There are 144 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Perfect Draft for 49ers

Cut/FA Departures: Anquan Boldin WR, Carlos Rodgers CB, Donte Whitner SS, Mario Manningham WR, Jonathon Goodwin C, Jon Baldwin WR, Tarell Brown CB, Anthony Dixon RB, Colt McCoy QB, Adam Snyder OG, Demarcus Dobbs DT, Eric Wright CB.

Resign/ FA Additions: Michael Whilhoite ILB, Kassim Osgood WR, Perish Cox CB, Phil Dawson K, Tarvaris Jackson QB (Maybe we can learn a thing or two about Seattle).

The 49ers trade their 1st round pick for a high (top 8) 2nd and 4th round pick.

49ers trade Kendal Hunter for a 4th round draft pick. (We need to give Lattimore a chance to play and Hunter a chance to start)

2a. Jordan Mathews WR 6-3 209. Mathews is a very well rounded receiver with great hands. He is a great route runner and has a high football IQ. He is a lot like Crabtree with tremendous catching ability. He is capable of being the 49ers #2 receiver. NFL Comparison: James Jones

2b. Deone Bucannon SS 6-1 215. Bucannon is a big hitting safety with big play ability. Scouts have gone as far as compare him to Eric Berry. His ball skills will make him a great safety for the 49ers. He and Reid at safety will make a great safety combo for years to come. NFL Comparison: Eric Berry

2c. Kyle Fuller CB 6-0 194. Fuller is a big physical CB that is very aggressive in run and pass coverage. He has smooth hips and natural footwork. He is not the fastest corner but has great ball skills. He could be our #2 or 3 corner depending on how Culliver comes back. NFL Comparison: Antoine Winfield

3a. Pierre Desir CB 6-1 195. Desir is experience in both man to man press coverage and zone coverage. Has great length and fluid hips and is able to cover ground quickly. He has a nose for the ball but needs to improve tackling technique. With him and Fuller coming to the 49ers it will fix our huge need at CB.

3b. Donte Moncrief WR 6-2 226. Moncrief's thick frame, deceptive speed and smooth route running make him a nightmare for cornerbacks. He is sudden in his breaks, showing the ability to generate separation even against tight man coverage, and accelerates quickly, often leaving defenders in his dust on double-moves. He also has great hands. Moncrief has the potential to be a star in this league. NFL Comparison: Hakeem Nicks

3c. Dominique Easley DE 6-2 285. Easley is a first round talent that can drop to the third round due to injury. With Justin Smith and Ray McDonald getting up there in age Easley paired up with Carradine looks to be the future. Only thing is that he needs more weight in order to be a 3-4 DE/DT. NFL Comparison: Jay Ratliff

4a. Lamin Barrow ILB 6-1 232. Barrow's is an incredible athlete. However he does need to work on his technique. With some coaching Barrow can provide great depth at ILB, something we will most likely need as bowman probably wont return until midway through the season.

4b. Brett Smith QB 6-3 206. Smith is a better athlete than given credit with deceiving mobility and very quick feet to be elusive in the pocket and avoid pressure. He has good-enough height and has worked hard to bulk up his frame, spending considerable time in the weight room. Smith scans the field quickly, works through his reads and does an excellent job recognizing soft spots in coverage pre-snap. Gutsy competitor who plays the game of football with a chip on his shoulder and he'll win over NFL coaches with his attitude, work ethic and overall football passion.

4c. Tyler Larsen C 6-4 317. Larsen is a tall, barrel-chested center with surprising mobility. Good initial quickness off the ball. Can turn and seal off defenders in the running game, creating effective lanes. He can compete with Kilgore for the starting center position.

5. Aaron Colvin CB 6-0 192. Colvin is a physical corner with a tough-minded approach against the run and in coverage. He was the best corner at the senior bowl until he tore his ACL. A day 2 talent can now fall into the 49ers hands in round 5. The 49ers can redshirt him and bring him in to compete in 2015.

6. Xavier Grimble TE 6-5 250. Big receiving TE that can provide Kaepernick a big target in the red zone. He is not much of a blocker but a great receiver.

