There are 83 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Cooper 2014 Mock Draft 3.0

The best way to cope with the loss to the Seahawks... Look to the future, which is why we're seeing so many mocks right now.. Figured I'd join the fun.

RESIGN:

Anquan Boldin- 2 years
Michael Wilhoite- 3 years
Phil Dawson- 2 years
Kassim Osgood- 1 year

FRANCHISE TAG:

Donte Whitner- ~$6.9 million

CUT:

Carlos Rogers
Craig Dahl

Jon Baldwin

EXTENSIONS:

Aldon Smith

RESTRUCTURE:

Vernon Davis
Patrick Willis

DRAFT (no trades)

1. Jordan Matthews, WR, 6-3, 209, Vanderbilt
Cousin of Jerry Rice.... Need I say more? Alright I will. Has the work ethic of his cousin (I know that's saying a lot, but by all accounts it's true).. Good size with decent speed to get downfield.. Just a FOOTBALL PLAYER, a GAMER, that's what we need..

2a. Lamarcus Joyner, CB/DB, 5-8, 190, Florida State
Again, a FOOTBALL PLAYER.. Arguably the best defensive player and unquestioned leader on one of the best defenses in the country.. Agile, fast, hard hitting, and physical.. Everyone was screaming for Tyrann Mathieu because he lost value due to size.. Well, Joyner provides possibly a bigger impact on the field with his short stature, without the off the field problems..

2b. Weston Richburg, C, 6-4, 300, Colorado State
IMO, the best center prospect in the draft.. Extremely strong, mobile, and smart..

3a. Robert "Zoom" Herron, WR, 5-9, 193, Wyoming
Guy's just explosive.. Proved this at the Senior Bowl.. Has the big play ability that our offense lacks.. Can stretch the defense extremely well and offer some special teams value as a returner. He's a more solid T.Y Hilton who can move up draft boards after he runs a sub 4.4 at the combine..

3b. Dion Bailey, S, 6-0, 210, USC
Safety who converted to lineback and back to safety for his junior year. Extremely versatile, which is what we need in our defensive backfield. I have us franchise tagging Whitner, so Bailey won't walk into a starting safety position, but he will develop and be a very talented backup, which we lack (see Dahl, Craig). He can also cover the slot receiver extremely well and has been doing a ton of that this year. He will be Whitner's replacement and will form a nice tandem with Eric
Reid..

3c. Walt Aikens, CB, 6-1, 205, Liberty
A true sleeper, Illinois transfer. Big corner who is extremely athletic and I think will rise up draft boards.. Long, strong, agile, and good leaping ability. Somewhat of a project, but he can learn along with Joyner behind Brock and Culliver..

4. David Fales, QB, 6-2, 220, San Jose State
This is quite ironic because he transferred from Nevada to get out of the shadow/running system of Colin Kaepernick.. But I think Fales is one of the more underrated quarterbacks in this draft. Just a good all around qb with surprisingly good mobility. I think he would easily walk on as the number 2 qb and has the potential to be a starter in the league someday somewhere..

5. Ronald Powell, OLB, 6-3, 240, Florida
Highly recruited prospect out of high school.. He had some injuries in college, but otherwise played pretty well.. Somewhat disappointing stats, but I think there is more to his game than that.. I think he can come to the NFL and put up numbers as a situational pass rusher. Can also play the middle if needed if Bowman isn't back for the start of the season..

6. Spencer Long, OG, 6-4, 315, Nebraska
Big physical guard that could provide depth and eventually start if Iupati leaves. Falls here due to
injuries..

7a. Ben Gardner, DE/DT, 6-4, 277, Stanford
A Stanford guy who can provide d-line depth while trying to learn the duties of a 3-4 DE..

7b. Trey Millard, FB/TE, 6-2, 253, Oklahoma

Versatile player that can develop into a swiss army knife type of player on offense for us.. Again falls due to injury even though fullback isn't a typically highly drafted position..

7c. Aaron Colvin, CB, 6-0 186, Oklahoma
Physical corner who looked like a 1st rounder at times, but a late rounder at others.. Unfortunately falls due to a torn acl..

7d. Logan Thomas, QB, 6-6, 250, Virginia Tech
Why not? Maybe he can develop into a very very very poor man's Cam
Newton..

DEPTH CHART:

