There are 190 users in the forums

Stanley Jean-Baptiste CB Nebraska

I believe this Kid has to be a 49er next season an extraordinary CB not heard of but great talent. Plays LCB/RCB and the slot getting compared to Sherman but he is all around much better imo the kid hits like a safety, covers any side, tackles becoming a big fan of his

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000315914/article/stanley-jeanbaptiste-draws-richard-sherman-comparison
Yea i like him a lot too. But you can't say a guy who has yet to play a down in the league better than Sherman.
When is he expected to be drafted?
I was wondering when someone was going to finally make a thread about him. The media hype machine has struck!
Originally posted by theginz2004:
When is he expected to be drafted?

I was thinking late 3rd early 4th.
Top 50 pick as of now the experts say but with good combine # he could sneak in the late 1st round
top 50? Dam i didn't think he moved up that high.
We need a Richard Sherman type. Taller is better. I don't want anymore short CB's.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
We need a Richard Sherman type. Taller is better. I don't want anymore short CB's.

There's as much downside to taller CB's as there is upside. You end up with guys who aren't as flexible at the hips generally, not able to move as well laterally, height isn't always better. Seattle makes it work because they use a lot semi-illegal tactics, holding the s**t out of people....etc. If the NFL happens to crack down on that, you'd see a middle of the road secondary with Thomas as the only elite player.

Height and length help, but getting a guy just because he's big doesn't make a lot of sense at all.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 24, 2014 at 2:03 PM ]
Originally posted by lamontb:
top 50? Dam i didn't think he moved up that high.

Yes sir he is creating quite a buzz and sure is deserving the Kid does it all at 6'2" 215

The thing with all these big CB's such as Baptiste, who I think is a bit stiff, Desir and McGill is that they are very raw. Baptiste especially, as a former receiver, needs work. I think any of them could fit in Seattle's "bash and grab" style of defense but would be exposed on other defense's if teams tried to make them starters too early. McGill is my favorite out of that group because I think he has the biggest upside, he's a guy who looked like a 3rd to 4th rounder all season long, Desir and Baptiste are bigger beneficiaries of this push for bigger cornerback's currently. None of them should be looked at as instant starters, but guys you work into the system and plan to make them a starter a year or two down the road.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 24, 2014 at 2:08 PM ]
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
I love this kid too. Good eye Harbaalke! I have him in the Top 100 (#77 to be exact) but with a good combine performance, he will rise. We should definitely consider him with one of our 2nd round picks.

(I grabbed him in the 4th Round using that Draft Simulator someone posted the other day..haha)
Originally posted by SaksV:
I love this kid too. Good eye Harbaalke! I have him in the Top 100 (#77 to be exact) but with a good combine performance, he will rise. We should definitely consider him with one of our 2nd round picks.

(I grabbed him in the 4th Round using that Draft Simulator someone posted the other day..haha)

Jean-Baptiste said he already has been interviewed by the Saints, Falcons, Dolphins, Bears, Packers and 49ers, among other clubs.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

There's as much downside to taller CB's as there is upside. You end up with guys who aren't as flexible at the hips generally, not able to move as well laterally, height isn't always better. Seattle makes it work because they use a lot semi-illegal tactics, holding the s**t out of people....etc. If the NFL happens to crack down on that, you'd see a middle of the road secondary with Thomas as the only elite player.

Height and length help, but getting a guy just because he's big doesn't make a lot of sense at all.

no point in discussing draft prospects with him. i've given up after last year.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
The thing with all these big CB's such as Baptiste, who I think is a bit stiff, Desir and McGill is that they are very raw. Baptiste especially, as a former receiver, needs work. I think any of them could fit in Seattle's "bash and grab" style of defense but would be exposed on other defense's if teams tried to make them starters too early. McGill is my favorite out of that group because I think he has the biggest upside, he's a guy who looked like a 3rd to 4th rounder all season long, Desir and Baptiste are bigger beneficiaries of this push for bigger cornerback's currently. None of them should be looked at as instant starters, but guys you work into the system and plan to make them a starter a year or two down the road.

I understand NOT everyone is a fan of his but McGill does NOT play physical enough for his size maybe as a later pick I would agree but Jean Baptiste can start day 1 imo
Share 49ersWebzone