7a. Trey Millard FB/TE/WR 6-2 253. Millard is a very athletic and talented fullback. He has the athleticism and skills after the catch to be used in an H-Back role in the NFL. He's also a strong runner who knows how to get behind his pads and could serve as a goal line back. He was a projected 5th round pick but after tearing his ACL he isn't expected to get drafted. He could fulfill an Anthony Dixon/Delanie Walker type of role and be an IR stash for 2014.

7b. Spencer Long OG 6-4 315. Long is a very intelligent and experienced colligate player. He is very athletic as he pulls a lot for Nebraska's offense. He also has the size and strength to succeed in the NFL. He is another IR stash after tearing his ACL this season.

7c. Nickoe Whitley FS 6-0 205. Whitley is one of best playmakers at the safety position in the country with great ball skills. He is a massive impact hitter that is excellent in run support. He takes good angles to the ball also. Coming off ACL injury he will he an IR stash and replace Dahl as a backup and special teams player.

53 Man Roster/Depth Chart:
QB: Kaepernick, Jackson, Smith
RB: Gore, Lattimore, James
WR: Crabtree, Mathews, Patton, Moncreif, Osgood
TE: Davis, McDonald, Grimble
OT: Staley, Davis, Bykowski
OG: Iupati, Boone, Looney
C: Kilgore, Larsen
DT: J. Smith, McDonald, Carradine, TJE, Dial
NT: Dorsey, Williams
OLB: A. Smith, Brooks, Lemonier, Skuta
ILB: Willis, Whilhoite, Barrow, Moody
CB: Brock, Culliver, Fuller, Desir, Cox
FS: Reid, Dahl, Ventrone
SS: Bucannon, Spillman
ST: Lee, McDermott, Dawson

With only 50 players here the 49ers can get some veteran backups that can play special teams.

IR/PUP List: Navorro Bowman ILB, Dominique Easley DT, Aaron Colvin CB, Trey Millard FB/TE, Spencer Long OG, Nickoe Whitley FS

The reason why I don't have the 49ers trading picks to move up is because this draft is so deep with so many underclassmen. I fear next years draft is going to be weak. This draft will result in us not having many if at any holes in 2015 so we could trade those 2015 draft picks for 2016 picks and really load up high picks in 2016. Also by taking three very good and talented corners I believe at least one of them will be dominant in the future.
[ Edited by sLarsen7 on Jan 25, 2014 at 2:31 PM ]
You draft two physical receivers instead of getting us at least one fast WR? Why? Given that, we would have an overload of physical/possession receivers. Don't forget that Seattle's DB is a physical one; if you wanna win against them, you have to have some speed; that's where they lack by definition.
Honestly, I would prefer Aaron Murray in the 4th.
Kyle Fuller is agressive? I wouldn't say that he is the best fit for our scheme. Our secondary plays something similar to prevent defense, iirc, off coverage...give the opp some yards but don't give them big gains. An (over)-agressive corner would kill us.

Do not like that you want to let Boldin walk. This man can play another year on a high level, imo. He has got so much experience. Also, I would try to retain Snyder.
Why do you retain Dahl?

DO LIKE Matthews, Buccanon, that you adressed the CB, Colvin, Easley at the end of the 3rd, Larsen in the 4th, Grimble in the 6th.
[ Edited by communist on Jan 25, 2014 at 2:49 PM ]
I am not fan of this mock .
Originally posted by communist:
You draft two physical receivers instead of getting us at least one fast WR? Why? Given that, we would have an overload of physical/possession receivers. Don't forget that Seattle's DB is a physical one; if you wanna win against them, you have to have some speed; that's where they lack by definition.
Kyle Fuller is agressive? I wouldn't say that he is the best fit for our scheme. Our secondary plays something similar to prevent defense, iirc, off coverage...give the opp some yards but don't give them big gains. An (over)-agressive corner would kill us.

Do not like that you want to let Boldin walk. This man can play another year on a high level, imo. He has got so much experience. Also, I would try to retain Snyder.
Why do you retain Dahl?

