There are 225 users in the forums

Deone Bucannon, FS/SS Washington State

Originally posted by buck:
Here is a chart that shows the passes defended by players commonly mentioned as possible replacements for Whitner.

My sense is that we need a player with solid coverage skills.

The players are ranked by passes defended per game.

LOL, this guy and his charts.

Originally posted by Gore_21:
Watching Ward he definitely seems more like a FS and a guy who can cover. If we would convert him to SS I'd want him to bulk up to around 200 to better handle the run.
Why would we need to change him to SS? Fangio has stated in the past he prefers his Safeties to be interchangeable. Therefore the whole strong/free label would just be that, only a label. He'd prefer them to be like Willis/Bowman at MLB and be mirror images as players.
Bucannon shows up on just about every mock I have seen on the zone. Closest thing I have
ever seen to a consensus around here.

Run the card up to the podium.
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
Bucannon shows up on just about every mock I have seen on the zone. Closest thing I have

Pretty muh ensures we wont draft him.
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Why would we need to change him to SS? Fangio has stated in the past he prefers his Safeties to be interchangeable. Therefore the whole strong/free label would just be that, only a label. He'd prefer them to be like Willis/Bowman at MLB and be mirror images as players.

That's true you don't have to label them but he will have to play in the box at times and would have to handle the run. Just my opinion but I'd have him bulk up some to help him handle the run and blocker shedding. Of course our LBs and DL do most of the run stopping but if Lynch was coming at Ward would you feel comfortable with him as the last line of defense? So yeah even though I want a guy who's better at coverage than run stopping he still has to do both well. I'm not saying Ward can't stop the run I just think in the NFL he'd have to bulk up to handle NFL guys. Just my opinion I have been wrong many times before.
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:

Basically means he won't get drafted by the 49ers and I honestly hope he doesn't. Too many holes in his game overall.
HUGE fan of Bucannon. I live very close to Pullman, WA. This kid is a stud. One thing I like about him is that he always seems to be around the ball. Wherever it is. He has the potential to make an Earl Thomas type of impact the the NFL in my opinion.
Originally posted by Kes8514:
HUGE fan of Bucannon. I live very close to Pullman, WA. This kid is a stud. One thing I like about him is that he always seems to be around the ball. Wherever it is. He has the potential to make an Earl Thomas type of impact the the NFL in my opinion.

Or just as much chance to make a Taylor Mays sort of impact.
Originally posted by Travisty13:

Fangio likes to use his safeties as backside containment. It's a versatility that most safeties dont possess to the extent Reid does. I know he overran Lynch in that last game but thats an oddity to his play. IMO Reid would be a dominant SS. He's going to be as his play will only get better.

I think if we can get a true centerfield that can at least make a tackle we could make that pick. Jimmie Ward or Clinton Dix. Reids intelligence and versatility gives us that advantage.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
That's true you don't have to label them but he will have to play in the box at times and would have to handle the run. Just my opinion but I'd have him bulk up some to help him handle the run and blocker shedding. Of course our LBs and DL do most of the run stopping but if Lynch was coming at Ward would you feel comfortable with him as the last line of defense? So yeah even though I want a guy who's better at coverage than run stopping he still has to do both well. I'm not saying Ward can't stop the run I just think in the NFL he'd have to bulk up to handle NFL guys. Just my opinion I have been wrong many times before.

I think you are nit-picking, and will explain.

Body-types. Goldson was a hitter that could shed blocks adequately as a safety, and tackle when using good form and angles. Goldson was a wiry 6-2 and 200 lbs. Ward is 5'11 and 191 lbs. To me, due to their body-types.. slight advantage goes to Ward. Ward is basically the same.. but has lower center gravity to keep his feet under him. Ward has 31 and 1/2" arms to keep blockers off of his body. Goldson has 31 and 3/8" length.

Bottom line is, I don't think there's enough reason to worry about his run defense.

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Kes8514:

Or just as much chance to make a Taylor Mays sort of impact.

It's possible, I tend to lean towards him being a little more productive than Mays. But you never know. The draft is so important. Especially this year for the Niners.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
I think you are nit-picking, and will explain.

Body-types. Goldson was a hitter that could shed blocks adequately as a safety, and tackle when using good form and angles. Goldson was a wiry 6-2 and 200 lbs. Ward is 5'11 and 191 lbs. To me, due to their body-types.. slight advantage goes to Ward. Ward is basically the same.. but has lower center gravity to keep his feet under him. Ward has 31 and 1/2" arms to keep blockers off of his body. Goldson has 31 and 3/8" length.

Bottom line is, I don't think there's enough reason to worry about his run defense.

I think Reid is versatile enough that they can move him around as well and put him in the box too, he's certainly got the size for it. With the way the NFL is leaning, I'll take a good coverage guy over a hard hitter anyday, as long as the player is technically sound and can tackle reliably in the open field, I see no issue with it.

As far as the size thing, that's something else I like about LaMarcus Joyner, even though he's only 5'8", the guy is over 190 pounds, I don't think people realize just how thick he is. Ward doesn't have a bad build either considering his height, if he could get up to 200 without sacrificing any of his coverage ability, that's all he really needs.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I think Reid is versatile enough that they can move him around as well and put him in the box too, he's certainly got the size for it. With the way the NFL is leaning, I'll take a good coverage guy over a hard hitter anyday, as long as the player is technically sound and can tackle reliably in the open field, I see no issue with it.

As far as the size thing, that's something else I like about LaMarcus Joyner, even though he's only 5'8", the guy is over 190 pounds, I don't think people realize just how thick he is. Ward doesn't have a bad build either considering his height, if he could get up to 200 without sacrificing any of his coverage ability, that's all he really needs.

Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

Another reason why I think that Earl Thomas is the only irreplaceable part of that Seattle secondary. Sherman and Maxwell could go FO somewhere else, and that secondary would still be great because of the exceptional range and coverage skills of Thomas which are the great equalizer. If he ever goes down for a lengthy period of time due to injury, you'll get to see what that secondary really looks like without him setting the table for everyone. He lets them cheat a lot on coverage and get away with that single high look consistently. A rangy centerfielder like that is especially crucial when you consider the increase of mobile QB's in the NFL today.

If I were running a team, I'd spend far more time scouting safeties and money retaining them then cornerbacks. I think it is a position of utmost importance and if you have two guys who are very strong in coverage, who can be interchangeable basically, that is the ultimate ideal. However it is easier said than done, there's plenty of teams that don't even have one quality safety.

If a guy like Ward is legit, and I haven't seen enough of him to make a judgment one way or another, then I would be happy to see him as a 49er. I'm trying to be more cautious with off-season hype though, I bit on the Cyprien hype last season and he looked flat out terrible and far too raw to be a starter in the NFL.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 28, 2014 at 10:42 AM ]
I actually have us taking him with our 3rd pick.
Share 49ersWebzone