LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 328 users in the forums

First 2014 Draft

Originally posted by communist:
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
Do you think we need any Oline help? How about CBs and LBs?
Oline I dont know. It depends on the evaluation of Kilgore (Center or Guard) and Looney (Guard) by our staff.

CB is definitevily a need given that Wright, Cox and Brown will be FAs. Given that Cully could be back at the level of 2012, we need at least one CB to groom behind these two and throw him in as nickel CB. The 4th CB could come from FA. Furthermore, I would try to get Colvin in the 6th round and redshirt him.

Contrary to some other people on this board, I do not see any need at our LB-corps at all. For NOW, we got Brooks, Aldon, Skuta, Lemonier and perhaps Fleming at OLB. At ILB we have got Willis, Wilhoite, Moody and perhaps Bowman. The only reason I would see the Niners go after an ILB early is to get rid of one of our stellar ILBs in the near future.

I would not see the Front Office trying to get rid of one but to get one to be a backup, a quality backup, at a low price. They have an awful lot of money tied up in Willis and Bowman. If Bowman comes back healthy and at the same speed we are tight, if not then we need quality backup. So if they can get a draft pick to keep the quality high then we are covered and one of our other backups will be released. But whether they do it or not remains to be seen for they might think they already have enough backups already. I just believe that this will be one of the picks and I put one in the draft. Whether it is the right one remains to be seen. Thanks for the feedback.
I will cover for the first six rounds and leave the 7th round to Baalke.

1. Justin Gilbert CB/KR Trade a 3rd to move up to 18-20

2. Odell Beckam WR

2. Jarvis Landry WR

3. Craig Loston SS

3. Traded to get Gilbert

3. Jimmy Garopollo QB

4. Marion Grice RB

5. Mike Davis WR

6. Tyler Larson Center

Just my ten cents of a draft in preparation for the combine.

Seems more likely, and still fairly attractive
Do you think we need any Oline help? How about CBs and LBs?
Oline I dont know. It depends on the evaluation of Kilgore (Center or Guard) and Looney (Guard) by our staff.

CB is definitevily a need given that Wright, Cox and Brown will be FAs. Given that Cully could be back at the level of 2012, we need at least one CB to groom behind these two and throw him in as nickel CB. The 4th CB could come from FA. Furthermore, I would try to get Colvin in the 6th round and redshirt him.

Contrary to some other people on this board, I do not see any need at our LB-corps at all. For NOW, we got Brooks, Aldon, Skuta, Lemonier and perhaps Fleming at OLB. At ILB we have got Willis, Wilhoite, Moody and perhaps Bowman. The only reason I would see the Niners go after an ILB early is to get rid of one of our stellar ILBs in the near future.

And Marquadt (if healthy) and Bykowski @ swing tackle.

FA will let us know well ahead of the draft where this is heading. If the CB market is as dead this year as it was last year, we could get Cox and Brown back. Wright is history. Coaches have seen his lady parts.

Agree on LBs. Skuta and Brooks were both ILBs before arriving here, and can play there in an emergency. Wilhoite is an ERFA, and will be back. Moody is cheap and talented, and was getting good reviews from Willis in TC. Lemonier will have an offseason with the Smiths, learning to turn speed into power. I think we're good here.
I would not see the Front Office trying to get rid of one but to get one to be a backup, a quality backup, at a low price. They have an awful lot of money tied up in Willis and Bowman. If Bowman comes back healthy and at the same speed we are tight, if not then we need quality backup. So if they can get a draft pick to keep the quality high then we are covered and one of our other backups will be released. But whether they do it or not remains to be seen for they might think they already have enough backups already. I just believe that this will be one of the picks and I put one in the draft. Whether it is the right one remains to be seen. Thanks for the feedback.
IF and only IF Bowman or his doctors signal that the recovery is behind the timetable, Baalke will go for another ILB high. Even then, I think picking high means going for one in the 3rd round and not earlier.

EDIT: forget about this post plz. Next post is relevant.
[ Edited by communist on Jan 28, 2014 at 5:29 PM ]
Originally posted by WRATHman44:

FA will let us know well ahead of the draft where this is heading. If the CB market is as dead this year as it was last year, we could get Cox and Brown back. Wright is history. Coaches have seen his lady parts.

Agree on LBs. Skuta and Brooks were both ILBs before arriving here, and can play there in an emergency. Wilhoite is an ERFA, and will be back. Moody is cheap and talented, and was getting good reviews from Willis in TC. Lemonier will have an offseason with the Smiths, learning to turn speed into power. I think we're good here.
BOTH of them did? Didn't know that. Only heard this about Skuta, though only as a rumor...even better. We could even disguise our defensive playcalls a little bit if we start rotating these guys around.

Thx to these facts, officially I think that we won't do s**t at LB unless a guy with huge talent is free-falling into our leaps.
If we have the players in camp to help that will be great. I agree with the OLBs. Anyone have any thoughts about Kony Ealy from Missouri? Would he be a good OLB. So it looks like we are sort of back to WRs, CBs, and potentially a backup Center.
Originally posted by adrenaline:
Personally, I think we'll take at least one G or C in the first three rounds. But you have all the skill positions covered.

This I wouldnt care if we used our 1st, Oline is always essential

Does anyone think that Devante Adams would be a Good pick for the 49ers and He is also a Bay Area Guy
Originally posted by WRATHman44:

BOTH of them did? Didn't know that. Only heard this about Skuta, though only as a rumor...even better. We could even disguise our defensive playcalls a little bit if we start rotating these guys around.

Thx to these facts, officially I think that we won't do s**t at LB unless a guy with huge talent is free-falling into our leaps.

Yup, both with the Bengals, IIRC. Cinci did a great job retaining that talent, lol.
Wouldn't it be nice. We will see. Don't want to spend a 2nd round pick on an ILB. We can start Wilhoite, he's played well for us , till Bowman is healthy and draft a player later for depth or even sign a veteran to a 1 yr deal. We need more than that from a 2nd rounder. Maybe a top DT or another WR or CB or SS there would be better. Replace your 3rd round QB with a Center and don't want to draft a RB in the fourth. We have Gore, Hunter, James and now Lattimore.

Do we want our #2 QB to be a rookie? I would rather have a veteran unless someone to good to pass up drops to the 4-5 round range. If we draft a QB and he is any good he will ride the pines and be gone in 4 years to FA. Probably better to resign McCoy or a different veteran to do the job.

we have the best two ILBs in the game and you want to use a 2nd rounder on another? Yea bowman might miss the first 5 games but it would be a better value to resign Wilhiotte and let him take bowman's place for the time being.
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
Wouldn't it be nice. We will see. Don't want to spend a 2nd round pick on an ILB. We can start Wilhoite, he's played well for us , till Bowman is healthy and draft a player later for depth or even sign a veteran to a 1 yr deal. We need more than that from a 2nd rounder. Maybe a top DT or another WR or CB or SS there would be better. Replace your 3rd round QB with a Center and don't want to draft a RB in the fourth. We have Gore, Hunter, James and now Lattimore.

Do we want our #2 QB to be a rookie? I would rather have a veteran unless someone to good to pass up drops to the 4-5 round range. If we draft a QB and he is any good he will ride the pines and be gone in 4 years to FA. Probably better to resign McCoy or a different veteran to do the job.

I agree. Better to have a vet as the back-up QB as opposed to a rookie

I would still however draft 2 QB's.

Injured Aaron Murray in the 5th and stash him on the NFI list.

And another QB in the 7th round that you can stash on the practice squad. Not sure if McBLT still has practice squad eligibility after this year.
Share 49ersWebzone