LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 249 users in the forums

Mock covering 49ers needs

49ers lock up Kaep and Aldon who wont break the bank because Kaep had a down year and Aldon has had some off the field issues.

Resign/FA Additions: Anquan Boldin WR 2 year $10 million contract, Michael Whilhoite ILB, Kassim Osgood WR, Perish Cox CB, Phil Dawson K 1-2 years $2.5 million a year, sign Will Blackmon CB

Cut/FA Departures: Carlos Rodgers CB, Donte Whitner SS, Mario Manningham WR, Jonathon Goodwin C, Jon Baldwin WR, Tarell Brown CB, Anthony Dixon RB, Colt McCoy QB, Adam Snyder OG, Demarcus Dobbs DT, Eric Wright CB.

Needs (in this order): S, CB, WR, C
Our biggest need at this point is safety. With Whitner leaving we need a starting caliber safety. Second I'd put cornerback as we will be loosing two starters but we will have Culliver back and I have us signing Will Blackmon a big physical corner. Then I would say receiver. People want the 49ers to draft 3 WR's but there wouldn't be any room for them. We just need to draft one solid receiver to take over for Boldin in two years. Lastly I would put center even though I believe Kilgore is capable of starting.

Trade our 1st (30) and 3rd round (77) to move up to pick 17 in the 1st round from the Cowboys.
Trade or 2nd (62) for a 2015 2nd and 4th round pick.

1(17). Ha Ha Clinton-Dix FS 6-1 208. Clinton-Dix changes directions fluidly and accelerates smoothly. He reads the quarterback's eyes well and breaks on the ball, showing a late burst to close downhill. He has good hands and shows vision and natural open-field running skills with the ball in his hands. Clinton-Dix anticipates the run well, attacking the line of scrimmage to make some impressive stops up close. With the loss of Whitner safety will be our biggest need and a Reid and Clinton-Dix safety combo will be dominant for years.

2(55). Davante Adams 6-2 216. A former high school basketball standout, Davante Adams possesses superior athleticism. His leaping ability is undeniable; Adams is a dangerous red-zone threat, always seeming to come down with jump balls. His body control is also a strong point. Adams routinely does an excellent job reading the ball in the air and making the right adjustments to put himself in position to make catches. His 102 catches for 1,312 yards and 14 touchdowns earned the Mountain West Freshman of the Year in 2012. For an encore he followed that up with 131 catches for 1719 yards and 24 TD in 2013! Compares to James Jones.

3(94). Brian Stork C 6-4 306. Tenacious and technically sound center whose awareness and reliability made him an underrated factor in Jameis Winston's Heisman campaign. Very good initial quickness, whether snapping the ball out of shotgun or the traditional exchange and turning to seal off defenders or releasing to block downfield. Shoots his hands into the chest plate of defenders and plays with his knees bent and butt down, maximizing his leverage.

3(comp). EJ Gaines CB 5-11 194. Gaines sports a well-defined build for the position. The combination of his broad-shouldered, long-armed frame and very good overall athleticism makes him a tough draw for any pass-catcher. Has alternately lined up in press or off-man on most snaps, showing the fluid hips to turn and run with receivers, as well as very good lateral agility and balance and speed to burn. He anticipates routes well, under-cutting receivers to remain between them and the quarterback and has quick, active hands. Gaines is a reliable open-field tackler. Gaines' ability to avoid blockers and wrap securely make him a frequent blitz threat off the edge. He had a great game against OSU in the cotton bowl.

4(126). Josh Mauro DE 6-6 282. Broad-shouldered, country-strong defensive lineman whose versatility is sure to intrigue scouts operating for 4-3 and 3-4 teams alike. Lined up predominately at defensive end for the Cardinal but also saw action inside as a defensive tackle and even on the nose. Possesses good initial quickness off the snap and is very powerful, using his long arms and strong hands to stonewall would-be blockers and often shed them to be in position to make a play at the point of attack. Physical tackler who arrives with a thud and wraps his arms securely for the reliable takedown. Alert defender who gets his hands into passing lanes. High effort player who hustles down the line of scrimmage in an effort to make the play. Compares to Brett Keisel.

