LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 184 users in the forums

MadDog's 2014 NFL Draft Pre-Combine Big 100 Board

Originally posted by Zachary:
I think Kelvin Benjamin is going to be taken a lot earlier than most mocks say

I've got him pegged in the mid-20's, and he could launch himself into top 10 talk with a great combine and workout. Not sure he could pass Watkins, but maybe move into the 2nd WR taken.
Originally posted by LottOfDefense:
Curious to why you have Swanson rated so low? Most have him from the late 1st to mid 2nd. The 9ers could draft a starter at center depending on the situation and camp battles, who do you like scheme wise for the 9ers at center?

Simply did not impress at the Senior Bowl enough to warrant first or second round grades. I think he slides into that mid-3rd round grade. Going to be at least 4-5 centers taken in that 75-125 area. Kind of lumped together right now.

Like what I saw from Richburg and Larsen at the Senior Bowl. Might grade Richburg as my number one center right now.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Feb 3, 2014 at 9:12 AM ]
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by LottOfDefense:
Curious to why you have Swanson rated so low? Most have him from the late 1st to mid 2nd. The 9ers could draft a starter at center depending on the situation and camp battles, who do you like scheme wise for the 9ers at center?

Simply did not impress at the Senior Bowl enough to warrant first or second round grades. I think he slides into that mid-3rd round grade. Going to be at least 4-5 centers taken in that 75-125 area. Kind of lumped together right now.

Like what I saw from Richburg and Larsen at the Senior Bowl. Might grade Richburg as my number one center right now.

Thanks, I can't see the 9ers not drafting a center unless they are ready for Kilgore to start.
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
Maddog:
You have Kelvin Benjamin, Clinton Dix, Louis Nix,Stephon Tuitt, Jason Verrett; Mimmie Ward, and DAvid Yankey all in our 1st round pick area. Could you give me your pros and cons on these players and list them as to whether they would realistically be players that the Niners would pick? Thanks

Benjamin: big target, has some YAC ability, has red zone upside for franchise that needs TDs not FGs. Got to be careful with that weight. Needs to get off the LOS faster hands were suspect at times this year.
Clinton-Dix: smart, experienced, gutsy guy that rallies guys around him. To me, lacks elite athleticism, better college than pro player, might have been exposed a bit without all-star defenders around him at UA.
Nix: prototypical size for 34 NT. good movement for a man this size. Played in NDs 34 system. Can get up the field, better athlete than instinctual defender. Tendency to loee track of the ball so he can be caught out of place.
Tuitt- Looks like a Pittsburgh steeler to me. Tall and long, very athletic, excellent productivity in soph. year. Experience in 34 system. Physical skills are phenomenal. Lacks a full time motor. Seemed in cruise control in 2013 and regressed a bit. Did not assume role as dominant player with the loss of 2012 personnel.
Varrett- fast, smooth, experienced, tough. Just a terrific college player. Shut down some of the best WRs in The Big 12. Special teams skills. Downsize is size.,I think he comes in at 5'9", 178 at combine, and that is tough week to week in the NFL against the monsters. Imagine being matched up against Calvin Johnson one week, Alshon Jeffrey The next, and then Jordy Nelson the next week.
Ward is a safety with corner tracking skills. Plug and play from Day One with big, big upside (much more than Clinton-Dix). Not afraid to hit. To me, he is Jonathan Cyprien 2014 version.
Yankey is smart, tough, versatile playing multiple positions, and NFL ready. Excellent athleticism.and ability to pull. Not a mauler like DeCastro, and doesn't have a nasty streak, but is a guy who will take a challenge and scrap and fight.
  • buck
  • Veteran

Benjamin: big target, has some YAC ability, has red zone upside for franchise that needs TDs not FGs. Got to be careful with that weight. Needs to get off the LOS faster hands were suspect at times this year.

Clinton-Dix: smart, experienced, gutsy guy that rallies guys around him. To me, lacks elite athleticism, better college than pro player, might have been exposed a bit without all-star defenders around him at UA.

Nix: prototypical size for 34 NT. good movement for a man this size. Played in NDs 34 system. Can get up the field, better athlete than instinctual defender. Tendency to loee track of the ball so he can be caught out of place.

Tuitt- Looks like a Pittsburgh steeler to me. Tall and long, very athletic, excellent productivity in soph. year. Experience in 34 system. Physical skills are phenomenal. Lacks a full time motor. Seemed in cruise control in 2013 and regressed a bit. Did not assume role as dominant player with the loss of 2012 personnel.

Varrett- fast, smooth, experienced, tough. Just a terrific college player. Shut down some of the best WRs in The Big 12. Special teams skills. Downsize is size.,I think he comes in at 5'9", 178 at combine, and that is tough week to week in the NFL against the monsters. Imagine being matched up against Calvin Johnson one week, Alshon Jeffrey The next, and then Jordy Nelson the next week.

Ward is a safety with corner tracking skills. Plug and play from Day One with big, big upside (much more than Clinton-Dix). Not afraid to hit. To me, he is Jonathan Cyprien 2014 version.

Yankey is smart, tough, versatile playing multiple positions, and NFL ready. Excellent athleticism.and ability to pull. Not a mauler like DeCastro, and doesn't have a nasty streak, but is a guy who will take a challenge and scrap and fight.

Try some empty lines in the post. Makes the posts easier to read. Like I did above
[ Edited by buck on Feb 4, 2014 at 4:12 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Blake??

Baalke--Trent Baalke

automatic spell checkers are dangerous.
[ Edited by buck on Feb 4, 2014 at 4:26 PM ]
Originally posted by buck:

Try some empty lines in the post. Makes the posts easier to read. Like I did above

Thanks. I hit send and quickly left. Should have proofed to make it digestible

No negatives on Ward?
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:

No negatives on Ward?

He said Cyprien 2014. What more do you want?
  • buck
  • Veteran
Your welcome.
[ Edited by buck on Feb 4, 2014 at 9:20 PM ]

Originally posted by SFL49ER:
No negatives on Ward?

He said Cyprien 2014. What more do you want?

Right on! Glad I'm not the only one. I too agree with you about Swanson.

I've got man-crush on Benjamin and Richburg though. All the videos I see of this kid show a tough-as-nails, lunchpail toting, Heitmann-type center. I dug how he gets to that second level on pulls. He's not perfect, but that mean streak and tenaciousness would come a long way in this league especially on our team. Plus, I read he is really intelligent and not just football IQ. Great character on and off the field as well. Sounds like a Baalke groupie for sure.

Do you think we will have to draft him with that first second in order to get him because I see him as a mid to end 2nd rounder?

PS Who do you think would be better Crabtree or Watkins? Do we make a play for Watkins since he's up as a FA in 2015? Just curious what you think about Watkins VS Crabs. Thanks.
[ Edited by ninertico on Feb 5, 2014 at 11:34 AM ]

Agree!
Share 49ersWebzone