There are 137 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Deone Bucannon, FS/SS Washington State

Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Dixon is my favorite, just because of the upside, biut in reality, none of these guys are ready to start from Day 1. Best case scenario is Whitner re-signs for 2 more seasons, allowing a rookie to develop in that time. Not a fan of Bucannon, whereas both Dixon and Bucannon aren't superb in coverage,Dixon at least is a very capable and fundamentally sound tackler.

Agree, I think Dixon plays stiff and probably will struggle in coverage and Bucannon isnt a great tackler; from what I seen he can be blocked out easily. I was trying to find more on Calvin Pryor. Just not liking this SS class and I'd prefer to move on from Whitner get cheaper and younger but not sure we can with what is out there. I'd give Whitner 1-2 years at his age like 3 million or so a year but I think he could be looking for a 3-4 year deal.

I think he i gonna want security more than anything, dont think he will want anything short of three years.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
I think he i gonna want security more than anything, dont think he will want anything short of three years.

May not have a choice, we'll have to see what the market looks like for his services considering he'll be 29 years old at the start of next season.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Huge fan of this guy. He is more of a FS, which is fine, as I like thought of Eric Reid at SS anyway. Back to Ward, he has lots of experience covering slot WRs, and would be a great FS option for us.

I'd definitely like to see some more of him, love his versatility, if it means the 49ers having two FS, centerfielder types, I can live with that, as long as both guys are competent tacklers, I don't see the issue, that's the general direction the NFL is moving in anyways. Ward doesn't have great size but neither does Earl Thomas, if he can hang and be a playmaker on defense, I'm all for it.
We sooo shuld have taken another S in the top 4 last season. Whatever. Thats why Wwhitner is one of biggest needs to resign this offseason, simply no one i trust to replace him.

I like Buccanon, i think he can be coached, but he is raw. I also like Christian Bryant alot in the latr rounds as a potential developmental project, but really we need to reign whitner.

Hes not perfect, but without resigning him our secndary going into next season will be scary in a bad way.

Yeah we didn't address S last year and probably should have so we had a guy in the waiting. Definitely isn't Dahl and probably not Spillman. No young guy waiting. We might even need 2 safeties but depends if Dahl is cut to save money or not. Ventrone will likely be back. If we go 2 safeties could use a late round guy and Bryant might be an option. People think safeties work out like Reid did but that is very rare and I wouldn't expect anyone taken to be SS this year to come in and do as well as Reid. Clinton-Dix I would have the most expectations for but most of these guys I'd be worried. Plus there will be a dropoff at CB with Brown and Rogers likely gone. Brock, Culliver, 1st/2nd, Cox, DP, Morris is decent but definitely not as good as we had this year. Imagine if we had Culliver this year that would have been ridiculous. Brock, Brown, Culliver, Rogers, Cox, Asomugha? Then again Brock probably doesn't get a chance if Asomugha never gets hurt. So anyways back to the secondary yeah we won't be a top 5 pass d like the last few years. Will be a drop off so have to hope our pass rush is better and that Fangio will blitz more if we aren't getting a good pass rush.

I agree about Whitner too I'm thinking he will want 3 years and at 29 we should only give him 1-2. I'd say he will want 3.5-4 million and 3 years but I'd offer about 3 and 2 years max.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Jan 26, 2014 at 7:37 PM ]
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Yeah we didn't address S last year and probably should have so we had a guy in the waiting. Definitely isn't Dahl and probably not Spillman. No young guy waiting. We might even need 2 safeties but depends if Dahl is cut to save money or not. Ventrone will likely be back. If we go 2 safeties could use a late round guy and Bryant might be an option. People think safeties work out like Reid did but that is very rare and I wouldn't expect anyone taken to be SS this year to come in and do as well as Reid. Clinton-Dix I would have the most expectations for but most of these guys I'd be worried. Plus there will be a dropoff at CB with Brown and Rogers likely gone. Brock, Culliver, 1st/2nd, Cox, DP, Morris is decent but definitely not as good as we had this year. Imagine if we had Culliver this year that would have been ridiculous. Brock, Brown, Culliver, Rogers, Cox, Asomugha? Then again Brock probably doesn't get a chance if Asomugha never gets hurt. So anyways back to the secondary yeah we won't be a top 5 pass d like the last few years. Will be a drop off so have to hope our pass rush is better and that Fangio will blitz more if we aren't getting a good pass rush.

Not necessarily. If anything, if they make the right picks, the secondary could improve. Brock certainly might get better, Culliver will be back, plus whoever they draft, if they get a slot corner that is superior to Rogers, who knows what they can look like? Reid will have a full season under his belt.

In the end though, the pass rush or lack of it will be the biggest determiner of how the secondary looks.
Not necessarily. If anything, if they make the right picks, the secondary could improve. Brock certainly might get better, Culliver will be back, plus whoever they draft, if they get a slot corner that is superior to Rogers, who knows what they can look like? Reid will have a full season under his belt.

In the end though, the pass rush or lack of it will be the biggest determiner of how the secondary looks.

Still short Brown who is the our 1st or 2nd best CB with Brock. I think our slot will be a 1st/2nd rounder vs Cox/Wright (whoever we re-sign). I think Cox/Wright should be a #4 ideally. I hope we can hit with Gilbert/Verrett,etc and can come in and be a good #3 slot guy. If Culliver can play like 2012 (minus the SB) then we would have a solid 1 and 2. Cox or Wright is a decent 4. Maybe we re-sign both of them. I'm curious as to what they expect out of Morris at CB or if they feel he is just a ST guy. So yeah if we can hit at 3rd CB/SS we could be nearly as good but if not yikes we will be relying on the pass rush/blitz. That being said pass rush should be better with Carradine and hopefully a 3rd-4th round DE. TJE has been a nice fine as well but isn't necessarily a pass rusher.
Buchannon would be great pick in the 2nd round. He will be a SS, not a FS in the NFL, he has excellent measurables, good ball skills and loves to hit. He led the PAC 12 in tackles on a so so Cougars defense. He and Reid would make a good pair on the back end of the Niner defense for years.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nSTaBtWItEhttps
Sounds like a less polished Whitner. Not sure if I like him for this team. I learned my lesson last year drooling over Cyprien so ill let Baalke work his magic.
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
Buchannon would be great pick in the 2nd round. He will be a SS, not a FS in the NFL, he has excellent measurables, good ball skills and loves to hit. He led the PAC 12 in tackles on a so so Cougars defense. He and Reid would make a good pair on the back end of the Niner defense for years.

Would be nice if he could tackle. He seems like a dinosaur type safety that 10 years ago would have gotten people going nuts but nowadays is all but being erased from the game. Big hitter, average in coverage, shoddy tackler.

Would be nice if he could tackle. He seems like a dinosaur type safety that 10 years ago would have gotten people going nuts but nowadays is all but being erased from the game. Big hitter, average in coverage, shoddy tackler.

I watched nearly every WSU game this season and he looked really good to me. Put on the tape from the Auburn or USC games and let me know what you think.
  • Jd925
  • Veteran

I hope you would look beyond what one guy wrote. Buchanon has the 4th most tackles in WSU history (379) as a safety! Linebackers are supposed to have the most tackles. If you look at the top 10 tacklers in the Pac-12 Deone is #1. The next 6 players on the leading tackler list are linebackers. The blogger who wrote the article is off. Someone even responded to the article to address the tackling issue. I think he's above average in coverage too. 15 career Int's with 6 this past year is probably near the top. The only downside is that WSU defense was terrible so it's hard to determine how much of an impact he was making.
We sooo shuld have taken another S in the top 4 last season. Whatever. Thats why Wwhitner is one of biggest needs to resign this offseason, simply no one i trust to replace him.

I like Buccanon, i think he can be coached, but he is raw. I also like Christian Bryant alot in the latr rounds as a potential developmental project, but really we need to reign whitner.

Hes not perfect, but without resigning him our secndary going into next season will be scary in a bad way.

I think the 49ers saw the Safety position as being a problem last year and thus not only did they draft Reid, but they signed Craig Dahl to a friendly long term deal. Dahl will start and a drafted rookie will be given every opportunity to start but will have to earn the position. Thus new rookie Safety will not be thrown to the wolves regarding understanding all the calls and formations from Day 1. Dahl will be ready to go having been with the 49ers for a year.
Originally posted by Garlicboy:

I think the 49ers saw the Safety position as being a problem last year and thus not only did they draft Reid, but they signed Craig Dahl to a friendly long term deal. Dahl will start and a drafted rookie will be given every opportunity to start but will have to earn the position. Thus new rookie Safety will not be thrown to the wolves regarding understanding all the calls and formations from Day 1. Dahl will be ready to go having been with the 49ers for a year.
Dahl as the starter....

No thanks.
Christian bryant is my project guy following this formula. Late round guy due to his injury, but he i a gamer IMO and was a leader in that locker room even after the injury.

Hell yeah braddah I love this kid too! Not many know of him so I'm glad you do. I'd easily use a pick on him