QB: Kaepernick, Fales
FB: Miller,
HB: Gore, Lattimore, Hunter, James
TE: Davis, McDonald, Millard
WR: Crabtree, Boldin, Matthews, Patton, Herron, Osgood
LT: Staley
LG: Iupati, Looney
C: Richburg, Kilgore
RG: Boone, Snyder
RT: Davis
RDE: Smith, Carradine
NT: Dorsey, Williams, Dial
LDE: McDonald, Jerod-Eddie
ROLB: Smith, Lemonier, Skuta
MLB: Willis, Bowman, Wilhoite, Moody
LOLB: Brooks, Powell
CB: Culliver, Brock, Joyner, Aikens, Morris
FS: Reid, Spillman
SS: Whitner, Bailey, Ventrone
K: Dawson
P: Lee
LS: McDermott
[ Edited by Cooper22 on Jan 29, 2014 at 8:22 PM ]
Very good mock I would change a couple of picks instead of Walt take Stanley Jean-Baptist. People are saying draft denard or Gilbert in the first round but that would be dumb. Even though there the best 2 corners in the draft neither of them play the slot which means either Brock or Culliver play the slot and as we all know they can't really tackle and help in run support. But if you draft lamarcus joyner he has lightning speed and hits pretty damn hard that solves or slot corner. And if Erick Reid makes a mistake again in tackling and gets another head injury Joyner can also play safty and have Erick Wright play the slot tell he gets back.
Originally posted by cgoblin:
Very good mock I would change a couple of picks instead of Walt take Stanley Jean-Baptist. People are saying draft denard or Gilbert in the first round but that would be dumb. Even though there the best 2 corners in the draft neither of them play the slot which means either Brock or Culliver play the slot and as we all know they can't really tackle and help in run support. But if you draft lamarcus joyner he has lightning speed and hits pretty damn hard that solves or slot corner. And if Erick Reid makes a mistake again in tackling and gets another head injury Joyner can also play safty and have Erick Wright play the slot tell he gets back.

When it's all said and done, SJB will be a first - early second round pick and have poor value there.
I like the mock.. but I dont think they are going to franchise tag Whitner. Also restructuring for VD and PWill is kind of a slap in the face. They are worth every penny of their existing contracts.

As far as the players drafted I like it. Would rather them take Allen Robinson in the first if hes still there.
Nice mock,

Not sure why you'd want to extend Dorsey at this point in time, until you see what you have in all the other D-lineman.

Dahl, I can see him getting if we had better options behind him, which at this point in time, we don't. He's also not expensive and a good special teamer.

Fales is a good QB, but I would also draft Aaron Murray late. He just seems like a Harbaugh/Baalke type QB (athletic and mobile) but he's smarter and comes with 4 years of starting experience and big game experience.
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
I like the mock.. but I dont think they are going to franchise tag Whitner. Also restructuring for VD and PWill is kind of a slap in the face. They are worth every penny of their existing contracts.

As far as the players drafted I like it. Would rather them take Allen Robinson in the first if hes still there.

Out of all the current players up for free agency, I think Whitner would be the best bet to give the franchise tag to.. He will probably get 7 mil a year for multiple years on the market. Michael Huff just got 24 mil for 4 years (6 mil a year), and Whitner is better than him.. This would allow us to keep him for another year while we develop a rookie and then having the option to not re-sign next year when we have Kap, Crabtree, Iupati, and Aldon all up for free agency.

Also the restructures are just "team" moves.. I think Willis and Vernon would gladly restructure for the better of the team
Not bad. Whitner will be gone not franchised. We should draft a 2nd WR and we don't need 2 rookie QB's. This draft is deep in WR and CB talent and with all our picks we should take 2 of each. Wr's take time to develop anyway but it would give us much needed depth.

I don't even know if we draft 1 QB. We have our starter for years to come. If there is an injury do you want a rookie or a vet holding down the fort? Resign McCoy or let him go and sign a different vet to back up Kap. We probably only keep 2 on the roster and then add a 3rd to the practice squad.
  • Buchy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Garlicboy:
Nice mock,

Not sure why you'd want to extend Dorsey at this point in time, until you see what you have in all the other D-lineman.

Dahl, I can see him getting if we had better options behind him, which at this point in time, we don't. He's also not expensive and a good special teamer.

Fales is a good QB, but I would also draft Aaron Murray late. He just seems like a Harbaugh/Baalke type QB (athletic and mobile) but he's smarter and comes with 4 years of starting experience and big game experience.

Dorsey has been consistently excellent all year and graded very highly by the likes of football outsiders etc.
[ Edited by Buchy on Jan 29, 2014 at 2:25 AM ]
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
Not bad. Whitner will be gone not franchised. We should draft a 2nd WR and we don't need 2 rookie QB's. This draft is deep in WR and CB talent and with all our picks we should take 2 of each. Wr's take time to develop anyway but it would give us much needed depth.

I don't even know if we draft 1 QB. We have our starter for years to come. If there is an injury do you want a rookie or a vet holding down the fort? Resign McCoy or let him go and sign a different vet to back up Kap. We probably only keep 2 on the roster and then add a 3rd to the practice squad.
He took 2 WRs, Matthews and Herron. And if Harbaugh isn't worried about 2 rookies being backups, he had Kaep and Tolzien backing up Alex his first year. If Harbaugh trusts a rookie, I'd be fine with it too. Rookies aren't the mistake prone lost QBs they were 10-15 years ago. Rookies now regularly come into the league and win right away.
Nice mock. Hits all the major needs. Really nice work in the 7th round.
Originally posted by Travisty13:

He took 2 WRs, Matthews and Herron. And if Harbaugh isn't worried about 2 rookies being backups, he had Kaep and Tolzien backing up Alex his first year. If Harbaugh trusts a rookie, I'd be fine with it too. Rookies aren't the mistake prone lost QBs they were 10-15 years ago. Rookies now regularly come into the league and win right away.
There is a huge difference this year than Harbaugh's 1st year with 2 rookies backing up Alex Smith.

