There are 79 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Theoretically: The Domino Trades

So i think we can mostly agree that with the current 49ers roster, there is no way in hell that 13 players from this draft have a shot at the roster. With so many players from last year's draft still mostly unknowns, I can't see more than 5-6 guys from 2014 making the team, if that. Of course, the team could always trade picks this year for future (hopefully better) picks, but if they wanted to cash in this year, I wonder if they could pull off a "Domino Trade".

The team has 4 tradeable 7th rounders which essentially have no value to the 49ers. A team with a less-stocked roster, though, might have interest. So let's say you flip 2 7th rounders for a 6th rounder...twice. This leaves 3 6th rounders. And say you flip 2 of those for a 5th rounder. You still have a 6, but now you have two 5s. So you flip those two 5s for a 4. And you flip your two 4s for another 3. So now you've got four 3s, two 2s, and a 1 (plus a 6th). Still too many players! So you move two 3s for a 2 and two 2s for a 1...and you've got two 1sts, a 2nd, two 3s, and a 6. Thats 6 players, 5 of whom should conceivably be impact guys. Add those to Reid, Carradine, McDonald, Lemonier, Patton, Lattimore, Dial, Moody, and Bykowski and you've got 15 of 53 roster spots occupied by rookies or 2nd year players...not counting UDFAs. That's still a lot of young bodies.

So what are people hoping for? A pile of low picks and the hope that someone turns out way better than there draft spot? Or a small haul of higher, hand-picked players who can contribute right away?
Just posted something regarding the theft of 49ers practice squad players and the sound reasoning in drafting injured ACL players. The only answer I see is the NFI list. Using the late round draft picks to draft injured players you can stash on the NFI list.

Just a refresher, The Chiefs stole Marcus Cooper off the practice squad, the Dolphins stole Michael Thomas off the practiced squad, and even the Jags stole UDFA rookie TE Marquies Gray off the practice squad.

My latest mock: I have QB Logan Thomas being converted to a TE. I have 8 healthy picks with 2 possible practice squad candidates in Thomas and Gallon/Archer.

#2a S LaMarcus Joyner (T. down 2015 3rd), trade 1st for 2nd & 2015
#2b CB Pierre Desir
#2c WR Martavis Bryant
#3a C Weston Richburg
#3b WR Donte Moncreif
#3c ILB Yawin Smallwood
#5 Inj. QB Aaron Murray (Trade down for 2015 7th), 4th for a 5th & 2015 7th
#6 Inj. CB Aaron Colvin (Trade down for 2015 7th ), 5th for a 6th & 2014 7th
#7a TE Logan Thomas (Trade down for 2014 7th), 6th for a 7th & 2015 7th
#7b WR Geremy Gallon or Dri Archer
#7c Inj. OG Spencer Long#7d Inj. FB Trey Millard
#7e Inj. S Nickoe Whitley (7th round pick obtained in trade down)

2013 Redshirts/Injured: NT: Ian Williams, DT: Dominique Dial, DE: Tank Carridine, DE: Lawrence Okoye, OT: Marquardt, RB: Marcus Lattimore

*No D lineman, OT, or RB needed in 2014 draft due to redshirt/Injured players returning in 2014

UDRFA/ Undrafted Rookie Free Agents: QB: Connor ShawQB: Denarius McGheeDT: Chris Whaley (INJURED)
Originally posted by DarkKnight1680:
So i think we can mostly agree that with the current 49ers roster, there is no way in hell that 13 players from this draft have a shot at the roster. With so many players from last year's draft still mostly unknowns, I can't see more than 5-6 guys from 2014 making the team, if that. Of course, the team could always trade picks this year for future (hopefully better) picks, but if they wanted to cash in this year, I wonder if they could pull off a "Domino Trade".

The team has 4 tradeable 7th rounders which essentially have no value to the 49ers. A team with a less-stocked roster, though, might have interest. So let's say you flip 2 7th rounders for a 6th rounder...twice. This leaves 3 6th rounders. And say you flip 2 of those for a 5th rounder. You still have a 6, but now you have two 5s. So you flip those two 5s for a 4. And you flip your two 4s for another 3. So now you've got four 3s, two 2s, and a 1 (plus a 6th). Still too many players! So you move two 3s for a 2 and two 2s for a 1...and you've got two 1sts, a 2nd, two 3s, and a 6. Thats 6 players, 5 of whom should conceivably be impact guys. Add those to Reid, Carradine, McDonald, Lemonier, Patton, Lattimore, Dial, Moody, and Bykowski and you've got 15 of 53 roster spots occupied by rookies or 2nd year players...not counting UDFAs. That's still a lot of young bodies.

So what are people hoping for? A pile of low picks and the hope that someone turns out way better than there draft spot? Or a small haul of higher, hand-picked players who can contribute right away?
I'd be all for this brotha. Draft guys that WILL make the team, not might make it
Originally posted by DarkKnight1680:

So you traded 13 picks for 6 picks!
You get:
2- 1st's
1- 2nd
2- 3rd's
6th

Basically trade a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 4- 7th's for 1st.

I'm sorry, but that is just terrible. Better off trading a 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 7th for a 1st.

Also we can't trade comp picks and there are only 3-7ths, the 4th was traded for 2015 7th.
Originally posted by 49ers808:
I'd be all for this brotha. Draft guys that WILL make the team, not might make it

The beauty of the draft is that any one can make the team.

