LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 254 users in the forums

Theoretically: The Domino Trades

Originally posted by Garlicboy:
As far as I'm concerned, the only players that should be put the waivers to get on the practice squad are Undrafted Rookie Free Agents.

The 49ers roster is too good. People are going to poach our 6th or 7th rounder that we try and have clear waivers and get on our practice squad. Even our UDRFA practice squad players aren't safe (Michael Thomas, Marquies Gray, Jason Schepler)

Gray was claimed off waiver by Cleveland. Never made it to the P-Squad.
I get the idea of making future trades, but I honestly wouldn't try to roll too much over in the 2015 draft. Maybe 2 picks tops. I also believe that one of our 7ths could be used on Johnathan Martin, which would give us a tackle that could back up both Anthony Davis and Joe Staley.

With the way our roster stands right now, even if we are able to resign Anquan Boldin and Donte Whitner (and accounting for Tank Carradine and Marcus Lattimore), I could still see us having 9 or 10 roster spots.

Now we do have a few practice squad guys that could make the team next year, but I think we should be drafting 8 to 10 guys. We need guys that can start. Not necessarily now, but in the future. Wide receiver is an obvious need. I can see us going here 2 or 3 times. I can see us drafting two corners. We will probably draft a safety. And there's the possibility of drafting an interior O-lineman. That makes 6 or 7 picks. We may even be able to take a BPA luxury pick like De'Anthony Thomas. After that, by all means, load up on the guys with injuries. Of course some may have to be drafted earlier than others (like Dominique Easley), but I think this is a sound strategy to fill the holes on our roster and keep that stream of talent coming for the 49ers.

It also will put us in a position where we can replace veterans who are older or vets with salaries that are too large. Example, if we draft a guard that is able to equal the contributions of say, Adam Snyder, for about 1/3 of the pay. Not likely, but you never know.
Would it make you feel better if I put PS players/candidates.
The beauty of the draft is that any one can make the team.

Getting drafted high is no guarantee of success.

We drafted Vance McDonald and he looks like a bust. He looks slow, but that's because he is. How many fast 270 lbers are out there?
Brett Celek an undrafted TE in 2012 looks much better.

I agree we have a lot of picks and don't need that many, but just because we do, doesn't mean we should just throw them away. We can invest in the future in the form of future picks or injured players designated for the NFI list.

No way Celek is better than McDonald . You need to give Vance a chance. He was a rookie and wasn't looked for by Kaep last year. Vance can turn out to be a Delaine type of player or better if we give him some time.
Originally posted by sLarsen7:
No way Celek is better than McDonald . You need to give Vance a chance. He was a rookie and wasn't looked for by Kaep last year. Vance can turn out to be a Delaine type of player or better if we give him some time.

I go by what my eyes see not by where a guys was drafted. From what I've seen from both players, Celek looks like the smoother athlete w/better hands.
I go by what my eyes see not by where a guys was drafted. From what I've seen from both players, Celek looks like the smoother athlete w/better hands.

Well there is a reason why Vance is playing and Celek is not (Its because Vance is better). If the coaches thought Celek was better he would have been out there playing but Vance won the second string job by beating out Celek.
Share 49ersWebzone