1. Kap was drafted early in the 2nd round and was Harbaugh's QB of the future not a 4th round pick you have no intention of ever starting. If the draft were held again today he would probably be the 1st or 2nd QB taken. Kap is our projected starter for years and years to come. A QB of the future has no place here at this time.

2. We were coming off a lot of losing years. Not trying to protect an expected run for the super bowl. We expect to challenge for the super bowl this year. Do we want to trust that to a rookie taken in the 4th round? Also in Kap's case we knew we could resign him but with the starting job locked up we won't be able to resign a rookie QB unless he isn't good enough to start when his contract is up.

3. We didn't have the depth we have now. We could keep 3 QB's. We only had 2 on the roster this year and next year's team will be even harder to make. We will probably keep 2 QB's an add another on the practice squad.

We could draft 1 QB to be our back up but how much better would a rookie be than a vet we could sign if at all? Why not use the 4th round pick for another saftey or a CB who could compete for a starting job or even a 3rd WR we could develop. Rookies backing up a long term vet is 1 thing because the rookie might become your future starter but our future at QB is pretty locked up. If that's how the 49ers want to go I am down with it but 2 QB's drafted makes no sense at all.

There is a huge difference this year than Harbaugh's 1st year with 2 rookies backing up Alex Smith.

1. Kap was drafted early in the 2nd round and was Harbaugh's QB of the future not a 4th round pick you have no intention of ever starting. If the draft were held again today he would probably be the 1st or 2nd QB taken. Kap is our projected starter for years and years to come. A QB of the future has no place here at this time.

2. We were coming off a lot of losing years. Not trying to protect an expected run for the super bowl. We expect to challenge for the super bowl this year. Do we want to trust that to a rookie taken in the 4th round? Also in Kap's case we knew we could resign him but with the starting job locked up we won't be able to resign a rookie QB unless he isn't good enough to start when his contract is up.

3. We didn't have the depth we have now. We could keep 3 QB's. We only had 2 on the roster this year and next year's team will be even harder to make. We will probably keep 2 QB's an add another on the practice squad.

We could draft 1 QB to be our back up but how much better would a rookie be than a vet we could sign if at all? Why not use the 4th round pick for another saftey or a CB who could compete for a starting job or even a 3rd WR we could develop. Rookies backing up a long term vet is 1 thing because the rookie might become your future starter but our future at QB is pretty locked up. If that's how the 49ers want to go I am down with it but 2 QB's drafted makes no sense at all.

Logan Thomas is a pick that probably won't make the team, but is worth a shot at practice squad and in training camp with a 7th round pick.. Fales would be better than a vet for several reasons.. Cheaper, more coachable, and could potentially add more value if he impresses in pre-season and limited time.. Plus I think he will be a better back up THIS YEAR than McCoy or any other vet we can get on a cheap contract..
[ Edited by Cooper22 on Jan 29, 2014 at 7:59 AM ]
I personally wouldn't franchise Whitner and draft a SS presumably to eventually start in the same year. Yes, Whitner can play another year and teach the younger backs but I think six million is too much. 49ers could get a vet for cheaper. Let the young guns play.

Drafting another CB or RB is just as if not more likely a wasted pick. You cant put a 4th rounder on the practice sqaud and expect them to not get snatched up by another team, a 7th round player provides about the same value no matter what position you look at and there is no way the team can draft 3 CBs or WRs with the number of returning roster players. Where as if you draft 2 QBs one can be your back up for a hell of a lot cheaper than Colt and probably be a better player by midseason and the other being a 7th rounder is likely just there to run the scout team. It makes sense in terms of roster management and I dont really think in this day and age having a young back up is anything but a smart idea once your starter no longer needs a mentor. It is far more likely to make it to the playoffs after your starting qb goes down if you have an athletic but unpolished rookie as a back up than if you have a guy who has been below average at best for his entire career.
They won't franchise Whitner...ties up almost $7M in cap space that's at a premium going into the off-season. As for the picks:

- Matthews will likely be an early pick...only way Baalke gets to him is to trade up, possible, but not likely.

- Like the Joyner pick, but agree Jean-Baptiste is the big CB to go after.

- Don't see Baalke drafting a C in 2nd rd. Besides, he's got Kilgore & Looney just waiting for their chances to take over at C. My money's on Looney. It'd make sense to draft a guy who can play OG/C, but for depth in later rds.

- Bailey's a good S, but I think Bucannon's better. He had eye-popping numbers and was very consistent. I'd hesitate to cut Dahl if Whitner walks.

- Like the Fales pick...not sure he lasts that long, but he could

- The rest are ok, but I'd anticipate Baalke using a number of these to trade up in earlier rds to get players he and Harbaugh really want.