There are 132 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Cody Hoffman - WR - BYU

Cody Hoffman
Senior
6'4
4.55 40yd Dash

Personally I think the Niners lock down Boldin for 2 years before FA in March. Which means that I think the Niners will go back to their Defensive Backfield for the first pick in this years draft. I could see them getting a guy like Hoffman between Rounds 3-5.

Hoffman is a big and strong possession receiver who could be a red zone threat for us. He owns every major receiving record at BYU, a school known for throwing the ball. Some might think that he has not played against Elite competition cuz hes from BYU. But that would be wrong. He went up against Notre Dame, Texas, Wisconsin and Boise St last year alone.

Could be worth a look.

Marques Colston.
Was a fan before, not so much after this season. i get the feeling that he's going to really struggle to get separation in the NFL. Had a lousy season, didn't show any real improvement, granted the QB situation there wasn't optimal, but I've gotten off the bandwagon.
Not impressed with him anymore. I dropped it a lot. I'll take a TJ Jones, or Kevin Norwood over Hoffman.
Said what i had to say about him in the senior bowl discussion. Went from wanting him last season if he would have declared, to not wanting him at all.
He did have a bad Senior year, but I think most of that was due to the poor mans Tim Tebow he had throwing him the ball. His QB looked like he was throwing sh#t out of his hand while trying to throw.
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
He did have a bad Senior year, but I think most of that was due to the poor mans Tim Tebow he had throwing him the ball. His QB looked like he was throwing sh#t out of his hand while trying to throw.

His QB has nothing to do with him consistently struggling to get separation. His size allowed him to slide by in college but won't get him very far in the NFL. His routes were noticeably sloppier, he seemed to lose focus a lot. I was a HUGE proponent of his last year, as was Idaho, but not so much anymore. The history of the NFL Draft is littered with the ghosts of big, tall and slow receivers who became busts in the NFL due to their inability to get separation and make plays as pro's.
I'm sure it doesn't help that none of you have faith in our Receivers coach to help Hoffman improve :-).
I get it, thats why im not saying grab him early, if he is there in round 5,6 or 7. I would take a flier on him and try to develop him.
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
I get it, thats why im not saying grab him early, if he is there in round 5,6 or 7. I would take a flier on him and try to develop him.

Even then, I'd rather take someone that looks like a potentially more productive prospect, either someone with injury issues that falls down the boards...such as Long, Colvin, Millard.......or a receiver like TJ Jones who has been incredibly productive and at least shows NFL level quickness.
If we took him late, it would make Baldwin expendable right away. Hoffman could benefit from NFL receiving coaches teaching him better technique, He has reached his potential at BYU. He reached it as a Junior. He would of been a 1st or 2nd rounder last year. if he came out. He could be developed, and with the Niners wealth of Picks he could be worth the shot.
Draft anyone who comes outta the U or BYU.