy those cornerbacks and have their way with them, there's no way Denver won't win, they've got some HUGE receivers and that's all that really matters.

So far Thomas is leading with 12 catches and a TD. Not his fault Manning is playing like crap.
That can't be, after all, I've heard so much how you need physical receivers to destroy those cornerbacks and have their way with them, there's no way Denver won't win, they've got some HUGE receivers and that's all that really matters.

The problem is they don't have enough them. 2 6'3 receivers is fine but what good does that do you in those 5 receiver sets? Plus Sherman is 6'3 himself so realistically speaking they need to find themselves a 6'6 receiver to counter him.

Or we can just cut the crap and realize there's more to football than a passing attack. Seattle has dominated Denver just about everywhere.
Originally posted by jreff22:
So far Thomas is leading with 12 catches and a TD. Not his fault Manning is playing like crap.

What were his numbers like when the game still mattered? BRB, talking up garbage time stat padding like the game still matters. As much as people talk about how big wide receivers are the key to everything, reality just doesn't support that. No receiver played as well against Seattle as TY Hilton did, you need size, strength and speed, 49ers have decent size and very good strength with Boldin and Crabtree, they don't have any real speed.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 2, 2014 at 6:41 PM ]

Originally posted by jreff22:
He is so physical that he couldnt even hold on to the ball...
[ Edited by communist on Feb 2, 2014 at 6:59 PM ]
Originally posted by communist:
He is so physical that he couldnt even hold on the ball...

Now that's physical with a capital P.
What were his numbers like when the game still mattered? BRB, talking up garbage time stat padding like the game still matters. As much as people talk about how big wide receivers are the key to everything, reality just doesn't support that. No receiver played as well against Seattle as TY Hilton did, you need size, strength and speed, 49ers have decent size and very good strength with Boldin and Crabtree, they don't have any real speed.
Dont steal my conclusions please

In all seriousness, given the need for speed, what receivers would you go after?
We have the great possession receivers, we need to stretch the Seahawks out with speed. I know Jenkins didn't workout, but that doesn't mean the concept is bad.
BIG, small, fast, tall.

Too many false dichotomies.

We just need receivers who can make plays and produce.
Share 49ersWebzone