LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 326 users in the forums

POSITIONS OF NEED (SS,CB,WR,OG/C,DT) Not a mock... just a cryptic evalutaion)

• xcfan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Garlicboy:
DT is a luxury need

IR: Ian Williams, moves Glenn Dorsey to DE

NFI/PUP list:
Tank Carridine
Dominque Dial
Lawrence Okoye
disagree. ian is a ? dorsey is Not a DE who can replicate his inside play out there. tank is still a big ? dial is slow, negating some of his advantages of mass. okoye is still a complete unknown.

drafting a d-line stud with a solid resume is a good thing.
Originally posted by BermudaTriangle49er:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Interesting post, though I'm not sure why you didn't mention Colvin tearing his ACL last week. As of right now, he's a draft and stash guy around the 4th-6th round.

definitely a stasher- comparable to the Tank Carradine/Marcus Lattimore picks.

I'm also not convinced that Bucannon is the top SS in the draft. Though not listed as a SS, I think Calvin Pryor could easily slide into a SS role with his size, physicality and the way he plays the run. I'm also partial to Jimmie Ward who brings great cover skills to the SS position. It's probably a matter of taste, but I'd prefer the last two guys over Bucannon.
I want to see 2-3 CB's, 2-3 WR's, a SS, a Center and maybe a DT for a rotation with Ian Williams and Tank Carradine. If we lose all 3 CB's Rogers, Wright and Brown I would like to draft 2 in the 1st 3 rounds and 1 more in rounds 4-5. We need 2 WR's and a 3rd if we don't get Boldin back. We have not had a good receiving corps in over a decade. It's time we were the kind of team that can hurt you with our 3rd or 4th or even 5th receiver. I am tired of a player getting hurt and the shelves are empty.
I'm also not convinced that Bucannon is the top SS in the draft. Though not listed as a SS, I think Calvin Pryor could easily slide into a SS role with his size, physicality and the way he plays the run. I'm also partial to Jimmie Ward who brings great cover skills to the SS position. It's probably a matter of taste, but I'd prefer the last two guys over Bucannon
If there's one thing that might end up holding back Pryor in the NFL, it's something that we don't yet know much about: his ability in coverage. While Pryor has looked very fast and athletic whenever he's been on the field at Louisville, he really hasn't been tested a whole lot with covering receivers in the slot as Louisville runs a scheme where their safeties tend to either stay back or come up to play the run.Because of his inexperience in the facet of the game, Pryor's combine performance could play a bigger-than-usual role in determining whether he can slide into the end of the first round or falls to the second.

In addition, Pryor needs to make sure that he stays disciplined in this era of overaggressive officiating against defensive backs. While his hitting ability can definitely be a plus for whoever he ends up with, he needs to make sure that he stays under control and doesn't end up hurting his team with costly penalties.

Positives

Ferocious hitter
Consistent, aggressive tackler
Effective when coming up to play in the box
Interchangeable between strong and free safety positions
Good projectable size

Negatives

Hasn't been used much in man coverage, a skill he must have to succeed in a traditional free safety role. Doesn't have a whole lot of experience playing against prime competition his relentless hard hits may make him a target for fines or suspension in the NFL.

2013 Performance

Pryor had a very effective 2013 season, finishing second on the Cardinals with 75 total tackles, including 5.5 tackles for loss. He also had three interceptions, four pass breakups and two forced fumbles. His greatest impact, however, came from the immense amount of energy that he provided to the Louisville defense with his all-out play and magnificent hitting ability.

(2014 Draft Projection: First round-2nd round talent)

as for Jimmie Ward:
Ward's freshmen year was one spent mostly on special teams and as a back-up free safety. On special teams, Ward blocked three punts, one of which he returned for a touchdown. On defense, playing sparingly, Ward tallied 21 tackles, a forced fumble and a pass break up.

In his sophomore year, Ward started 12 of 14 games. He had a sack, an interception and recorded at least five tackles in 12 games. Ward also blocked another kick in his sophomore year.

Ward's junior year saw him start 13 of 14 games and emerge as a play-maker on the Huskie's defense. Racking up over 100 tackles, intercepting three passes and defending eight passes, Ward began to emerge as a defensive presence.

This year, Ward already has 74 tackles, a sack, six interceptions, four blocked punts and five passes defended. And the season is not over yet. The film on Ward is not voluminous yet, but given his play on the field over the last two seasons, it's bound to grow, especially as the Draft approaches.

Positives:

Ward displays an above-average ability to shed blocks during run plays. Ward also takes good angles when in run support to tackle the runner.

Ward is very good at keeping the play in front of him and not allowing big gains when he is in coverage. What he may lack in coverage skills, he makes up in his ability to recover and catch up with the receiver.

Ward, as evident by his stats this season, but also confirmed from the tape study, confirms that he has above-average ball skills. In the Toledo game, Ward makes a remarkable interception. Ward is in man coverage against the receiver, with whom he stays with in a crossing pattern. When the ball is approaching the receiver, a well-thrown ball too, Ward is able to jar it from the receiver's hands with one of his hands, and then track the ball and catch it with his other hand. It is a play that a very few talented professional football players make, let alone college football players.

Ward has an above-average ability to diagnose whether the play is going to be a run or pass. This allows him to keep many plays in front of him, because he is not misdiagnosing a run as a pass or a pass as a run. When a safety misdiagnoses a play in that manner, they are susceptible to being beat deep.

Ward is a hard hitter who tackles well, almost always going low for the waist or legs.

Ward can also be utilized as an effective blitzer. He displays speed coming off the edge, and that speed, combined with his ability to shed blocks, allows him to at least pressure the quarterback, even if he doesn't get a sack.

Ward is also an impact player on special teams.

