There are 128 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Kareem Martin - DE/OLB NC

Caught my attention during the weigh in. These are the things that stood out to me:

+massive wingspan (84.25" !)
+size to drop some weight and play OLB or gain some and play DE (similar size to Carradine coming out)
+length. Not just the wingspan, but also 6'6" stature
+bats down passes consistently. (3,3,6,1) from (sr,jr,sph,fr) years
+great stats - sr: 11.5 sacks, 21.5 tfl, 14.5 qb hurries, 3ff jr: 4/15.5/8/1 sph: 4/7/5
+stats show consistency and consistent improvement
+school pedigree

Currently holds about a 3rd round grade, and likely a mid-late 3rd round. Of course, he could rise

adding a highlight clip https
[ Edited by RollinWith21n52 on Jan 27, 2014 at 11:53 PM ]
How about this guy in the second or third. Very similar measurables to Aldon. 35" arms. 4.72 40. 11.5 sacks last year. Was very durable and productive in college. Was a team captain and is suppose to be a high character guy. Would love to see us draft him and Stephon Tuitt and have a ferocious pass rush.

  • GEEK
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 17,124
I'm a big fan, but he doesn't seem like he has the natural movement needed to play OLB, and doesn't have enough power to develop as a 3-4 DE.

To me, he seems like a strict 4-3 DE.
Reminds me of Manny Lawson
Originally posted by GEEK:
I'm a big fan, but he doesn't seem like he has the natural movement needed to play OLB, and doesn't have enough power to develop as a 3-4 DE.

To me, he seems like a strict 4-3 DE.

I agree... but admittedly.. I felt the same about Aldon when he was a prospect.

Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Originally posted by GEEK:
I'm a big fan, but he doesn't seem like he has the natural movement needed to play OLB, and doesn't have enough power to develop as a 3-4 DE.

To me, he seems like a strict 4-3 DE.

I agree... but admittedly.. I felt the same about Aldon when he was a prospect.


Lol yeah I thought Aldon was just a slow Manny Lawson. My Bad indeed
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Lol yeah I thought Aldon was just a slow Manny Lawson. My Bad indeed

thought he would be a good 4-3 DE after a year or two of developing... but just didn't think he would quickly or effectively transition to rush LB in a 3-4.


... no shame. I don't get paid to or have the kind of access that pro scouts do, so...
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Lol yeah I thought Aldon was just a slow Manny Lawson. My Bad indeed

thought he would be a good 4-3 DE after a year or two of developing... but just didn't think he would quickly or effectively transition to rush LB in a 3-4.


... no shame. I don't get paid to or have the kind of access that pro scouts do, so...

Hmm...I thought he would drink too much, carry assault weapons around and yell "Bomb" at the airport! Wow was I right!

Seriously, I didn't think much of the pick either!
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Lol yeah I thought Aldon was just a slow Manny Lawson. My Bad indeed

thought he would be a good 4-3 DE after a year or two of developing... but just didn't think he would quickly or effectively transition to rush LB in a 3-4.


... no shame. I don't get paid to or have the kind of access that pro scouts do, so...

Hmm...I thought he would drink too much, carry assault weapons around and yell "Bomb" at the airport! Wow was I right!

Seriously, I didn't think much of the pick either!

Yeah I remember being kind of pissed initially. Then after a couple days when I heard more about him, I started to understand the pick more and had hope for him. Still had no idea he would be as good as he was. I was also pissed when we drafted Kwame Harris. At least my anger remained justified on that one!
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Yeah I remember being kind of pissed initially. Then after a couple days when I heard more about him, I started to understand the pick more and had hope for him. Still had no idea he would be as good as he was. I was also pissed when we drafted Kwame Harris. At least my anger remained justified on that one!

Harris, Woods, Rumph, Balmer and Jenkins...all good reasons for not-over rating first round picks. But during those same 12 years V Davis, Staley, Willis, Iupati, Davis, Aldon and Reid...not too bad overall.
His player report from Scouts Inc, basically he's a 4-3 DE, don't see him as an OLB or a 3-4 DE.


Pass Rush Skills-3-Effective hand fighter. Makes it tough for offensive linemen to reach him and can counterpunch when blocker wins initially. Good awareness, instincts and effort (for most part) as a pass rusher. Only average get-off quickness. Inconsistent snap anticipation  last DL off the ball too many times. Lacks suddenness. Slow to redirect, struggles to run the loop, and slow to spin off blocks. Flashes ability to convert speed to power, but can be too slow developing. Too much of power comes from upper body. Has to learn how to stay low and use momentum to drive through OT as a power rusher. Doesn't have a plan at times and will struggle to counter when reached. Flashes ability to penetrate and disrupt as inside pass rusher. Gets skinny and powers his way through small gaps. Has very long arms. Does a nice job getting hands up and bats down a lot of balls. Sack production peaked as a senior but is a bit misleading. Of his 11.5 sacks, 6.5 came versus marginal competition (Pittsburgh's marginal OTs-3.5, Old Dominion-2, MTSU-1).