Getting drafted high is no guarantee of success.

We drafted Vance McDonald and he looks like a bust. He looks slow, but that's because he is. How many fast 270 lbers are out there?
Brett Celek an undrafted TE in 2012 looks much better.

I agree we have a lot of picks and don't need that many, but just because we do, doesn't mean we should just throw them away. We can invest in the future in the form of future picks or injured players designated for the NFI list.
Originally posted by Garlicboy:
Originally posted by 49ers808:

The beauty of the draft is that any one can make the team.

Getting drafted high is no guarantee of success.

We drafted Vance McDonald and he looks like a bust. He looks slow, but that's because he is. How many fast 270 lbers are out there?
Brett Celek an undrafted TE in 2012 looks much better.

just like a woman i block u 1yr N bust people....
We could trade the late picks for 2015 draft choices 1 round earlier. Turn our 7th rounders into four 6th rounders next year. I could see 8 players from this draft making the team depending upon how many free agents we lose.
I think it's more likely that Baalke trades some picks and stockpiles more picks for next year.
We are about to have money problems as it is. We need to find talent in the later rounds.. Two more 1st round picks is gonna cost money we need to keep our current SB chances alive
[ Edited by Stevec9932 on Jan 28, 2014 at 6:47 AM ]
Originally posted by Garlicboy:
Just posted something regarding the theft of 49ers practice squad players and the sound reasoning in drafting injured ACL players. The only answer I see is the NFI list. Using the late round draft picks to draft injured players you can stash on the NFI list.

Just a refresher, The Chiefs stole Marcus Cooper off the practice squad, the Dolphins stole Michael Thomas off the practiced squad, and even the Jags stole UDFA rookie TE Marquies Gray off the practice squad.

My latest mock: I have QB Logan Thomas being converted to a TE. I have 8 healthy picks with 2 possible practice squad candidates in Thomas and Gallon/Archer.

#2a S LaMarcus Joyner (T. down 2015 3rd), trade 1st for 2nd & 2015
#2b CB Pierre Desir
#2c WR Martavis Bryant
#3a C Weston Richburg
#3b WR Donte Moncreif
#3c ILB Yawin Smallwood
#5 Inj. QB Aaron Murray (Trade down for 2015 7th), 4th for a 5th & 2015 7th
#6 Inj. CB Aaron Colvin (Trade down for 2015 7th ), 5th for a 6th & 2014 7th
#7a TE Logan Thomas (Trade down for 2014 7th), 6th for a 7th & 2015 7th
#7b WR Geremy Gallon or Dri Archer
#7c Inj. OG Spencer Long#7d Inj. FB Trey Millard
#7e Inj. S Nickoe Whitley (7th round pick obtained in trade down)

2013 Redshirts/Injured: NT: Ian Williams, DT: Dominique Dial, DE: Tank Carridine, DE: Lawrence Okoye, OT: Marquardt, RB: Marcus Lattimore

*No D lineman, OT, or RB needed in 2014 draft due to redshirt/Injured players returning in 2014

UDRFA/ Undrafted Rookie Free Agents: QB: Connor ShawQB: Denarius McGheeDT: Chris Whaley (INJURED)

cooper was claimed off waivers, never made niners practice squad
The 49ers have 1 pick in the 1st round 2 picks in the 2nd round and 3 picks in the round. And 6 picks from the 4th round on. Is it a good idea to use the remaining 6 picks to move up in all of the 1st 3 rounds for quality immediate impact players? so instead of drafting 12 players you draft 6 in the 1st 3 rounds that can immediately make a impact instead of drafting 12 who half wont make the team any way is this a bad or good idea ?
It makes no difference to me how many picks we have if we can get our picks to contribute positively for our team. So if Baalke uses all of the picks and gets 12 players, along with our redshirts from last year, then we may end up pushing extra players off from last year. If in the end the team plays better and has more quality developing then it is all good, at least as far as I am concerned. 12 picks gives Baalke a lot of latitude to trade around and get the picks he is looking for. So for me the more the merrier.
Predicting the Niners trading away half their picks is a little ridiculous, especially since they had 13 picks last year and still came away with 11 players. The Niners got good value all the way through, even though some of that talent ended up on other squads (i.e. Marcus Cooper 7th round). The Niners will let the draft unfold and deal if they want to, not because they think they don't have any roster space.
supports my point. guys get claimed off the practice squad or can't even pass waivers to begin with.
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
We could trade the late picks for 2015 draft choices 1 round earlier. Turn our 7th rounders into four 6th rounders next year. I could see 8 players from this draft making the team depending upon how many free agents we lose.

The only issue I have with this plan is that the 2014 draft is STRONG. Future drafts are going to be weaker. Why? A record high 98 underclassmen came out for this draft. Which is why, I would draft as many ACL injured players as possible, because it is the only 100% guaranteed way to stash a player on your roster. We can stash players on our practice squad as evidenced by Marcus Cooper. He didn't clear waivers and had a great rookie season with the Chiefs. Players can even get plucked off of our practice squad like S. Michael Thomas and become AFC player of the week.

I'm getting sick of picking players late in the draft only to have them get plucked off of our practice squad.

Draft healthy players with our first 6 or 7 picks and draft injured redshirts with our last 5 or 6 picks.
[ Edited by Garlicboy on Jan 28, 2014 at 9:29 PM ]
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home