LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 282 users in the forums

First 2014 Draft

In my opinion between age (Willis) and injury (Bowman) we are now weak at ILB. We have Wilhoite, Fleming, Skuta, and Moody as our backups. I believe that ILB will be a draft pick this year. That is my personal opinion and we will see on draft day if I am correct. So I chose to pick a ILB in the second round because I want a good one. Whether Skov is a good one or not is up to Baalke and co. But somewhere in rounds 1-4 they will get one in my opinion.
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
In my opinion between age (Willis) and injury (Bowman) we are now weak at ILB. We have Wilhoite, Fleming, Skuta, and Moody as our backups. I believe that ILB will be a draft pick this year. That is my personal opinion and we will see on draft day if I am correct. So I chose to pick a ILB in the second round because I want a good one. Whether Skov is a good one or not is up to Baalke and co. But somewhere in rounds 1-4 they will get one in my opinion.

now weak?????? WTF?????? Willis is 29 and was ranked as the #2 ILB by PFF (Bow was #1), Bow will be back next year and we have high hopes for Moody and Wilholte played well last year and Skuta did as well (albeit on the outside)

look we might draft an ILB, but in the 2nd round absolutely won't happen, I would be shocked if it happened before the 4th round.
That is cool you are free to disagree or not as you see fit. I like round 2 and you want round 4. So whatever Baalke decides is good? But if you were to draft a ILB who would it be?
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Not a chance in heck. Larsen will be gone before the 5th round, Davis will be gone before the end of the 4th, Garoppolo is looking like a potential late 1st rounder, he's definitely secured 2nd round status. Landry won't fall that far, Loston would be good value and its certainly possible with other prospects getting more attention. Skov is a reach in the 2nd round, great skills, but I see him more as a late 3rd rounder. Beckham is good value at that spot, probably won't fall that far. Gilbert will be gone somewhere before the 20th pick in the draft I believe.
Unfortunately this but I give you credit that you adressed our need for a fast WR :)
I wanted to get a variety of receivers in for training camp and let TC sort out the team. Thanks for the feedback.
I DO want a variety of receiver types independent of TC or any other stuff because EVERY team, incl. us, should have at least two different types of receivers. If we are talking about speed, there is only Patton who falls in this category.
Thank you for your feedback. I wouldn't be surprised if the Niners pick up an injured player or two but I think they also have a lot of needs coming open due to FA and age. So ILB will be a spot they will pick and with Iupati and Bowman injured that will put some pressure on the draft. With Staley and Willis, and Smith getting older they will have to start looking at those positions as well. So tackle and guard and Center will all need to be looked into.

my point exactly. draft injuted OG spencer long and DT chris whaley. on our team but not on our roster. also FB trey millard and othets are appealing options
Originally posted by communist:
I DO want a variety of receiver types independent of TC or any other stuff because EVERY team, incl. us, should have at least two different types of receivers. If we are talking about speed, there is only Patton who falls in this category.

Who would you pick for WRs?
Thank you for your feedback. I wouldn't be surprised if the Niners pick up an injured player or two but I think they also have a lot of needs coming open due to FA and age. So ILB will be a spot they will pick and with Iupati and Bowman injured that will put some pressure on the draft. With Staley and Willis, and Smith getting older they will have to start looking at those positions as well. So tackle and guard and Center will all need to be looked into.

my point exactly. draft injuted OG spencer long and DT chris whaley. on our team but not on our roster. also FB trey millard and othets are appealing options
Too lop-sided w/WR's and only 1 CB. I'd substitute CB Jean-Baptiste for one of 'em...a big CB we need to match up with big WR's and TE's. I like the Loston pick, although I'd probably take Bucannon instead...more complete S, IMHO. He had twice the tackles (109), 5 picks, 3 f/f. Other than a C in rd 6 (he'll be long gone by then, anyway), no OL, no DL or pass rusher. It's almost a certainty Boldin will re-sign...still need a WR, but definitely not 3. Lastly, what matt49er said WRT ILB.

Who would you pick for WRs?
Certainly Beckham jr., Abbrederis if he REALLY is that fast (though I would pick him anyway ), Lee, perhaps Archer or Ellington.

For the other type: Matthews or Robinson would be nice. Moncrief or Bryant (at the end of the 3rd at the VERY earliest) would do it as well. Though Bryant only if we retain Boldin because I think that the guy will need a whole season until he can be very productive.
Originally posted by communist:
Certainly Beckham jr., Abbrederis if he REALLY is that fast (though I would pick him anyway ), Lee, perhaps Archer or Ellington.

For the other type: Matthews or Robinson would be nice. Moncrief or Bryant (at the end of the 3rd at the VERY earliest) would do it as well. Though Bryant only if we retain Boldin because I think that the guy will need a whole season until he can be very productive.

Do you think we need any Oline help? How about CBs and LBs?
Guys, Gilbert is not a top 10 pick. Millner was just as fast as Gilbert yet lightyears ahead of him coverage.

Gilbert has a poor jam. He's a poor tackler. Hes undisciplined in coverage. Point being he's not a starter yet so all these people acting like Gilbert anywhere outside of the top 15 is blasphemy are overrating him.

Finally I love your emphasis on LSU players. I think we pick at least one kid up from. Such a solid program top to bottom so we should tap that well.
[ Edited by eonblue on Jan 28, 2014 at 3:01 PM ]
Do you think we need any Oline help? How about CBs and LBs?
Oline I dont know. It depends on the evaluation of Kilgore (Center or Guard) and Looney (Guard) by our staff.

CB is definitevily a need given that Wright, Cox and Brown will be FAs. Given that Cully could be back at the level of 2012, we need at least one CB to groom behind these two and throw him in as nickel CB. The 4th CB could come from FA. Furthermore, I would try to get Colvin in the 6th round and redshirt him.

Contrary to some other people on this board, I do not see any need at our LB-corps at all. For NOW, we got Brooks, Aldon, Skuta, Lemonier and perhaps Fleming at OLB. At ILB we have got Willis, Wilhoite, Moody and perhaps Bowman. The only reason I would see the Niners go after an ILB early is to get rid of one of our stellar ILBs in the near future.
That is cool you are free to disagree or not as you see fit. I like round 2 and you want round 4. So whatever Baalke decides is good? But if you were to draft a ILB who would it be?

I wouldn't draft one lol
Share 49ersWebzone