There are 154 users in the forums

MBA's Mock draft ver 2.0 Senior Bowl week

After the end of our season, here we go with another mock. This is based on CBS Sports draft rankings as of 1/23/14 and no trades.

Round 1 Jason Verrett CB TCU 5'10" 176 lbs - Carlos Rogers is history and we need a slot corner in the worst way
Round 2a Davante Adams WR Fresno St 6'2" 216 lbs - need a big WR who can stretch the field; would be Jordan Matthews ideally but he may not be here.
Round 2b Deone Buchanan SS Washington St 6'1" 216 lbs - replacement for Whitner
Round 3a Jeremiah Attaochu OLB Georgia Tech 6'3" 252 lbs - pass rusher who has been taking reps at ILB during Senior Bowl workouts
Round 3b Keith McGill CB 6'3" 214 lbs - big bodied press corner to complete our secondary and replace T. Brown
Round 3c Robert Herron Wyoming 5'9" 193 lbs - we need someone to add quickness and burst at WR (Comp pick)
Round 4 Dominique Easley DT Florida 6'2" 285 lbs - depth on the d-line
Round 5 Brett Smith QB Wyoming 6'2" 206 lbs - our 3rd QB which is sorely needed; probably came out a year too early
Round 6 Cameron Fleming OT Stanford 6'6" 318 lbs - swing OT
Round 7 Spencer Long OG Nebraska 6'4" 315 lbs - Baalke injury special; depth for interior line
Round 7a Tyler Starr OLB South Dakota 6'4" 249 lbs - showed well at East-West game; depth at OLB
Round 7b Trey Millard FB Oklahoma 6'2" 253 lbs - Swiss Army Knife FB, Blocker, TE; another Baalke injury special
Round 7c Jonathan Dowling DB Western Kentucky 6'2" 198 lbs - secondary depth or PS candidate

Your thoughts.....................
[ Edited by m_brockalexander on Jan 23, 2014 at 8:29 PM ]
This draft is a home run.
If the draft were to end up like this, I'd be pretty happy.
I like. Also, I want a quick return man alike a Lamichael or DeAnthony. I like Dri Archer. LJ hasn't returned one and I think we need more big play production on returns. I would actually like to see D.A.T to be a 49er around 4-5th round. I think he would be the spark the ST needs. Also, I want an either bigger WR for red zone and mismatch problems; preferably a Kelvin Benjamin or Moncrief. But if we go for speedy, one missed tackle and gone type of guy, I like Beckham from LSU. I like your cornerback choice. I like Gilbert too. I'm excited about our future!
I like this draft a lot.

I was gonna say Dowling in the 7th? But man, I must be too high on him and Tre Boston. CBS has them as 7-FA round.
I'd be cool with this.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
I'm scared of taking a slot corner so early, I have flashbacks of Kyle Wilson going 29th to the Jets and just sucking it up. Would much rather take a slot specific corner at a more reasonable value/need/talent spot like the late 2nd early 3rd. IMO if we go corner in the first we need to get Gilbert, Roberson or Purifoy before Verrett.

Everything else is amazing.

Brett Smith will be a steal for some team, he made the best call by leaving when he did, his HC was fired and they hired North Dakota State's HC to replace him. Learning a new system and playing for an FCS coach(even if it is an "elite" FCS school) would probably be more negative than a positive.
I like this draft. I have seen more than few mocks with the Niners selecting Deone Buchannon. I really like him, he is a local guy that can run and loves to hit., has good ball skills. This is the whitner replacement, bigger and faster.
Originally posted by sfout:
I'm scared of taking a slot corner so early, I have flashbacks of Kyle Wilson going 29th to the Jets and just sucking it up. Would much rather take a slot specific corner at a more reasonable value/need/talent spot like the late 2nd early 3rd. IMO if we go corner in the first we need to get Gilbert, Roberson or Purifoy before Verrett.

Brett Smith will be a steal for some team, he made the best call by leaving when he did, his HC was fired and they hired North Dakota State's HC to replace him. Learning a new system and playing for an FCS coach(even if it is an "elite" FCS school) would probably be more negative than a positive.

I think the "slot corner" label is a little misleading here. Verrett gets that label because of his size, but the guy can play outside, too. His cover ability and ball skills would translate outside as well.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Originally posted by sfout:

I think the "slot corner" label is a little misleading here. Verrett gets that label because of his size, but the guy can play outside, too. His cover ability and ball skills would translate outside as well.

yea but since he skipped the senior bowl my fears about the usual height/weight exaggerations haven't been put to rest quite yet. Listed at 5'10" 176 -- that is some scary s**t -- he could be 5'9' 170. Has he played against NFL quality pass catchers on a routine basis? I stopped watching TCU awhile ago so I'm not trying to judge him though.

• Ruhl
  • Veteran
I'm not a big fan of McGill's tape on draftbreakdown, and Verrett in the first is a little scary for me, but I like the rest of the draft.
Bucannon is a terrible run defender. I'd be very nervous.
Really like it.

McGill is going to be a star.

Also, since only so many draft pick can make our loaded roster I really like getting another 2 injured very high potential guys to sit and learn our system. Very goo and long article about Tank & Lattimore - hell it's a long off season and something to read.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1934948-carradine-lattimore-should-be-ready-to-play-in-2014-after-redshirt-season?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=san-francisco-49ers

This would be a very solid draft.
I'd think Harbaalke would want a bigger CB than Verret...at 176 lbs he could get crushed trying to tackle huge receivers, RB's, etc. Guys like Ekpre-Olumu, Kyle Fuller, Purifoy would seem to have better chances of dealing with what they'll face in the NFL. I see you've tapped McGill, a big CB, so that's good. I like Adams, but I'd hope Baalke would grab Benjamin if he could...would mean trading up in the 1st rd, but he's not shy about going after a player he & Harbaugh like. Love the Buchanan pick. Overall, a good mock. I think Baalke will trade quite a bit, given he'll have 12 or 13 picks. FWIW, Matt Maiocco said we'd end up w/12 (includes comp pick).
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
I'd think Harbaalke would want a bigger CB than Verret...at 176 lbs he could get crushed trying to tackle huge receivers, RB's, etc. Guys like Ekpre-Olumu, Kyle Fuller, Purifoy would seem to have better chances of dealing with what they'll face in the NFL. I see you've tapped McGill, a big CB, so that's good. I like Adams, but I'd hope Baalke would grab Benjamin if he could...would mean trading up in the 1st rd, but he's not shy about going after a player he & Harbaugh like. Love the Buchanan pick. Overall, a good mock. I think Baalke will trade quite a bit, given he'll have 12 or 13 picks. FWIW, Matt Maiocco said we'd end up w/12 (includes comp pick).

All good points and I originally thought the same thing about the Niners DB preference. But it's all about value and where the Niners are picking. Verrett has got some serious game and he would be a great pickup at the #30 slot if the Niners stand pat. Adams again would be the pick at # 56 based on guys like Benjamin and Jordan Matthews being gone late in the first or early in the second. Thanks for the feedback.
Share 49ersWebzone