There are 62 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

First 2014 Draft

I will cover for the first six rounds and leave the 7th round to Baalke.

1. Justin Gilbert CB/KR

2. Odell Beckam WR

2. Shayne Skov ILB

3. Craig Loston SS

3. Jarvis Landry WR

3. Jimmy Garopollo QB

4. Marion Grice RB

5. Mike Davis WR

6. Tyler Larson Center

Just my ten cents of a draft in preparation for the combine.
I would be pretty excited if we came away with those players. They would fill a lot of holes on our team. However, I think a few of the players are going to be selected earlier than you currently have them slotted at. I think Gilbert is going to be selected between 15-20. I know some mocked have him going latter, but after his combine he will rise up on the boards. If Baalke wants him, he will likely need to trade up for him.
It would be a miracle for us if we could take beckham at the bottom of the second and Landry at the bottom of the third. I see Larson going in the 3-4 round range.
Again, I think it would be amazing if this mock were true
The general placement comes from ABs top 240. I recognize that there will be much movement before the combine and again before the draft. I just wanted to try my hand at the process and see who I would end up picking based on my understanding of the roster as of this posting. Much will change with free agency as well.
Personally, I think we'll take at least one G or C in the first three rounds. But you have all the skill positions covered.
Thank you for your input. I thought of this as well. I then took the plunge that Kilgore and Looney were our backups and will be ready to play. We have other linemen on the PS so they might be ready to go also. Time will tell how Baalke handles the Oline.
Originally posted by Ninefan56:

1. Justin Gilbert CB/KR - WONT LAST UNTIL THE 30th PICK

2. Odell Beckam WR - Good pick but I doubt he lasts until late 2nd

2. Shayne Skov ILB - no thanks. Not going to use a 2nd rd pick on an ILB who should go later anyway

3. Craig Loston SS -Good value here. He should go around 3rd or 4th rd

3. Jarvis Landry WR - good luck with having Landry drop to end of 3rd

3. Jimmy Garopollo QB -

4. Marion Grice RB

5. Mike Davis WR - will be gone in 3rd or 4th rd. No way he lasts to 5th

6. Tyler Larson Center - I would bet money he doesnt last until 6th rd

Sorry but dont think this is realistic at all. Would be happy if it happened even close to this.. but not a chance.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

1. Justin Gilbert CB/KR - WONT LAST UNTIL THE 30th PICK

2. Odell Beckam WR - Good pick but I doubt he lasts until late 2nd

2. Shayne Skov ILB - no thanks. Not going to use a 2nd rd pick on an ILB who should go later anyway

3. Craig Loston SS -Good value here. He should go around 3rd or 4th rd

3. Jarvis Landry WR - good luck with having Landry drop to end of 3rd

3. Jimmy Garopollo QB -

4. Marion Grice RB

5. Mike Davis WR - will be gone in 3rd or 4th rd. No way he lasts to 5th

6. Tyler Larson Center - I would bet money he doesnt last until 6th rd

Sorry but dont think this is realistic at all. Would be happy if it happened even close to this.. but not a chance.

Gilbert is a top 10 prospect Not realistic
Not a chance in heck. Larsen will be gone before the 5th round, Davis will be gone before the end of the 4th, Garoppolo is looking like a potential late 1st rounder, he's definitely secured 2nd round status. Landry won't fall that far, Loston would be good value and its certainly possible with other prospects getting more attention. Skov is a reach in the 2nd round, great skills, but I see him more as a late 3rd rounder. Beckham is good value at that spot, probably won't fall that far. Gilbert will be gone somewhere before the 20th pick in the draft I believe.
Phoenix - I don't doubt that much of what you have said will be accurate. This was my draft using ABs top 240 list. I recognize much will change between now and the combine and then from then to the draft. Also, our FA issues will be clearer by then and our draft needs will be clearer also. Just wanted to get a few thoughts on the board for interactions sake. Thanks for the feedback.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Not a chance in heck. Larsen will be gone before the 5th round, Davis will be gone before the end of the 4th, Garoppolo is looking like a potential late 1st rounder, he's definitely secured 2nd round status. Landry won't fall that far, Loston would be good value and its certainly possible with other prospects getting more attention. Skov is a reach in the 2nd round, great skills, but I see him more as a late 3rd rounder. Beckham is good value at that spot, probably won't fall that far. Gilbert will be gone somewhere before the 20th pick in the draft I believe.

I guess great minds think alike. Pretty much exactly my points above as well.
Phoenix - I don't doubt that much of what you have said will be accurate. This was my draft using ABs top 240 list. I recognize much will change between now and the combine and then from then to the draft. Also, our FA issues will be clearer by then and our draft needs will be clearer also. Just wanted to get a few thoughts on the board for interactions sake. Thanks for the feedback.

No prob, this stuff is changing so rapidly now, it seems like an almost everyday variation depending on whats going on with various offseason events. Inevitably some of these guys won't match the hype and people who are being predicted 2nd and 3rd rounders will end up to be 4th and 5th rounders and vice versa, its hard to get a good gauge on what is going on with teams putting out so much BS but I do feel strongly about a guy like Garoppolo, its hard to fake the internet in him as he looks like a very good QB prospect who has been playing the offseason like a pro thus far.
It will be interesting to see if Baalke seeks a substantial backup for Kaep or a pretend one like Colt McCoy? We will also need WRs and now that Vernon and Willis, McDonald, and J. Smith are getting "old" they will need to focus on replacements in the near future. Hopefully Lattimore, and Carradine will turn out to be realistic replacements in 1 more year. So I am excited for this years draft especially with the CBs and WRs. I put Grice in my draft to just signal we need a banger along with Lattimore to balance out our RBs.
Nice mock but with 12 picks, and 5 redshirts from 2013 (Tank, Dial, Okoye, Marquardt and Lattimore). I think any mock has to include some injured 2014 "draft and stash" players relegated to the NFI list. QB's: Mettenberger or Aaron Murray, CB Aaron Colvin, DE Dominque Easley, H-back Trey Millard and there are also a few lineman but not sure the extent of their injuries.

IMHO I see injured players Aaron Murray, Aaron Colvin and Trey Millard as no brainer picks for the 49ers. Not only are they injured, but they fill future 49er needs and fit the criteria the 49ers look for at their respective positions in which they play. Shocked if the 49ers don't pick them.

I think having these guys for 1 year learning the system, work habits and culture of the 49ers is a valuable tool and will make their transition to the team much easier.
Thank you for your feedback. I wouldn't be surprised if the Niners pick up an injured player or two but I think they also have a lot of needs coming open due to FA and age. So ILB will be a spot they will pick and with Iupati and Bowman injured that will put some pressure on the draft. With Staley and Willis, and Smith getting older they will have to start looking at those positions as well. So tackle and guard and Center will all need to be looked into.
I don't understand an ILB in the 2nd round....we have needs at WR, CB and potentially SS, C and in the near future potentially LG if Iupati leaves plus we need a backup QB. We have the 2 best ILBs in the business and a pretty good backup in Wilholte whom we should resign and Skuta who played ILB his entire career b4 this year. Bow may miss some time but he'll play in 2014, no need to spend a pick that high on somebody who will otherwise sit on the bench and play ST.