There are 137 users in the forums

Senior Bowl Recap

Good morning (Im on the West Coast) everyone, I got to cover the Senior Bowl with my superiors for the second time in a row this year. I wanted to post when I got home but wanted to wait so my opinion()s would be more on the week as a whole and not just the game. If anyone has questions about a player or game I would be more than happy to give my thoughts. All I caution is that I'm giving my opinion and I'm not foolish to state its better than anyone else's. It just mine based of my experience of playing the game, how I breakdown film (given by agents) and the week of practice and game.

Before I begin, I really think Bradley is going to get it down In Jax. The players seemed to be far more receptive to him and embraced what he was selling. His energy in contagious and glad he is no longer with Seattle

* Dee Ford OLB/DE Auburn
Clearly a great burst off the edge, but has a tendency to rely on his speed too much and doesn't have another elite move. He showed his speed quite well during the game. Wanted to see him against OT Martin though

* Josh Huff WR Oregon
Maybe its me thinking this program produces great offensive athletes and not position players but he showed a lot. The routes he ran, especially in the red zone were really good. Knowing the subtle and actually doing them at his speed are different. The way helot DBs get close and then push off for separation reminded me of Steve Smith in the playoffs against Tarrel Brown.

*Michael Schofield G/T Michigan
As far as practice goes, he looked great. Stoning most of his opposition in 1 on 1 at G and T. But his film is not great, especially against stunts. To me he is the perfect late round pick you store on a 53 man roster and let develop as a swing tackle. Probably better in a zone scheme in my opinion

*Jordan Zumwalt ILB UCLA
At the start of the week I thought he be a late day 3 pick possibility for San Fran. After this week of practice and securing a combine invite he is more likely a late 2nd or early 3rd. Anyway, love the guy and Mayock openly talked about how much he respects Mora's opinion last year. He was the least heralded of heir linebackers, with Barr, Kendrick and Jack, but can see him in the league for 10 years going to the pro bowl as a ST stud and quality backup ILB. He also played offense in heavy running sets as a H-Back

*Chris Borlan ILB Wisconsin
Same as Zumwalt but better instincts

*Aaron Colvin CB OU
Just feel bad for the guy, tearing his ACL. Wish him nothing but a quick and safe recovery

*Christian Jones ILB/OLB FSU
Initially I thought he was just an ILB but during the week of practice he showed flashes of OLB and played both during the game. Have to think he didn't hurt his value by displaying scheme versatility

* Telvin Smith ILB FSU
I know he is undersized, but this dude is everywhere. I've watched for of his tapes and he has head in everything. Hi IQ and motor. Love watching play with passion. Whoever drafts him needs to have a plan since he is too small for an ILB and might be to big for S. wouldn't shock me to see him as a quality S down the road. That kind of athlete with a strong desire to succeed.

*Jordan Matthews WR Vandy
To start I personally love this guy, and its not bc he's related to the GOAT. HE has better speed and burst than people give him credit for. He will never be a 4.4 guy, but his long strides allow him to gain ground quickly. His route running was the best at the Senior Bowl and might be the best in the whole class. Plus I give him a ton of credit for being the guy every wk the last 3 years. Being double and tripled team in the SEC every game and still producing. I hope his still around so he's at least an option.

*Lorenzo Taliaferro RB Costal Carolina
Have seen no film on the guy, but his was shifty during practice and the game.

*Bryan Stork C FSU
Winner of the Remington trophy I really thought he'd be the best replacement for Goodwin. The fact is the Niners are going to have to rebuild the interior of their line over the next two years. Iupati and Boone are going to both need new contracts soon and who knows how much the front office values guards. Stork is an high IQ guy calling are the protections at the line of scrimmage, ran a similar offense at FSU and is durable. As a 3rd pick, won't be sexy but have to imagine it would be quality. Only question is if they prefer Kilgore.

*Deone Bucannon SS WSU
Seems to be the guy on this board and his wk did nothing to discourage anyone here. I fierce hitter and simply doesn't care which what we need going against Lynch. He moves good in space, but I imagine Donatell can improve his hips. If you want to see really good film I'd recommend this yr vs USC or last year vs Washington. He was everywhere. But to be fair, look at the film vs UCLA the last two yrs and you don't see a 1st or 2nd round pick. He gets confused by the motion of players lost his assignment. For the record I'm high on him, but I can see a similar debate to Eric Reid occurring where people love him and hate him. I personally think its a good pick in the 2nd round.

*Jimmie Ward S Northern Illinois
Much less heralded and won't have the wow factor like Bucannon or even Dixon (maybe) but I think he's was best coverage safety this week. For a safety did well in the slot against the quicker receivers and struggles against the bigger (i.e. Shaq Evans UCLA). In team he never got beat deep and came up making sound tackles the way the NFL wants it. His strike zone are the thighs and have to believe he tries to always separate the ball since I counted at least 6 times he did successfully.

Hope this helps
Deone Buchannon is going to struggle in coverage in the NFL. The NFL is no longer going to let safety's knock a receiver out after he catches the ball. 9 times out of 10 it's going to be a 15 yard penalty. Lamarcus Joyner of Florida St. is the free safety I want playing for the 49ers. A guy that can cover all over the field but also can match up against slot receivers.
You know we have a whole thread about the Senior Bowl already, right?
Thanks man, really good post.
Who was better in practice the whole week and in the game btwn Josh Huff and Robert Herron?
Thanks for your insight, love hearing about Mathews and Stork. What's your opinion on SJB?
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
You know we have a whole thread about the Senior Bowl already, right?

yes. we do.

some poster lack thread discipline.

merge and lock
Originally posted by SanFranFanfrmVa:
Deone Buchannon is going to struggle in coverage in the NFL. The NFL is no longer going to let safety's knock a receiver out after he catches the ball. 9 times out of 10 it's going to be a 15 yard penalty. Lamarcus Joyner of Florida St. is the free safety I want playing for the 49ers. A guy that can cover all over the field but also can match up against slot receivers.

NFL outlaws big hits, but you still need to tackle. You can also be a big hitter, but not get penalized, just look at Eric Reid.

Bottom line, good Safety's do both. We need a Safety who can hit and cover. Got one last year, hopefully we get another one this year.
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
Who was better in practice the whole week and in the game btwn Josh Huff and Robert Herron?

Josh Huff
Originally posted by LottOfDefense:
Thanks for your insight, love hearing about Mathews and Stork. What's your opinion on SJB?

Not sure he fits the 49ers system with Fangio as the DC. He is a big physical corner who needs to get his hands on receivers to be successful. I think he would be better suited for a Tampa 2 scheme. He really has trouble finding the ball in press and run, whereas when he's squared towards the OB with an eye on the receiver and QB he reacts better. But in the late rounds why not.

Share 49ersWebzone