5(158). James White RB 5-10 206. LaMichael James says he wants out so we could possibly trade him and pick up White. He has great vision, agility, burst and surprising power. Gets to the second level quickly, and has better power than his size suggests because he keeps his legs churning and upper body squirming as he's being tackled. Attentive and competitive pass blocker. Good hands to reel in off-target throws and make defenders miss.

6(190). Aaron Colvin CB 6-0 192. Colvin is a physical corner with a tough-minded approach against the run and in coverage. He was the best corner at the senior bowl until he tore his ACL. A day 2 talent can now fall into the 49ers hands in round 6. The 49ers can redshirt him and bring him in to compete in 2015.

7(218). Spencer Long OG 6-4 315. Long is a very intelligent and experienced colligate player. He is very athletic as he pulls a lot for Nebraska's offense. He also has the size and strength to succeed in the NFL. He is another IR stash after tearing his ACL this season.

7(219). Trey Millard FB/TE/WR 6-2 253. Millard is a very athletic and talented fullback. He has the athleticism and skills after the catch to be used in an H-Back role in the NFL. He's also a strong runner who knows how to get behind his pads and could serve as a goal line back. He was a projected 5th round pick but after tearing his ACL he isn't expected to get drafted. He could fulfill an Anthony Dixon/Delanie Walker type of role. He could be an IR stash for 2014.

7(220). Stephen Morris QB 6-2 208. Quick athlete with elusive moves and excellent feel in the pocket to maneuver around the noise to keep plays alive. Sets up quickly in the pocket and stays balanced through his delivery, showing precise downfield vision and touch. Has improved substantially with his pre-snap recognition skills to find mismatches and understand where he wants to go with the football before the pocket collapses. All the arm strength needed for the next level.

7(222). Nickoe Whitley FS 6-0 205. Whitley is one of best playmakers at the safety position in the country with great ball skills. He is a massive impact hitter that is excellent in run support. He takes good angles to the ball also. Coming off ACL injury he will he an IR stash and then replace Dahl as a backup and special teams player.

53 Man Roster/Depth Chart:
QB: Kaepernick, Morris, Bethel-Thompson
RB: Gore, Hunter, Lattimore, White
FB: Miller
WR: Crabtree, Boldin, Adams, Patton, Osgood
TE: Davis, McDonald, Celek
OT: Staley, Davis, Bykowski
OG: Iupati, Boone, Looney
C: Stork, Kilgore
DT: J. Smith, McDonald, Carradine, Mauro, TJE
NT: Dorsey, Williams, Dial
OLB: A. Smith, Brooks, Lemonier, Skuta
ILB: Willis, Whilhoite, Moody
CB: Brock, Culliver, Gaines, Blackmon, Cox, Morris
FS: Clinton-Dix, Dahl, Ventrone
SS: Reid, Spillman
ST: Lee, McDermott, Dawson

IR/PUP List: Navorro Bowman ILB, Aaron Colvin CB, Trey Millard FB/TE, Spencer Long OG, Nickoe Whitley FS
Just an FYI, Aldon won't get extended this offseason, 49ers will exercise their 5th year option on him after this next season.
I like the Ha Ha Clinton Dix pick but can he play strong safety or do we move pro bowl safety Eric Reid to that slot i'm not sure that is a good fit for him. I don't like your 2nd round choice of Devante Adams as he put up great numbers against 2nd rate competition. I don't think moving up to draft another free safety is the answer and I think we need to stand pat and keep all over our picks since we are losing a lot free agents.

1. 30th - S - Calvin Pryor - Physical hard hitting safety to replace Donte Hitner

2.A - WR - Jarvis Landry - 6'1" 195 LSU

2.B - CB - Keith McGill - 6'3" 214 Utah

3.A - DT - Dan McCullers - 6'6⅞"348 Tennessee

3.B - LB - Christian Jones - 6'3⅜"234 Florida State - Can play inside or out as he gives flexibility with Navarro Bowman being out & Aldon Smith situation unsolved.

4. - WR - Martavis Bryant 6'5" 200 Clemson - Rebuilding WR Corps.

