There are 99 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Trade or Not to Trade. Impact Players that start or Backups with Potential?

Trade or Not to Trade. Impact Players that start or Backups with Potential?

Given all we know about this team and our current questionable drafts recently, I ask this question?

Trade or Not to Trade. Impact Players that start or Backups with Potential?

What would you rather see the team do?

2 Impact Starters that start from Day 1 or rookies that ride the pine with Potential?
rookies with potential
.
Rookiez rarely start for us .... we'll trade up N down but we wont give it all up for 1 or 2 playerz....
Two impact starters, as the last two years of Trent's draft have only resulted in one.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 6,306
because our incredibly dense core group is going into FA in the next 3 years it would be best to go after immediate impact players. Save cap space by sacrificing just 2-3 players and then drafting according to prepare for the likely impending FAs of the next few years.
Trade our 5-7ths to move up in 1st 2nd and 3rd to get both impact starters and solid backups
Impact players. Starters who make a difference. As many as those as you can get. The rest are just dead weight sitting on the bench collecting dust.
I'm okay with trading up like we did last year to get a guy we target but with so many FAs in the next few years IMO we need to continue to get quality depth, guys who can play and make an impact now and potentially start later
Draft only guys that were hurt in college and hope they can contribute in a year or so. (sarcasam)

Before we start looking at the draft, lets wait and see who we resign and who, if anyone, we pick up in FA. That should be a good indicator of what we should be looking for in the draft. If we lose Hitner, then obviously, moving up to replace him makes sense, same with Boldin. But if we make a deal to bring a Gordon or someone of the likes in, that changes everything.

To discuss draft strategy this early in the game is a crap shoot, just like those sites that have mock drafts for 2016, its all speculative and likely going to change.
Originally posted by matt49er:
I'm okay with trading up like we did last year to get a guy we target but with so many FAs in the next few years IMO we need to continue to get quality depth, guys who can play and make an impact now and potentially start later
This. This. This.

Just in case some of you didn't get it (FA 2014 and 2015 respectively, list is not complete, Starters are in bold):
-Boldin, Goodwin, Whitner, Dobbs, Wilhoite, Brown, Wright, Dixon, Osgood, McCoy, MM
-Gore, Crabs, Aldon, Dorsey, Iupati, Skuta, Kaep, Spillman, Cully, Miller, Baldwin, Snyder, Ventrone, Hunter, Kilgore, Celek, TJE

Either we extend them somehow or they will be replaced. Given the number of (future) FAs there no room to trade our farm for one or two starters.

Guys, I love free speech but it would be still helpful if you do some research before you create this type of threads.
[ Edited by communist on Jan 23, 2014 at 6:58 AM ]
Who is to say a 5th or 6th rounder wont be a starter year 1 on our team? Look at Richard Sherman - 5th round pick i believe.
Just cause you take a guy 15th overall or 30th overall doesnt mean squat. You need to draft a guy who will fit your system, is willing to learn and work to get better.

i really hope Patton next year is given more of an opportunity to make plays. that guy is our "Harvin"
Originally posted by Canadian9erfan:
Who is to say a 5th or 6th rounder wont be a starter year 1 on our team? Look at Richard Sherman - 5th round pick i believe.
Just cause you take a guy 15th overall or 30th overall doesnt mean squat. You need to draft a guy who will fit your system, is willing to learn and work to get better.

i really hope Patton next year is given more of an opportunity to make plays. that guy is our "Harvin"
Oh right, just because a late-rounder pans out, it isnt valid for everyone of them.

Same logic some guys try to apply when someone is claims that a team won't find a franchise QB on day 2 or even the third day just because Brady and Romo were drafted late (if at all).

Wait, you say, we can find starters in late rounds? I thought it is irrelevant since these picks are traded away.
don't fprget we need a middle linebacker with bowmans injury
I wouldn't say that.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 2,872
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Trade our 5-7ths to move up in 1st 2nd and 3rd to get both impact starters and solid backups

This is what I want too. We don't have enough roster spots for rounds 5-7 picks, so consolidate them into fewer, higher picks. And, of course, we also want to trade some of our picks for future year picks. (: