There are 280 users in the forums

Mock with a big trade

Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
I understand its a mock but why bother with specualting on a trade that isnt going to happen unless the Browns got blown away with an amazing offer (which a first and a 3rd isnt).

It probably would take more, but we simply don't know that. If the report that they were asking for a 2nd was true, then a first and a third is a huge jump from that. Even if it took a first and a second, or a first and another first next year, it'd probably be worth it. Hell we wasted first round picks on receivers like AJ Jenkins and Rashaun Woods.
Originally posted by BadgerHawk:
I'd take it but it isn't gonna happen.

true
Unless Whitner's willing to take a hometown discount, chances of him re-signing could be slim. Kind of depends on who else walks, too, WRT cap space. I think there will be some trades, using some of the 12/13 picks to move into position for quality at a few positions. TB could trade the #30 pick if he could get another 2nd rounder, for example. He could use one of 'em to grab a S, I really like Bucannon from WA St. I like your CB picks, but the 5-8 dude's pretty short for the NFL, even playing the slot. Baalke will likely draft a DL, but we're really pretty solid along the front with Ian Williams returning and as stated, T J-E and Dobbs' improved play. Dial could get aced out of a roster spot, methinks. I think TB goes CB & S early on, possibly a WR (would love to see one of the 6-5 dudes, but that'd likely have to be in 1st rd). Depending on what Gore does, they might be in the market for a big RB. Gerhart could fill that bill or a draftee, possibly. ILB makes sense given Bowman's uncertain status. Not to beat a dead horse, but with the Browns just hiring yet another HC, very doubtful he'd be willing to depart with his best playmaker.
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Originally posted by Garlicboy:
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
He was coming fresh off a suspension. He kept his nose clean the rest of the season and was the best WR in the league last year. Browns would be an even bigger laughing stock if they traded Gordon for a late first and a third. That would be robbery, and the fan base would revolt. Even two firsts and a developmental wr at this point they would likely balk at.

Not sure that would be robbery. Percy Harvin was traded for a 1st (#25) and a 3rd. I think Josh Gordon is worth more at this point, but I wouldn't call a 1st and a 3rd for Josh Gordon insulting, but it will start some conversations.

Trent Richardson was traded for a 1st and people thought the Browns were idiots for getting so little in return. Looks like the Browns are laughing now.

Did you just really compare the Harvin Trade to a possible Gordon trade? One is a top 3 WR, the other doesnt play. Harvin was also on a contract year... Gordon still has a favorable contract with two years left.

There is no comparison. To get a trade done for Gordon would take ATLEAST two firsts to even get them to the table to begin talking.

Look, all I'm saying is that a trade for Gordon isn't impossible like people are claiming. And you have no idea that it would take at least two first round picks for Gordon. Gordon obviously was a top 3 wide receiver, but again he is one mistake away from a year long suspension, which is why he was on the trade block in the first place. The asking price during the regular season was reportedly a second round pick. Gordon was already a confirmed stud. Now who knows what his value is. But as this is a mock, a first round pick and a third round pick is not utterly ridiculous like some seem to think. The Browns very well may balk at that offer, but you don't know that and I don't know that. Remember, the Browns are notorious for being bad and doing very questionable things. Like wasting two first round picks on an old quarterback and a runningback they would just trade away the following year.

Like i said back when the trade talks began imediately after his suspension, a second rounder was never going to get Gordon, and if the Browns had traded him for a second they would be in major trouble with their fan base. I said he was worth at least a first when the trade rumors began way bak when. I even said i would give up a first and a third then....People said i was crazy, and well here we are.

Now like phoenix said, he is untradeable. Too much talent.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Look, all I'm saying is that a trade for Gordon isn't impossible like people are claiming. And you have no idea that it would take at least two first round picks for Gordon. Gordon obviously was a top 3 wide receiver, but again he is one mistake away from a year long suspension, which is why he was on the trade block in the first place. The asking price during the regular season was reportedly a second round pick. Gordon was already a confirmed stud. Now who knows what his value is. But as this is a mock, a first round pick and a third round pick is not utterly ridiculous like some seem to think. The Browns very well may balk at that offer, but you don't know that and I don't know that. Remember, the Browns are notorious for being bad and doing very questionable things. Like wasting two first round picks on an old quarterback and a runningback they would just trade away the following year.

I also think that claim was b******t. Supposedly multiple teams offered a 2nd rounder, if so, the deal should have gotten done, no? The issue is that Cleveland always wanted a 1st round pick for the guy, they had gotten a 1st rounder for Richardson and were hoping to get the same or better for Gordon, this was before he went GOAT mode and now he is virtually untradeable.

I look at the Cleveland fanbase the same as I do a battered wife who gets smacked around, smacked around, eventually one day she pulls out a gun and kills the son of a b***h. Trading Gordon would precipitate that "torches and pitchforks" moment for the Browns as he is their only true franchise player on offense. Not even Lombardi is dumb enough to move the guy at this point, he's simply too good, in the same way that you won't trade Megatron, you won't trade Gordon who put up absolutely bats**t insane numbers playing with Tweedleedee and Tweedleedumb at quarterback.

They won't trade him the same way that the 49ers won't trade Aldon Smith due to his issues. By all accounts Gordon appears to have cleaned his act up and was a model teammate this season. Forget it, he's not going anywhere.

You're probably right. But this is a mock and he was on the trade block. I still think, for the right price, Cleveland would be willing to deal him. Remember it's the Cleveland Browns. If I'm the 49ers, I'd be more than willing to give up a first and another high pick for a player of that caliber, even with the baggage that he has. The Browns could use more high picks and I don't think Gordon is off limits, like say a Calvin Johnson would be.

I would give up two firsts and a developmental WR for him right now. Still doesnt mean its a remote possibility. Its not our style, and Browns wont trae him for anything less than a blockbuster deal.
Share 49ersWebzone