Negatives:

Ward tends to tackle low, which is the correct tackling that the NFL enforces, however, given the larger players at the professional level, it has to be of concern that this could lead to broken tackles. While he is willing to support the run defense, he seldom is the lone run stopper.
While Ward is capable of keeping up with wide receivers from the Mid Atlantic Conference, he could struggle covering NFL wide receivers. In fact, the primary concern with Ward is his ability to adjust from the MAC to the NFL and the level of competition that comes with it.

Conclusion:
Ward may not be getting all the attention that other defensive backs are garnering, however, Ward has the size, speed and talent to be an impact player on an NFL team. He could be utilized in sub packages by the right defensive coordinator almost immediately, and on special teams.

Ward, barring a superb Senior Bowl performance, is looking at a day three selection in the NFL Draft. At this point a second day selection looks as if it'd be a best-case scenario.

Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
I want to see 2-3 CB's, 2-3 WR's, a SS, a Center and maybe a DT for a rotation with Ian Williams and Tank Carradine. If we lose all 3 CB's Rogers, Wright and Brown I would like to draft 2 in the 1st 3 rounds and 1 more in rounds 4-5. We need 2 WR's and a 3rd if we don't get Boldin back. We have not had a good receiving corps in over a decade. It's time we were the kind of team that can hurt you with our 3rd or 4th or even 5th receiver. I am tired of a player getting hurt and the shelves are empty.
i couldn't agree more. 2 corners would suffice- since chris culliver is coming back from his injury. Not sure if they're going to try and transition him to safety or just continue to develop him as a cb. it looks like Tarell Brown will test free agency, and the inevitable departure of Carlos Rogers.

might look something like this next year:
1)Tramaine Brock
2)Chris Culliver
3)Rookie: Stanley-Jean Baptiste/Pierre Desir -could be interchangeable with culliver/play nickelback (NB)
4) perhaps resign eric wright/perrish cox or draft another CB like Aaron Colvin to stash for the 2015 season.

i have a strong feeling we get a deal done with Boldin, but end up losing Donte Whitner, Tarell Brown to free agency. Of course compensatory picks are always nice-
If we are able to retain boldin the 49ers should look to draft a big bodied WR (RED ZONE THREAT) like Mike Evans/Kelvin Benjamin. Also a guy that can stretch the field- someone like Brandin Cooks, Allen Robinson, Jordan Matthews.
If we lose all 3 corners That gives us only 2 returning corners in Brock and Culliver that we have real confidence in. With 3 and 4 WR sets you need 4 CB's who can play and at least 1 you trust for depth. Drafting 3 would give us real depth if we can't get Brown or Wright back. Drafting Colvin to stash on the pup list might be a good move.

I too hope for Boldin's return. If we get lucky and he's back I still want 2 WR's with at least 1 having deep threat speed. With Kap's arm it is a crime not to have a deep threat. If god forbid we lose Boldin then draft 3 WR's. WR is 1 of the hardest positions to transition to the NFL at and it often takes time for them to develop. If we are lucky we have Crabtree and Boldin starting and Patton as a slot receiver and 2 talented rookies that we can work into the line-up and also providing depth.
Originally posted by Garlicboy:
DT is a luxury need

IR: Ian Williams, moves Glenn Dorsey to DE

NFI/PUP list:
Tank Carridine
Dominque Dial
Lawrence Okoye

Just wanted to let you know, it's Quinton Dial. Noticed you've been calling him Dominique on a lot of posts.
I'm losing it. dominique dial was a guys we played againstst in high school
Interesting post, though I'm not sure why you didn't mention Colvin tearing his ACL last week. As of right now, he's a draft and stash guy around the 4th-6th round.

definitely a stasher- comparable to the Tank Carradine/Marcus Lattimore picks.

I'm also not convinced that Bucannon is the top SS in the draft. Though not listed as a SS, I think Calvin Pryor could easily slide into a SS role with his size, physicality and the way he plays the run. I'm also partial to Jimmie Ward who brings great cover skills to the SS position. It's probably a matter of taste, but I'd prefer the last two guys over Bucannon.

You think Pryor and Ward both go late 1st? What are your thoughts on Clinton-Dix? If he's on the board somewhat close to where the Niners pick, I'd pull the trigger on a trade. Reid and him could be interchangeable back there.
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
You think Pryor and Ward both go late 1st? What are your thoughts on Clinton-Dix? If he's on the board somewhat close to where the Niners pick, I'd pull the trigger on a trade. Reid and him could be interchangeable back there.
Clinton-Dix is a very long-limbed athlete with a frame that can easily hold another 15 to 20 pounds of muscle mass. Clinton-Dix is considered a fluid athlete who anticipates the run well and is excellent in coverage with a late burst to close on the ball and good hands. The Crimson Tide program also does a superb job of developing defensive backs and Clinton-Dix has an excellent physical skill set to go along with superb preparation for the NFL. Clinton-Dix should be able to prove this fall that he's worthy of an early-round pick, perhaps even a first-round one. Clinton-Dix could definitely turn into the top safety prospect in the 2014 NFL Draft. Has the makings of a special teams monster, while he works his way into the starting lineup. Defensive backs usually take longer than most positions to hone their skills. Look for him to get meaningful playing time late in his sophomore season. The 49ers need a guy who can start right away if we end up losing Donte Whitner.

• buck
  • Veteran
i would personally rather have Sean Parker put on some weight and make a transition to OLB. i remember Taylor Mays didn't want to make the transition-
He was a good Will linebacker in Monte Kiffin's Tampa 2 at USC in 2012, totaling 80 tackles, eight tackles for a loss, four interceptions and five passes broken up.

Just a suggestion.

When you cut and paste from another site, you provide a link to the site you copied.
Share 49ersWebzone