LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 246 users in the forums

LaMarcus Joyner-CB/S-FSU

Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I'm hoping we can trade out of pick 30 and pick up a high 2nd and 3rd/or 4th and late pick. At that position we would be able to get Joyner, who I think could start immediately, and we'd still have two second round picks (Kansas City's and our original) to pick up Matthews or Landry.

It's a risk/reward thing to me. Depending on free agency, we'll only really have 1-2 starter roles to fill (strong safety and/or a corner position depending on whether Culliver plays outside or nickel). So the question becomes: Is the risk of trading back and missing out on a guy like Joyner (who could fill either role REALLY well) worth it? Given we already have multiple picks in both the 2nd and 3rd, and only a handful of legit roster spots, I'm just not sure about the payoff.

Plus, it doesn't fit the 49ers modus operandi. If this front office sees a guy they like and he fills a big need, they don't hesitate to pull the trigger. They'll either overdraft their guy (whatever that means) or they'll move up to get him. They're not really known for hanging back and hoping the guy they like falls to them.

So if they really like Joyner (which is a big if) and they need a safety/nickel corner, I highly doubt they trade back to squeeze more value out of the pick.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Feb 13, 2014 at 1:29 PM ]
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I'm hoping we can trade out of pick 30 and pick up a high 2nd and 3rd/or 4th and late pick. At that position we would be able to get Joyner, who I think could start immediately, and we'd still have two second round picks (Kansas City's and our original) to pick up Matthews or Landry.

It's a risk/reward thing to me. Depending on free agency, we'll only really have 1-2 starter roles to fill (strong safety and/or a corner position depending on whether Culliver plays outside or nickel). So the question becomes: Is the risk of trading back and missing out on a guy like Joyner (who could fill either role REALLY well) worth it? Given we already have multiple picks in both the 2nd and 3rd, and only a handful of legit roster spots, I'm just not sure about the payoff.

Plus, it doesn't fit the 49ers modus operandi. If this front office sees a guy they like and he fills a big need, they don't hesitate to pull the trigger. They'll either overdraft their guy (whatever that means) or they'll move up to get him. They're not really known for hanging back and hoping the guy they like falls to them.

So if they really like Joyner (which is a big if) and they need a safety/nickel corner, I highly doubt they trade back to squeeze more value out of the pick.

agreed with that fully.
Not a real fan of this guy, his size really concerns me.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

He's less than an inch shorter than Mathieu, less than 2 inches shorter than Earl Thomas. What's so concerning?
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
doesn't look perfect, but he's a PLAYER.

joyner & calvin pryor would be nice; they're a couple lead pipes.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

He's less than an inch shorter than Mathieu, less than 2 inches shorter than Earl Thomas. What's so concerning?

Him getting run over by bigger backs and being too short to contest passes to bigger recievers. Dude is very tiny.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Him getting run over by bigger backs and being too short to contest passes to bigger recievers. Dude is very tiny.

He is not tall but he isn´t tiny either. 195 lbs. With very long arms.
[ Edited by DeUh on Feb 15, 2014 at 5:05 PM ]

Tiny? He weighs close to 200 pounds.
I think he'd be great to roll the dice on. The real question is what round. Id like to see the Niners draft 3 DB. Possible trade up for a potential #1 CB, a safety, and at least one additional player. But Id be surprised if Joyner lasted long enough to be that option.
Seems like a more athletic Bob Sanders.

Originally posted by Butter:
I think he'd be great to roll the dice on. The real question is what round. Id like to see the Niners draft 3 DB. Possible trade up for a potential #1 CB, a safety, and at least one additional player. But Id be surprised if Joyner lasted long enough to be that option.

Personally I think a slot corner is a bigger need then a guy on the outside, with Culliver, Brock and potentially Wright available to man those spots. If Joyner could handle the slot corner and play on special teams, he'd be of tremendous value to this team, add a cornerback to develop to potentially take over as a starter, maybe Colvin later on in the draft as well as a safety and the 49ers would be good to go.
Originally posted by Butter:

Personally I think a slot corner is a bigger need then a guy on the outside, with Culliver, Brock and potentially Wright available to man those spots. If Joyner could handle the slot corner and play on special teams, he'd be of tremendous value to this team, add a cornerback to develop to potentially take over as a starter, maybe Colvin later on in the draft as well as a safety and the 49ers would be good to go.

Could be. Itd be great to have a good slot CB to match up against Austin or Tate. The CB talent seams a bit weak this year. The Niners have had success drafting project CB in the past. But I think a move up to nab Denard or Gilbert is pretty possible.

Tiny? He weighs close to 200 pounds.

Maybe I shoulda been clearer, he is very short...very short. I got nothing against his skills, just wonder if taller guys will eat him up or run him over.
Maybe I shoulda been clearer, he is very short...very short. I got nothing against his skills, just wonder if taller guys will eat him up or run him over.

Do tall guys eat up Earl Thomas or Mathieu or several other shorter defensive backs? Generally the biggest issue with smaller guys is that they are built very light, almost frail, guys weighing in at 170, 180 pounds. Joyner has a very thick, solid build and plays like he's about 6'2" and 225, I don't foresee any issues with him being able to stop the run or stick with most receivers. As far as TE's go, that's what you have safeties for.

As a slot corner, why would his height be a major hindrance?
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 15, 2014 at 10:24 PM ]
I don't doubt Joyner's a baller...but at 5-8 he'll be challenged every week in the NFL against considerably bigger receivers. That's one of the knocks on Whitner...nobody questions his toughness, but is Joyner's enough to succeed coming out of college. I'd like to see our secondary get bigger...for obvious reasons.
Share 49ersWebzone