There are 99 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

a Mock Draft better than a bag of Skittles

Originally posted by xcfan:
Originally posted by lamontb:
Not bad but yeah you kinda went overboard with the d lineman.

we have 4 d-linemen i like: cowboy, mac, ian, dorsey. everyone else is unknown or mediocre in my eyes. need new blood.
What about Tank Carradine? We just can't give up on the guy before he's played his 1st preseason game. If we keep him that makes 5. Draft 1 more that gives us a solid 6 man rotation. You could even draft 2 and have a 7th for depth and let TJ-Eddie and Dial battle it out to see if we keep and 8th DL or cut both and only keep 7 but to draft 3 makes no sense. We can always draft another next year or the year after.

Our NT's are young. Tank is a possible heir apparent for Mac or Smith. Draft 1 and we now have 2 potential heir apparents to our starting DT's.Draft 2 and that gives us 3. Isn't that enough?
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
What about Tank Carradine? We just can't give up on the guy before he's played his 1st preseason game. If we keep him that makes 5. Draft 1 more that gives us a solid 6 man rotation. You could even draft 2 and have a 7th for depth and let TJ-Eddie and Dial battle it out to see if we keep and 8th DL or cut both and only keep 7 but to draft 3 makes no sense. We can always draft another next year or the year after.

Our NT's are young. Tank is a possible heir apparent for Mac or Smith. Draft 1 and we now have 2 potential heir apparents to our starting DT's.Draft 2 and that gives us 3. Isn't that enough?

good argument.
but, i believe in overdrafting d-line in order to insure and maintain its dominance during post-season play. having a hole in the dam at that point is a tragedy that can and should be avoided. it's also important to have a couple legit guys around early to cover training camp and pre-season injuries.
i want these guys ready to go at a moments notice:
dorsey
mcd
justin
ian
tank
tuitt
mauro -- insurance/PS
coleman -- insurance/PS

a dominant d-line from sept-feb gets you far.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
i happen to think j-eddie and dial are very weak starter material, and need to be replaced.
good argument.
but, i believe in overdrafting d-line in order to insure and maintain its dominance during post-season play. having a hole in the dam at that point is a tragedy that can and should be avoided. it's also important to have a couple legit guys around early to cover training camp and pre-season injuries.
dorsey
mcd
justin
ian
tank
tuitt
mauro -- insurance/PS
coleman -- insurance/PS

So you want to waste a 3rd on a "insurance/practice squad" DL. Horrible logic. Why not get someone that'll contribute?
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:

good argument.
dorsey
mcd
justin
ian
tank
tuitt
mauro -- insurance/PS
coleman -- insurance/PS

Forget practice squad. Those guys would be nabbed by another team in a heart beat.

As much as we need other positions like CB, S and WR and possibly C I would grab Tuitt if he fell far enough in the draft to put him in reach. My last mock on the fansite link he fell to me at 30 and I picked him. I like Mauro as a prospect and if he falls to the 4th round I would take him too. I want a DL strong enough to rotate in guys and have depth. TJ-Eddie and Dial are good enough to fight for the 8th spot if we decide to keep 8. We lost Williams in the 1st game and didn't have Tank last year or Tuitt and Mauro and our DL was great.Throw in Tuitt and Mauro even better. It wasn't our D-line that kept us from the Superbowl.

Also. Don't be so quick to give up on Dial. We have not seen him play healthy for us yet. The 49ers drafted him in the 5th knowing he was hurt and would probably red shirt his rookie year. They must have seen some real potential in him or they wouldn't have drafted him knowing he was hurt. Even if we have injuries I doubt Coleman becomes the difference in making our season.

We have 2 returning corners in Brock and Culliver. Cox and Morris are depth at best. If we draft 2 more that gives us 4 to man 3 spots in the nickel. What if we get a couple hurt in preseason? That leaves us with 2 legit starters for 3 positions. Should we draft 4 to cover potential preseason injuries? You really can't operate that way. If we draft 1 DL that gives us 6 starters or heir aparents to man 3 spots plus legit depth behind that. That would already be the strongest unit on the team. Add a 2nd and you have taken it even further. I would rather draft a 3rd CB than a DL.
rd. 2: pierre desir, cb, lindenwood. tall, athletic cb with that rangy body like sherman. gives us that added dimension come match-up time. by all accounts he made plays against the big boys at the senior bowl while making the big adjustment from small, small school play.

based on this picture, no thanks.