5. - RB James White 5'9" 206 Wisconsin

6. - OG - Brandon Linder 6'5⅜"316 Miami (FL)

7. - CB - Carrington Byndom 6'0" 185 Texas

7B - WR - Allen Hurns 6'1¼"193 Miami (FL)
Originally posted by horusking:
I like the Ha Ha Clinton Dix pick but can he play strong safety or do we move pro bowl safety Eric Reid to that slot i'm not sure that is a good fit for him. I don't like your 2nd round choice of Devante Adams as he put up great numbers against 2nd rate competition. I don't think moving up to draft another free safety is the answer and I think we need to stand pat and keep all over our picks since we are losing a lot free agents.

1. 30th - S - Calvin Pryor - Physical hard hitting safety to replace Donte Hitner

3.B - LB - Christian Jones - 6'3⅜"234 Florida State - Can play inside or out as he gives flexibility with Navarro Bowman being out & Aldon Smith situation unsolved.

7B - WR - Allen Hurns 6'1�"193 Miami (FL)

Pryor isn't nearly as good as Clinton-Dix in coverage. With the loss of Whitner safety is our biggest need. Clinton-Dix is hands down the best safety in the draft. Also Reid was a pro bowl safety not free safety. Which means he could play either position. There is not a dramatic difference.
Originally posted by sLarsen7:
49ers lock up Kaep and Aldon who wont break the bank because Kaep had a down year and Aldon has had some off the field issues.

Resign/FA Additions: Anquan Boldin WR 2 year $10 million contract, Michael Whilhoite ILB, Kassim Osgood WR, Perish Cox CB, Phil Dawson K 1-2 years $2.5 million a year, sign Will Blackmon CB

Cut/FA Departures: Carlos Rodgers CB, Donte Whitner SS, Mario Manningham WR, Jonathon Goodwin C, Jon Baldwin WR, Tarell Brown CB, Anthony Dixon RB, Colt McCoy QB, Adam Snyder OG, Demarcus Dobbs DT, Eric Wright CB.

Needs (in this order): S, CB, WR, C
Our biggest need at this point is safety. With Whitner leaving we need a starting caliber safety. Second I'd put cornerback as we will be loosing two starters but we will have Culliver back and I have us signing Will Blackmon a big physical corner. Then I would say receiver. People want the 49ers to draft 3 WR's but there wouldn't be any room for them. We just need to draft one solid receiver to take over for Boldin in two years. Lastly I would put center even though I believe Kilgore is capable of starting.

Trade our 1st (30) and 3rd round (77) to move up to pick 17 in the 1st round from the Cowboys.
Trade or 2nd (62) for a 2015 2nd and 4th round pick.

1(17). Ha Ha Clinton-Dix FS 6-1 208. Clinton-Dix changes directions fluidly and accelerates smoothly. He reads the quarterback's eyes well and breaks on the ball, showing a late burst to close downhill. He has good hands and shows vision and natural open-field running skills with the ball in his hands. Clinton-Dix anticipates the run well, attacking the line of scrimmage to make some impressive stops up close. With the loss of Whitner safety will be our biggest need and a Reid and Clinton-Dix safety combo will be dominant for years.

2(55). Davante Adams 6-2 216. A former high school basketball standout, Davante Adams possesses superior athleticism. His leaping ability is undeniable; Adams is a dangerous red-zone threat, always seeming to come down with jump balls. His body control is also a strong point. Adams routinely does an excellent job reading the ball in the air and making the right adjustments to put himself in position to make catches. His 102 catches for 1,312 yards and 14 touchdowns earned the Mountain West Freshman of the Year in 2012. For an encore he followed that up with 131 catches for 1719 yards and 24 TD in 2013! Compares to James Jones.

3(94). Brian Stork C 6-4 306. Tenacious and technically sound center whose awareness and reliability made him an underrated factor in Jameis Winston's Heisman campaign. Very good initial quickness, whether snapping the ball out of shotgun or the traditional exchange and turning to seal off defenders or releasing to block downfield. Shoots his hands into the chest plate of defenders and plays with his knees bent and butt down, maximizing his leverage.

3(comp). EJ Gaines CB 5-11 194. Gaines sports a well-defined build for the position. The combination of his broad-shouldered, long-armed frame and very good overall athleticism makes him a tough draw for any pass-catcher. Has alternately lined up in press or off-man on most snaps, showing the fluid hips to turn and run with receivers, as well as very good lateral agility and balance and speed to burn. He anticipates routes well, under-cutting receivers to remain between them and the quarterback and has quick, active hands. Gaines is a reliable open-field tackler. Gaines' ability to avoid blockers and wrap securely make him a frequent blitz threat off the edge. He had a great game against OSU in the cotton bowl.