Versus the run-3-Despite excellent size, is a bit of a high-cut and narrow-based run defender. So when pads start to rise, he gets on roller skates quickly. Also does a lot of lunging and winds up on the ground too often. Most of his power comes from upper body. But he does have intriguing upside. Shows ability to stack and shed when he's using good leverage and technique. Also flashes ability to anchor versus double team. Powerful upper body. Presses and controls tight ends. Locates and tracks ball well. Can shed quickly. He's in on a lot of plays. Like his effort. Works back down the line after initially setting the edge, and tracks down indecisive RBs in the hole.


Versatility-4-Best suited to play LDE in a 4-3 scheme and really doesn't project well to other positions/schemes in NFL. Lacks burst and flexibility 4-3 teams typically covet at RDE. Has shown flashes of being able to reduce to DT and rush QB on obvious passing downs, but needs to master his own trade first. Too many athletic limitations for 34OLB, and as it stands now; lacks bulk/base for 34 DE as it stands now.

Instincts/Motor-3-Can be a bit of a front-runner from an effort/toughness standpoint. He tends to turn up the heat and become much more physical when things are going his way (Pittsburgh, Old Dominion). But if he fails to win initially or if he's stuck in an unfavorable matchup (South Carolina, UVA vs. LOT Morgan Moses), his motor can run hot-and-cold.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Apr 17, 2014 at 7:37 AM ]
I'm a huge UNC fan, I've watched almost every single snap of this guys college career. With that said, I don't want him as a 49er. He's very inconsistent, I see him as a Manny Lawson at best type of player. If he were available say 6th round (which he won't be most likely) then I'd be fine with it, but he's not someone I think will ever develop into starter material in the NFL. This upcoming season, he would be far behind Lemonier, Skuta and of course Brooks & Aldon (who will be a 49er btw)
ehhh i saw him play a couple times and i was not impressed





where's the trent murphy thread?
[ Edited by sf_nicoya on Apr 17, 2014 at 8:03 AM ]
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 17,124
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
His player report from Scouts Inc, basically he's a 4-3 DE, don't see him as an OLB or a 3-4 DE.


Pass Rush Skills-3-Effective hand fighter. Makes it tough for offensive linemen to reach him and can counterpunch when blocker wins initially. Good awareness, instincts and effort (for most part) as a pass rusher. Only average get-off quickness. Inconsistent snap anticipation  last DL off the ball too many times. Lacks suddenness. Slow to redirect, struggles to run the loop, and slow to spin off blocks. Flashes ability to convert speed to power, but can be too slow developing. Too much of power comes from upper body. Has to learn how to stay low and use momentum to drive through OT as a power rusher. Doesn't have a plan at times and will struggle to counter when reached. Flashes ability to penetrate and disrupt as inside pass rusher. Gets skinny and powers his way through small gaps. Has very long arms. Does a nice job getting hands up and bats down a lot of balls. Sack production peaked as a senior but is a bit misleading. Of his 11.5 sacks, 6.5 came versus marginal competition (Pittsburgh's marginal OTs-3.5, Old Dominion-2, MTSU-1).



Versus the run-3-Despite excellent size, is a bit of a high-cut and narrow-based run defender. So when pads start to rise, he gets on roller skates quickly. Also does a lot of lunging and winds up on the ground too often. Most of his power comes from upper body. But he does have intriguing upside. Shows ability to stack and shed when he's using good leverage and technique. Also flashes ability to anchor versus double team. Powerful upper body. Presses and controls tight ends. Locates and tracks ball well. Can shed quickly. He's in on a lot of plays. Like his effort. Works back down the line after initially setting the edge, and tracks down indecisive RBs in the hole.


Versatility-4-Best suited to play LDE in a 4-3 scheme and really doesn't project well to other positions/schemes in NFL. Lacks burst and flexibility 4-3 teams typically covet at RDE. Has shown flashes of being able to reduce to DT and rush QB on obvious passing downs, but needs to master his own trade first. Too many athletic limitations for 34OLB, and as it stands now; lacks bulk/base for 34 DE as it stands now.

Instincts/Motor-3-Can be a bit of a front-runner from an effort/toughness standpoint. He tends to turn up the heat and become much more physical when things are going his way (Pittsburgh, Old Dominion). But if he fails to win initially or if he's stuck in an unfavorable matchup (South Carolina, UVA vs. LOT Morgan Moses), his motor can run hot-and-cold.

Good post - exactly my thoughts on Martin. Vikings, Bears, and Cowboys are good fits for him. Anything 3-4 related scheme is not.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Hmm...I thought he would drink too much, carry assault weapons around and yell "Bomb" at the airport! Wow was I right!

Seriously, I didn't think much of the pick either!

.................