LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 207 users in the forums

Stanley Jean-Baptiste CB Nebraska

Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by Harbaalke:
Originally posted by Kes8514:
Originally posted by buck:
Something to consider: a cautionary note,--maybe, perhaps--not really sure.

Jean-Baptiste got 3 of his interceptions and 4 of his passes broken up against the three teams on the Nebraska schedule that were not in the Big Ten or the SEC.

South Dakota St which went 9-5 and was 47th in the FCS in passing efficiency

Wyoming which went 5-7 and was the 41st in the FBS in passing efficiency

So Mississippi which went 1-11 and was the 108th in the FBS in passing efficiency

I hope for him that turns out to be the player that you think he will be.

If he does, it would be nice if we picked him up.

This is true. He started off the year on fire.

His size can't be ignored. I think that's where the potential is. He's going to have some growing pains, but the potential is sky high IMO.

Why I like him as a 49er because he is a fit, INTs are not an issue in my mind. He fits cause he plays the run, is physical, tackles and hits a total package what I believe he 49ers like in a defender

I hope for him that he turns out to be the player that you think he can be.

If he does, it would be nice for him to be a 49er.

So do I bro he got room to develop Not a finished product but great potential
Originally posted by Harbaalke:
Why I like him as a 49er because he is a fit, INTs are not an issue in my mind. He fits cause he plays the run, is physical, tackles and hits a total package what I believe he 49ers like in a defender

He's physical. But needs to work on his tackling in open space. I saw several games where this was an issue. No reason to believe he won't improve, however.

Oh No doubt but remember he was a WR converted into a DB still has room to develop but love his potential
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
We need a Richard Sherman type. Taller is better. I don't want anymore short CB's.

There's as much downside to taller CB's as there is upside. You end up with guys who aren't as flexible at the hips generally, not able to move as well laterally, height isn't always better. Seattle makes it work because they use a lot semi-illegal tactics, holding the s**t out of people....etc. If the NFL happens to crack down on that, you'd see a middle of the road secondary with Thomas as the only elite player.

Height and length help, but getting a guy just because he's big doesn't make a lot of sense at all.

This and a little more this
Based on what many of you are saying that he needs a fair amount of improvement - Is he worth a high 2nd?
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Based on what many of you are saying that he needs a fair amount of improvement - Is he worth a high 2nd?

Unless he has a lights out combine, he'll be a low 3rd, most likely.
Originally posted by Beeker:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

Unless he has a lights out combine, he'll be a low 3rd, most likely.

Matt Miller ‏@nfldraftscout Jan 21

Liked Stanley Jean-Baptiste's film quite a bit. Issue was how athletic/fluid he was. This week he's shown well. Rd 1 pick wouldn't surprise
[ Edited by Harbaalke on Feb 1, 2014 at 10:33 AM ]
This guys stock just rose a little with that performance by the Seahawks defense.

Big, Physical, DB's are going to be all the rage in the NFL.
I don't know what y'all see in this guy, he's not a good cover corner and he can't TACKLE.
This guys stock just rose a little with that performance by the Seahawks defense.

Big, Physical, DB's are going to be all the rage in the NFL.

Does he have dreadlocks and a really big mouth?
I don't think Jean-Baptiste will make it the first round right now. We'll see after the combine. Right now he's a solid 2nd-3rd round prospect I'd say.

Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I don't think Jean-Baptiste will make it the first round right now. We'll see after the combine. Right now he's a solid 2nd-3rd round prospect I'd say.

this. and IMO, i don't see him as a Sherman-clone, either. i see him more as a Browner-clone, a little more stiff in the hips.
Originally posted by LaMichaelJeff:

this. and IMO, i don't see him as a Sherman-clone, either. i see him more as a Browner-clone, a little more stiff in the hips.

They said the same thing about Sherman:

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/richard-sherman?id=2495507

Sherman is a size prospect with some good intangibles that will help him mold into a contributing backup corner for a press-heavy team. However, he does not possess the natural coverage instincts, fluidity or burst to be considered a future starter. Is comfortable and capable in press man, using his size to disrupt receivers' releases off the line, but doesn't show enough make up speed to consistently recover when beaten. Awareness in zone and off-man are only adequate. Has average ball skills but some upside as a playmaker. Tough against the run but still developing from a technical standpoint. Sherman is a Day 3 prospect.

Weaknesses: Can be baited out of position when in zone and a tick late to diagnose underneath routes. Tall, high-cut prospect who displays some hip-stiffness. Not explosive when transitioning or when changing direction. Lacks great recovery skills when beaten off the line. Can struggle tacking in the open field at times.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/draft/2011/round/5/pick/23

Athletic ability: He is a good athlete with quick feet, but definite tightness in his hips in transition. He is more choppy than smooth in his movement. He has good closing ability on plays in front of him and maintains a good cushion and body position on plays downfield. He shows great timing and tracking ability to consistently win the jump-ball situations in tight coverage downfield. He is a good overall athlete with good long speed and quickness as a CB prospect right now. However, he has some definite hip tightness and choppy transition skills.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by LaMichaelJeff:

They said the same thing about Sherman:

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/richard-sherman?id=2495507

Sherman is a size prospect with some good intangibles that will help him mold into a contributing backup corner for a press-heavy team. However, he does not possess the natural coverage instincts, fluidity or burst to be considered a future starter. Is comfortable and capable in press man, using his size to disrupt receivers' releases off the line, but doesn't show enough make up speed to consistently recover when beaten. Awareness in zone and off-man are only adequate. Has average ball skills but some upside as a playmaker. Tough against the run but still developing from a technical standpoint. Sherman is a Day 3 prospect.

Weaknesses: Can be baited out of position when in zone and a tick late to diagnose underneath routes. Tall, high-cut prospect who displays some hip-stiffness. Not explosive when transitioning or when changing direction. Lacks great recovery skills when beaten off the line. Can struggle tacking in the open field at times.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/draft/2011/round/5/pick/23

Athletic ability: He is a good athlete with quick feet, but definite tightness in his hips in transition. He is more choppy than smooth in his movement. He has good closing ability on plays in front of him and maintains a good cushion and body position on plays downfield. He shows great timing and tracking ability to consistently win the jump-ball situations in tight coverage downfield. He is a good overall athlete with good long speed and quickness as a CB prospect right now. However, he has some definite hip tightness and choppy transition skills.

They were sure wrong about him. LOL. Should have been a top 5 pick instead of 5th rounder.
  • buck
  • Veteran
I favor taking Stanley Jean-Baptiste and/or Pierre Desir on Day 2 (2nd and 3rd rounds).

I do not think that we should trade up for a cornerback.

Even though Bradley Roby was inconsistent this year, he might be a good pick-up, if he is till available in the third round.

I say this because I think Donatell is a good coach and capable of getting Roby to play up to his potential.

But, who knows....
I wouldn't be shocked at all if Seattle traded back a little and grabbed SJB in the 2nd. They really feel like they can coach-up these big, athletic DBs and make them effective in their system, and so far it's worked.
Share 49ersWebzone