DO LIKE Matthews, Buccanon, that you adressed the CB, Colvin, Easley at the end of the 3rd, Larsen in the 4th, Grimble in the 6th.

1. You say we need fast receivers to get open against Seattle but a small fast receiver would just get bullied and never get open. Also Moncrief has good speed.
2. Brock has been our best CB this year and he is very aggressive. Also are any great CB not aggressive?(no). Fuller is aggressive but not to the point were it hurts his game.
3. I let boldin walk so we could retain Crabtree
4. I didn't cut Dahl because he can start in this league and be insurance incase Bucannon is a dud (which I don't believe but you have to be prepared for everything). Also Reid is a little injury prone so it's good to have quality depth at Safety.
Originally posted by D-49ers:
I am not fan of this mock .

Why?
stopped reading after this:

Cut/FA Departures: Anquan Boldin WR,
Originally posted by pdizo916:
stopped reading after this:

Cut/FA Departures: Anquan Boldin WR,

This.
Unfortunately in order to resign guys like Kaep, Aldon, Crabs, Iupati, Culliver, Miller, and Kilgore in 2015 we cant resign Boldin and Whitner. Plus Boldin was traded by Baltimore because he wasn't willing to take a pay cut. So now after this huge year he is going to take a pay cut for us? You guys can't be so narrow minded and think that people will sign cheap with us just because were good. Guys like to get paid.
If we don't move up there's a good chance we move back. Baalke usually has next year's draft in mind, so he'll probably trade with that in mind.
Originally posted by sLarsen7:
Originally posted by communist:

Why do you retain Dahl?

1. You say we need fast receivers to get open against Seattle but a small fast receiver would just get bullied and never get open. Also Moncrief has good speed.
2. Brock has been our best CB this year and he is very aggressive. Also are any great CB not aggressive?(no). Fuller is aggressive but not to the point were it hurts his game.
3. I let boldin walk so we could retain Crabtree
4. I didn't cut Dahl because he can start in this league and be insurance incase Bucannon is a dud (which I don't believe but you have to be prepared for everything). Also Reid is a little injury prone so it's good to have quality depth at Safety.

1. Anquan Boldin is as physical as they come and he couldn't do much against Seattle. Also, how much did the Legion of Boom bully TY Hilton? There are formations that we could run where they wouldn't even get a chance to get their hands on a smaller receiver (or any receiver) with top end, not good speed.
2. No problem with this point.
3. Letting Boldin walk in no way insures we retain Michael Crabtree. We can extend both if Michael Crabtree's demands are within reason.
4. With some careful restructuring, we can also retain Donte Whitner which would give us not only a veteran safety, but a good one to mentor Deone Buchanan. We can give him a deal similar to Carlos Rogers and either release or have him take a paycut after two seasons. I'd rather cut Dahl. The secondary of Chris Culliver, Tramaine Brock, Kyle Fuller, Eric Reid, and Donte Whitner could be very formidable. 2013 was the best year for our secondary under Jim Harbaugh and I'd like to keep that going and not do a full makeup just yet.

Overall I do like the mock draft. I love the Jordan Matthews pick, but I feel nervous about trying to get him past 30. But if we are picking in the late 30s, we should be ok. Moncrief is drafted in a perfect spot, but there is no way we can go on with Vernon Davis being our only true deep threat. We need to get a receiver with top end speed and I don't think it would be overkill if we drafted two receivers. I'd prefer either Matthews or Moncrief, along with two faster receivers. Although it would give us 7 receivers (Crabtree, Boldin, Patton, Matthews/Moncrief, Osgood, + 1 burner).

I do not see why we need to trade Kendall Hunter. I also don't think he would warrant a 4th round pick. He's a backup running back who did little in 2013. Why wouldn't a team just draft a running back if they want one? I think he can handle the load if given chance. I also would like to see LaMichael James used a little more as a slot receiver to get him onto the field more. He can replace Anthony Dixon in fulfilling multiple roles on the team. The Smith, Larsen, and Colvin picks are good and I LOVE the drafting of Dominique Easley. If done right, I can see us in a position where we wouldn't have any clear holes heading into the 2015 offseason, and that is after accounting for possible free agent departures. But in order for that to happen, we must retain Boldin, Hunter, and Whitner, which isn't as far fetched as people would like to believe.
Originally posted by sLarsen7:
Unfortunately in order to resign guys like Kaep, Aldon, Crabs, Iupati, Culliver, Miller, and Kilgore in 2015 we cant resign Boldin and Whitner. Plus Boldin was traded by Baltimore because he wasn't willing to take a pay cut. So now after this huge year he is going to take a pay cut for us? You guys can't be so narrow minded and think that people will sign cheap with us just because were good. Guys like to get paid.