4(126). Josh Mauro DE 6-6 282. Broad-shouldered, country-strong defensive lineman whose versatility is sure to intrigue scouts operating for 4-3 and 3-4 teams alike. Lined up predominately at defensive end for the Cardinal but also saw action inside as a defensive tackle and even on the nose. Possesses good initial quickness off the snap and is very powerful, using his long arms and strong hands to stonewall would-be blockers and often shed them to be in position to make a play at the point of attack. Physical tackler who arrives with a thud and wraps his arms securely for the reliable takedown. Alert defender who gets his hands into passing lanes. High effort player who hustles down the line of scrimmage in an effort to make the play. Compares to Brett Keisel.

5(158). James White RB 5-10 206. LaMichael James says he wants out so we could possibly trade him and pick up White. He has great vision, agility, burst and surprising power. Gets to the second level quickly, and has better power than his size suggests because he keeps his legs churning and upper body squirming as he's being tackled. Attentive and competitive pass blocker. Good hands to reel in off-target throws and make defenders miss.

6(190). Aaron Colvin CB 6-0 192. Colvin is a physical corner with a tough-minded approach against the run and in coverage. He was the best corner at the senior bowl until he tore his ACL. A day 2 talent can now fall into the 49ers hands in round 6. The 49ers can redshirt him and bring him in to compete in 2015.

7(218). Spencer Long OG 6-4 315. Long is a very intelligent and experienced colligate player. He is very athletic as he pulls a lot for Nebraska's offense. He also has the size and strength to succeed in the NFL. He is another IR stash after tearing his ACL this season.

7(219). Trey Millard FB/TE/WR 6-2 253. Millard is a very athletic and talented fullback. He has the athleticism and skills after the catch to be used in an H-Back role in the NFL. He's also a strong runner who knows how to get behind his pads and could serve as a goal line back. He was a projected 5th round pick but after tearing his ACL he isn't expected to get drafted. He could fulfill an Anthony Dixon/Delanie Walker type of role. He could be an IR stash for 2014.

7(220). Stephen Morris QB 6-2 208. Quick athlete with elusive moves and excellent feel in the pocket to maneuver around the noise to keep plays alive. Sets up quickly in the pocket and stays balanced through his delivery, showing precise downfield vision and touch. Has improved substantially with his pre-snap recognition skills to find mismatches and understand where he wants to go with the football before the pocket collapses. All the arm strength needed for the next level.

7(222). Nickoe Whitley FS 6-0 205. Whitley is one of best playmakers at the safety position in the country with great ball skills. He is a massive impact hitter that is excellent in run support. He takes good angles to the ball also. Coming off ACL injury he will he an IR stash and then replace Dahl as a backup and special teams player.

53 Man Roster/Depth Chart:
QB: Kaepernick, Morris, Bethel-Thompson
RB: Gore, Hunter, Lattimore, White
FB: Miller
WR: Crabtree, Boldin, Adams, Patton, Osgood
TE: Davis, McDonald, Celek
OT: Staley, Davis, Bykowski
OG: Iupati, Boone, Looney
C: Stork, Kilgore
DT: J. Smith, McDonald, Carradine, Mauro, TJE
NT: Dorsey, Williams, Dial
OLB: A. Smith, Brooks, Lemonier, Skuta
ILB: Willis, Whilhoite, Moody
CB: Brock, Culliver, Gaines, Blackmon, Cox, Morris
FS: Clinton-Dix, Dahl, Ventrone
SS: Reid, Spillman
ST: Lee, McDermott, Dawson

IR/PUP List: Navorro Bowman ILB, Aaron Colvin CB, Trey Millard FB/TE, Spencer Long OG, Nickoe Whitley FS

1. Don't like the move up in round 1 for clinton-dix. Too much talented depth in this draft to give up a 3rd rounder unless a truly great opportunity presents itself. There are some great safties we could draft at #30 or even get with 1 of our 2nd rounders. He might even fall to the late 20's like Ed Reed did or so and we could move up for a 5th and get him. With all this depth I would rather risk he drops further.

