There are 89 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

which 1 and why..?

ok now this is my question..assuming we trade up to the late teens to draft a cb and both Dennard and Gilbert are available ( highly unlikely but say so ) who would you take and why him and not the other..?



my answer is id take Gilbert bc of his speed an return ability..tho I love Dennards physicality and that hes unafraid to stick his nose in there against the run..
For our defense, Dennard is the better fit. He is physical and plays the run much better than Gilbert.
Originally posted by HarbaughzDeep:
For our defense, Dennard is the better fit. He is physical and plays the run much better than Gilbert.

I know exactly what you are saying but I just think Gilbert can do more and is more dynamic..plus id love for him to replace lamike james in the return game..
Tough choice. The 49ers have been good at drafting corners later. We got Brock as an undrafted free agent, Brown in the 5th round and Culliver in the 3rd round. We might not go CB in round 1. They may have their eyes on guys available in rounds 2 and 3. I know they will have a plan. We won't know till draft day but it will be fun to see it play out. I trust the 49ers when it comes to drafting defense. It's WR I am not sure about.
Yea Same here Denard fits our defense, even though he won't be on an island like he was in Michigan but just imagine him playing 1 on 1 press coverage and Hitner in the box just like Chancler was. We wouldn't give up 50 yards rushing if we constantly had a safty I n the box. My only problem is Denard is not really fast so if he covers a Desean Jackson, or Mike Wallas, or even Ty he wouldn't get burned off the line of scrimmage, I would love to get a Peterson type or even DRC I would be fine with his brother.
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
Tough choice. The 49ers have been good at drafting corners later. We got Brock as an undrafted free agent, Brown in the 5th round and Culliver in the 3rd round. We might not go CB in round 1. They may have their eyes on guys available in rounds 2 and 3. I know they will have a plan. We won't know till draft day but it will be fun to see it play out. I trust the 49ers when it comes to drafting defense. It's WR I am not sure about.

I think it will happen opposite bc of the depth at wr in this draft..im thinking brown and rogers are gone so that leaves us with Brock and Dennard/Gilbert starting..cully in the slot if he is healthy..rookie/fa vet as 4/5..
Dennard and it's not even close imo.

Love the way this kid plays. I think it translates very well to the NFL.
Tough choice, but I see Gilbert as a better ball hawk which is something I think we could use. I do really like Dennard though.
[ Edited by GorefullBore on Jan 28, 2014 at 10:01 PM ]
Very good question cause I love both. My answer is would be very happy either way. I do believe that in this scenario the Niners would draft Gilbert because of his return game, based on recent history they highly value versatility
Originally posted by HarbaughzDeep:
For our defense, Dennard is the better fit. He is physical and plays the run much better than Gilbert.

I get what you're saying . Truthfully, I love both players and don't think we could go wro.g either way.
  • buck
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 10,119
Originally posted by jersey49er:
I know exactly what you are saying but I just think Gilbert can do more and is more dynamic..plus id love for him to replace lamike james in the return game..

Gilbert is a good kick off return man, but to replace James he has to return punts also.

The ability to return kicks does not equal an ability to return punts.

Gilbert did NOT return any punts in his college career.
Neither...I want a true slot corner and they can be had without moving up. I think Cully and Brock start on the outside next year.
Originally posted by genus49:
Dennard and it's not even close imo.

Love the way this kid plays. I think it translates very well to the NFL.

Co-signed. Dennard was a top 5-10 impact player on defense. Gilbert is good, but Dennard could be great.
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
Neither...I want a true slot corner and they can be had without moving up. I think Cully and Brock start on the outside next year.

We can have both and get the slot corner later in the draft. I'd rather have Dennard. Better fit for the defense. It's not too often that we have the chance to get the best DB in the draft.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
Neither...I want a true slot corner and they can be had without moving up. I think Cully and Brock start on the outside next year.

We can have both and get the slot corner later in the draft. I'd rather have Dennard. Better fit for the defense. It's not too often that we have the chance to get the best DB in the draft.
going to have to cut a bunch of guys then...and not just Rogers, going to be an aweful damn young backfield.