There are 49 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Injured Players in 2014 Draft

I wouldn't mind going with the zombie squad again. It's sure beats drafting healthy players and then watching them perform well and then get signed by other teams off the waiver wire; like Cooper, Daniels etc.
What about Morgan Breslin? He played OLB/DE, but at 6'1", 250 lbs, he might need to transition to ILB.
I would be down for drafting a couple of guys we can stash & redshirt this season since we have plenty of picks.
Were probably picking a few of these guys up we got enough picks to make it happen
Anyone else to add to the list
No more red shirting please!!!!! we need players now not next season.
Originally posted by Raul98:
No more red shirting please!!!!! we need players now not next season.

Disagree. Last year's red shirting has given us the equivalent of two first rounders joining the squad this year. I would take a couple depending on availability and perhaps trade back a pick or so into next year's draft.

Baalke is a long term planner.
Got to Get Long OG out of Nebraska. Need some insurance for Iupati.

Long
Colvin - Only reason he is not above Long is they need immediate help now at CB and they will use a high draft pick
Millard - Just a bonus to stash this guy and have him learn the H-back position. Should also fill in as Dixon's replacement in big back/short yardage situations.
Originally posted by English:
Disagree. Last year's red shirting has given us the equivalent of two first rounders joining the squad this year. I would take a couple depending on availability and perhaps trade back a pick or so into next year's draft.

Baalke is a long term planner.

We are due what,...12 picks? Plus we have to add the guys joining this year,...so we can only redshirt so many. This is is our prime year to make a run with a lot of expiring contracts. Hopefully someone is willing to allow us to trade up and give us a player like Watkins that can contribute immediately.

Otherwise I see moving up for an additional late 1st if we cant get someone like Watkins,...but no way do we need so many development-worthy kids in camp this year with limited spots.
[ Edited by random49er on Feb 9, 2014 at 4:34 PM ]
Originally posted by random49er:
We are due what,...12 picks? Plus we have to add the guys joining this year,...so we can only redshirt so many. This is is our prime year to make a run with a lot of expiring contracts. Hopefully someone is willing to allow us to trade up and give us a player like Watkins that can contribute immediately.

Otherwise I see moving up for an additional late 1st if we cant get someone like Watkins,...but no way do we need so many development-worthy kids in camp this year with limited spots.

To my knowledge, untrue statement, unless you have more detailed information regarding the IR/NFI/PUP list rules, you can have as many guys as you want.

That's the whole reason behind drafting injured players, to circumvent roster limitations. 3 groups that make up the 49ers Teams:

1.) 53 man regular season roster
2.) Practice squad- Players can be SIGNED AT ANY TIME, BY ANY TEAM.
3.) NFI/PUP/IR list- Players are EXCLUSIVELY OWNED BY THE 49ERS.



"So, while the NFL does not limit the number of players on the PUP or IR, the salary cap sets its own constraints. One of the reasons the salary cap came into effect is the alleged abuse of the IR list to get around the NFL roster limit. High revenue teams, like the Dallas Cowboys, allegedly had the ability to redshirt unlimited young players by claiming they were injured (when they weren't). Teams could place unlimited players on IR, thereby circumventing the roster limit."

http://www.ninersnation.com/2013/6/10/4411988/pup-list-rules-injured-reserve-rules-nfi-list-rules-49ers-injuries
I think this year will be tougher to do this, teams saw what the niners did and a lot of playoff teams that want to keep on top and have lots of picks will mimic what the niners did.
Garlicboy,.....you left out an important part though...

It should be noted, ALL player salaries of a team count in calculating that team's total salary cap during the season. This includes players that are on Injured Reserve (IR), Physically Unable to Perform (PUP), and the Practice Squad (PS).


We can only do so many,...the #s add up, for one. A 3rd round injured player still wants compensation whether you choose RS him or not. Also, they have to be injured. Lastly,...our goal is to actually get these guys to practice on the field right? Because once they practice at any point in time during the year, they get counted.

You can RS the player but he's not on the field developing,....hey, add all the guys you want and have them take up cap space instead of actually using that money for guys that are practicing,...but it is space and it is limited.
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by Raul98:
No more red shirting please!!!!! we need players now not next season.

Disagree. Last year's red shirting has given us the equivalent of two first rounders joining the squad this year. I would take a couple depending on availability and perhaps trade back a pick or so into next year's draft.

Baalke is a long term planner.
I don't mind this at all. We need to have guys that can potentially step in and become starters as well as give us flexibility when guys do not live up to their contract value or we can't afford to pay them. This strategy allows us to have talent that we never would've had a shot at drafting as well. So long as the picks are used on guys that are clear first or second round picks before their injury only, it is a very sound way on ensuring we continue to have top talent.

With that said, I like Aaron Murray, Dominique Easley, and Spencer Long.
Originally posted by random49er:
Garlicboy,.....you left out an important part though...

It should be noted, ALL player salaries of a team count in calculating that team's total salary cap during the season. This includes players that are on Injured Reserve (IR), Physically Unable to Perform (PUP), and the Practice Squad (PS).


We can only do so many,...the #s add up, for one. A 3rd round injured player still wants compensation whether you choose RS him or not. Also, they have to be injured. Lastly,...our goal is to actually get these guys to practice on the field right? Because once they practice at any point in time during the year, they get counted.

You can RS the player but he's not on the field developing,....hey, add all the guys you want and have them take up cap space instead of actually using that money for guys that are practicing,...but it is space and it is limited.

I thought they only count the top 51?
Ben Gardner DE Stanford