2. Love the Davante Adams pick but hate the trade for our 2nd rounder. I would trade it for a 1st rounder but not just another 2nd with a 4th round kicker.

3. We are probably going to lose 3 CB's to FA so we should be drafting 2 and 1 needs to be capable of covering in the slot. Even if we sign a CB which might be difficult when we are working so hard to free up cap space for Kap, Smith and then Crabtree.

4. Stork and Mauro great picks. If we use our 7th rounders like the PUP stashes. Don't need to draft a RB in round 5. We have 4. Even if we trade James we still have 3 left. Better to stand pat and draft 1 after Gore decides to retire or Hunter becomes a FA. We could also look to draft a KR/RB in the 7th like Dri Archer.

5. Wouldn't mind a 2nd WR in the draft to develop and add depth. Assuming we get Boldin back if we draft 1 we are low on depth. If Boldin or Crabtree gets hurt the rookie fills in, patton takes the slot and Osgood is our only depth. It also generally takes a season or 2 to develop a WR.

6. Been thinking about drafting a punter. If the top punter falls to the 7th round maybe we draft him. If he can win the job from Andy Lee we would save millions in cap space over the next 4 years.
I love the thought out plan and agree with everyone you mentioned in resigning and bringing back. Its too bad we can't bring everyone back.

I like your picks for the most part, but I would really try to snag Odell Beckham early as he has great versatility.
Well thought out. Clinton-Dix and Reid would form an imposing duo for years to come.
Originally posted by horusking:

7B - WR - Allen Hurns 6'1¼"193 Miami (FL)
I like all except the Pryor pick,my favorite wr picks of Landry and Bryant and Hurns is a real sleeper
There will be some of the top S on the board at #30...no real need to trade up to get one. Talking about Bucannon, Bailey, maybe others.

There are a number of other WR options beside Adams...have to remember he played in MWC, not known for much defense. If they don't trade up in the 1st rd, one of these could well be there:

- Benjamin. Great size, hands, potentially huge RZ target. BCS Champion.
- Beckham. Great speed, can stretch defenses...something we don't have now. SEC.
- Robinson. Good speed, size (6-3, 205). Big-10
- Landry. Good speed, tough receiver, good hands. SEC
- Matthews. Decent speed, makes tough catches, good size. SEC

Given Harbaugh has both Looney & Kilgore ready to take over at C, why spend a 3rd rd pick on one. Also, Snyder's versatility is highly valued, I'd be leery about cutting him. I'd also expect a healthy Marquardt to win the swing OT position. No problem drafting a versatile OL or two, but not as starters.

Like the Gaines pick. Not sure if Baalke will be signing many/any FA's outside his own (WRT Blackmon). Joyner would be a good slot CB to draft.

We're already deep at DL...Carradine will join the group. Possible Dial could be the odd man out.

Given we already have Bethel-Thompson, I'd love to see Baalke sign Josh McCown or another vet b/u QB who's proven they can win. Nothing wrong w/drafting another youngster, though.
Really like it.

Will Blackmon would be a solid pick up and I have him in my upcoming mock. He hit hard and can cover plus I'm certain he's only 29.

I really don't know how much of a drop off Buchannon is fro Dix BUT I'm for not moving up for him but someone else.

I'm not listing it yet because I don't want to hijack your thread but rather comment on it.

Center will be a debate. Stork would be an excellent pick. But NOBODY really knows how well Kilgore will man the position. Personally, I think since he's had over 2 years in the system - he'll be very good. Also I think Looney will come on strong at the G position.

I didn't know LMJ said he wanted out - when was that?

I'm not really sold on Adams based on the competition he faced.

I love the IR/PUP list except for Millard. Solid player but I'm for getting Easley in a major way. With our record being so good the chance at getting such a high potential guy won't happen often.

Thanks for a really good post.

Nice off season mock but do you really think Boldin is taking a paycut? He got 6 million this year. This is last decent sized contract coming up and 4 million isn't gonna be enough to keep him in my opinion.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Really like it.

Will Blackmon would be a solid pick up and I have him in my upcoming mock. He hit hard and can cover plus I'm certain he's only 29.

I really don't know how much of a drop off Buchannon is fro Dix BUT I'm for not moving up for him but someone else.

I'm not listing it yet because I don't want to hijack your thread but rather comment on it.

Center will be a debate. Stork would be an excellent pick. But NOBODY really knows how well Kilgore will man the position. Personally, I think since he's had over 2 years in the system - he'll be very good. Also I think Looney will come on strong at the G position.

I didn't know LMJ said he wanted out - when was that?

I'm not really sold on Adams based on the competition he faced.

I love the IR/PUP list except for Millard. Solid player but I'm for getting Easley in a major way. With our record being so good the chance at getting such a high potential guy won't happen often.

Thanks for a really good post.

If they take a C that early I think that means the staff might not be sold yet on Kilgore. If they take one later on then I thik it means theyare sold on him. Gonna be interesting to see how that plays out. Center was teh weak spot of the o line.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
There will be some of the top S on the board at #30...no real need to trade up to get one. Talking about Bucannon, Bailey, maybe others.

There are a number of other WR options beside Adams...have to remember he played in MWC, not known for much defense. If they don't trade up in the 1st rd, one of these could well be there:

- Benjamin. Great size, hands, potentially huge RZ target. BCS Champion.
- Beckham. Great speed, can stretch defenses...something we don't have now. SEC.
- Robinson. Good speed, size (6-3, 205). Big-10
- Landry. Good speed, tough receiver, good hands. SEC
- Matthews. Decent speed, makes tough catches, good size. SEC

Given Harbaugh has both Looney & Kilgore ready to take over at C, why spend a 3rd rd pick on one. Also, Snyder's versatility is highly valued, I'd be leery about cutting him. I'd also expect a healthy Marquardt to win the swing OT position. No problem drafting a versatile OL or two, but not as starters.

Like the Gaines pick. Not sure if Baalke will be signing many/any FA's outside his own (WRT Blackmon). Joyner would be a good slot CB to draft.

We're already deep at DL...Carradine will join the group. Possible Dial could be the odd man out.

Given we already have Bethel-Thompson, I'd love to see Baalke sign Josh McCown or another vet b/u QB who's proven they can win. Nothing wrong w/drafting another youngster, though.

It's early yet so we don't have a read on the 49ers plan yet.

We are going to lose Whitner. He seems to want a big long term contract and I don't see us having the cap space. We could go after a safety in the 1st round like last year or get one in the 2nd and 3rd and count on him to start or we could sign a vet willing to take a 1 yr deal and draft one to compete with him and start his 2nd year if not as a rookie. We could then drop Dahl as well to help offset the signing.

At center we just don't know yet. The 49ers believe big time in a great offensive line. If they see greatness in Kilgore then you will see them maybe look for an understudy later but if they just think he is good they won't hesitate to draft a Center early to be the eventual starter if not day 1 if they like one available. We have 7 picks in the 1st 4 rounds.

2 CB's, 1 SS, 1 WR

That leaves 3 more picks available. They could get a Center, an ILB, a DT, a 2nd WR or even a QB.
We are not sure yet how they want to approach the back up QB spot, sign a vet or draft a rookie
An ILB for depth could be had later or we could sign a vet to 1yr deal or draft 1 in the 3rd or 4th rounds
a 2nd WR early only makes sense if a guy the 49ers are high on is still available with the late 3rd or 4th round picks.
If a really talented DT is available I could see us taking one in round 1 on to complete a rotation and eventually start.
With all the if this or if that above if they see a Center in rounds 2 on they believe is an upgrade I think they dive all over it.
A. 49ers only have 3 7 rounders, not 4.

B. Clinton-Dix will likely be gone before that spot, don't see how the Rams pass up on the consensus top safety in the draft when that is their biggest need on defense by far.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
A. 49ers only have 3 7 rounders, not 4.

B. Clinton-Dix will likely be gone before that spot, don't see how the Rams pass up on the consensus top safety in the draft when that is their biggest need on defense by far.

He would also need to trade up in front of Dallas as they also have a desperate nede for safety help and I can't see them passing him up if he falls into their lap.
Just a little FYI Kaep had the best statistcal year of any 49er qb over the last ten years, that was without his number one wr for 3/4 of the year. He is not gonna come cheap.
Share 49ersWebzone