See some of AB81's mock offseason's for proof as to how it could be done. The big contracts won't hit us until 2015 and 2016, but things can be done to lower guys like Vernon Davis's, Frank Gore's, and Patrick Willis's cap numbers. Also Kilgore, Culliver, and Miller will not be expensive resigns. Iupati is probably the odd man out, but outside of that, we can realistically make a run with our core players through the 2015 season.
Not into Cutting Boldin but,I like the Matthews and Moncreif picks along with Buchannonm and Easley.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
1. Anquan Boldin is as physical as they come and he couldn't do much against Seattle. Also, how much did the Legion of Boom bully TY Hilton? There are formations that we could run where they wouldn't even get a chance to get their hands on a smaller receiver (or any receiver) with top end, not good speed.
2. No problem with this point.
3. Letting Boldin walk in no way insures we retain Michael Crabtree. We can extend both if Michael Crabtree's demands are within reason.
4. With some careful restructuring, we can also retain Donte Whitner which would give us not only a veteran safety, but a good one to mentor Deone Buchanan. We can give him a deal similar to Carlos Rogers and either release or have him take a paycut after two seasons. I'd rather cut Dahl. The secondary of Chris Culliver, Tramaine Brock, Kyle Fuller, Eric Reid, and Donte Whitner could be very formidable. 2013 was the best year for our secondary under Jim Harbaugh and I'd like to keep that going and not do a full makeup just yet.

Overall I do like the mock draft. I love the Jordan Matthews pick, but I feel nervous about trying to get him past 30. But if we are picking in the late 30s, we should be ok. Moncrief is drafted in a perfect spot, but there is no way we can go on with Vernon Davis being our only true deep threat. We need to get a receiver with top end speed and I don't think it would be overkill if we drafted two receivers. I'd prefer either Matthews or Moncrief, along with two faster receivers. Although it would give us 7 receivers (Crabtree, Boldin, Patton, Matthews/Moncrief, Osgood, + 1 burner).

I do not see why we need to trade Kendall Hunter. I also don't think he would warrant a 4th round pick. He's a backup running back who did little in 2013. Why wouldn't a team just draft a running back if they want one? I think he can handle the load if given chance. I also would like to see LaMichael James used a little more as a slot receiver to get him onto the field more. He can replace Anthony Dixon in fulfilling multiple roles on the team. The Smith, Larsen, and Colvin picks are good and I LOVE the drafting of Dominique Easley. If done right, I can see us in a position where we wouldn't have any clear holes heading into the 2015 offseason, and that is after accounting for possible free agent departures. But in order for that to happen, we must retain Boldin, Hunter, and Whitner, which isn't as far fetched as people would like to believe.

Im glad you liked the mock.
1. Your right about Boldin but he did have a couple of key drops. Also Roman could have put receivers in motion but never did because a. The corner would just follow you and b. With the noise its hard to have an offense with a lot of shifts.
3. Its possible to keep both but not probable.
4. No way we make the same mistake twice in giving Whitner a Rogers like deal. If he would sign a cheap 1 year deal (I think he has 1 great season left in him) that would be great but I don't see him doing that. If Balke overpays Whitner it is going to be a big mistake.
I don't know much about these college players but I don't like that you're willing to part w/ Boldin.
We must keep Boldin, Dawson, and hopefully Whitner (at the right price)
Two WRs we could draft late who fit the fast burner type but not physical:
  1. L'DAMIAN WASHINGTON 6-4 205 4.39 40 time
  2. JEFF JANIS 6-2 212 4.36 40 time