LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 270 users in the forums

Trade up and get Sammy Watkins??

Originally posted by Harkonnenzombie:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I understand where you are coming from. My perspective is this.....Cleveland was known to be willing to trade him earlier in the season for a pair of second rounders. Yes, he had an amazing amazing season, but I feel the risk of the year long suspension hanging over his head can be the catalyst for the possibility of the trade to happen. The Niners NEED to make a blockbuster trade, We are in the extremely rare position where we have the luxury of making a big time move, if we are going to do it at any time, its now!!!!

No they weren't, a lot of that was speculation but there was never any sort of concrete proof. I don't think Cleveland was willing to trade him for anything less than a 1st rounder. Also, your crazy is you think that Gordon wasn't included as part of the package to entice a new head coach. They have a franchise receiver, the highlight of their offense, no way will they trade that way.

You bring up very valid points Phoenix, but I just factor in how weak the team is in almost all positions. If we dangle a 1st, 2nd, and a 2nd in 2015 I doubt they dont consider it. And besides, they are the Browns, there not that bright.

Wow. That offer escalated in a hurry. Just a little while ago we could "simply give a first". Now its that plus two 2nd rd picks.

Why you gotta break balls

He's the designated ball breaker....
  • buck
  • Veteran
I can really see the trade happening. Cleveland needs picks, Gordon will be suspended one year the next time he is caught smoking bud, but if he comes to the Niners I feel he will be too focuse trying to win a ring instead of doing other things.

Cleveland needs picks?

They have 9 picks in the upcoming draft.

Cleveland has two picks in the first--# 4 and # 26.

In the second, they have one pick-- #35.

In the third, they have picks #71 and # 83

And they have one pick in 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th rounds--and those are early picks in each round.
[ Edited by buck on Jan 23, 2014 at 3:27 PM ]
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
I understand where you are coming from. My perspective is this.....Cleveland was known to be willing to trade him earlier in the season for a pair of second rounders. Yes, he had an amazing amazing season, but I feel the risk of the year long suspension hanging over his head can be the catalyst for the possibility of the trade to happen. The Niners NEED to make a blockbuster trade, We are in the extremely rare position where we have the luxury of making a big time move, if we are going to do it at any time, its now!!!!

No they weren't, a lot of that was speculation but there was never any sort of concrete proof. I don't think Cleveland was willing to trade him for anything less than a 1st rounder. Also, your crazy is you think that Gordon wasn't included as part of the package to entice a new head coach. They have a franchise receiver, the highlight of their offense, no way will they trade that way.

You bring up very valid points Phoenix, but I just factor in how weak the team is in almost all positions. If we dangle a 1st, 2nd, and a 2nd in 2015 I doubt they dont consider it. And besides, they are the Browns, there not that bright.

Wow. That offer escalated in a hurry. Just a little while ago we could "simply give a first". Now its that plus two 2nd rd picks.

Yep. I am just employed by Ghost. He is the DON of the Draft Mafia.
Cleveland's main needs are QB and RB. They said they're interested in trading up to get Manziel and even if they don't they have a chance to get Bortles or possibly Bridgewater if it's true that scouts have been down on him. You can also get all pro RB's any point in the draft or even as a UDFA. Of course they have other needs but if they fill those 2 positions they CAN improve a lot.
I just don't know if their new coach is the answer though. The Bills defense wasn't that good was it?

Yep. I am just employed by Ghost. He is the DON of the Draft Mafia.

Ninerjohn watching over the draft forum making sure people don't say stupid s**t.

Cuz someone's gotta do it!
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Jan 23, 2014 at 4:35 PM ]
Lol y'all are crazy... And ball busters.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
If the Rams have any sense, Watkins will go #2 overall. Chris Givens on one side, Watkins on the other and Tavon Austin in the slot....forget about it. Love the potential of Clowney, but the Rams are already top 3 in sacks with Quinn and Long.

if the rams have any sense they dump bradford and get a real QB.
Originally posted by susweel:
If the Rams have any sense, Watkins will go #2 overall. Chris Givens on one side, Watkins on the other and Tavon Austin in the slot....forget about it. Love the potential of Clowney, but the Rams are already top 3 in sacks with Quinn and Long.

if the rams have any sense they dump bradford and get a real QB.

They have already said they are committed to Sam Bradford for the upcoming future FWIW.
The only way I could see it happening is if for some reason he slipped toward the middle of the round. That said, Harbaalke could already have their eyes on other receivers. I like Benjamin a lot...he combines awesome size and good speed. I always think about what a RZ target WR's could be. I still think Patton could infuse speed/quickness...maybe in the slot position. In most cases, I'd take the combination of size and good speed over a smaller, faster receiver. There are just too many bigger DB's these days, especially in our division.
We can send Crabtree or v.david must trade to Sammy Watkins.. He is very very power and great special at WR.. We need him so badly...
[ Edited by BuZzB28 on Jan 23, 2014 at 6:08 PM ]

Originally posted by BuZzB28:
We can send Crabtree or v.david must trade to Sammy Watkins.. He is very very power and great special at WR.. We need him so badly...

Say what? LOL Ghost.. should I break some balls here??
Why not wait to see if Marquis Lee falls to the late teens early 20s ala Reid? Before this past season and the injuries lee and Watkins were neck and neck.
We're goin for Mike Evans
Originally posted by BuZzB28:

Say what? LOL Ghost.. should I break some balls here??

Originally posted by T-9ers:
i thinking the mortaging your future thing is a little over dramatic. history shows that the lower you go in the draft, the less chance you have a getting quality players. ofcourse that doesnt mean its not possible.

this was written by diego del barko and it clearly shows we have a bad track record picking late first.

http://www.49erswebzone.com/commentary/1236-straight-rabbits-disturbing-trend-first-rounds-nfl-drafts/

Yet every year teams find gems in the 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th rounds and so on. If the 49ers were to not have a single need for the next 3 years I'd say go for it, but they will have plenty of needs and will want those extra picks.

You can trade up for a guy Madden style, be flashy and not be a long-term contender as a result, or you can do what teams like New England do, keep acquiring picks, go into every draft with some extra draft picks, and keep replacing guys as they age, keep yourself in contention long term. I want to see the 49ers in contention long term, not a flash in the pan that fizzles because the team dropped all their capital on a single guy who if he is a bust or ends up injured, will basically bury your team. Teams can recover from one bad draft, blowing up two of them in a row can cripple your franchise.

We have a situation where we have extra picks. If there was a player we felt could be an instant impact player, I'm for packaging them and taking a gamble. It worked well with Reid last year. In either of our scenarios, it's not an exact science and we have no idea how it would work out. I already mentioned you can get great players late in the draft, but it's a math thing to me. Chances are you get a better player with a better pick, that's the basis of the whole draft system, getting the worse teams the opportunity to draft the best players first. If we used extra picks to get the draft slot of a bad team, it's like being ahead of the game, as long as we don't pay too much. The whole argument is pointless though unless we know exact dynamics of potential trades and draft choices. What would it take to get Sammy Watkins? I have no idea, but as history has shown, the chances of getting a quality NFL player in the late first round is not as good as getting one earlier. This can not be argued.
Share 49ersWebzone