LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 369 users in the forums

Trade up and get Sammy Watkins??

Lee is a more likely target for a trade up if he falls into the late teens.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Lee is a more likely target for a trade up if he falls into the late teens.

I am scared of Lee. His durability has made me skeptic of him as of late in the season. He has been EXP knee concerns as well. Great player when on the field but how healthy will he be throughout the season (like Harvin)?
i'd rather see them over pay for moving up then stay where theyre at and draft another aj jenkins.
Originally posted by T-9ers:
i'd rather see them over pay for moving up then stay where theyre at and draft another aj jenkins.

You act as if those are the only two options, either mortgage your future to trade up for a guy that you can't be sure won't be a bust either, or stay pat and draft a bust when in reality there will be plenty of talented players at the 49ers draft slotting and this draft is deep in wide receivers in the middle rounds. If anything the 49ers should trade down, acquire more picks in 2015 and then make a selection if a guy they really want isn't around at 30.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

You act as if those are the only two options, either mortgage your future to trade up for a guy that you can't be sure won't be a bust either, or stay pat and draft a bust when in reality there will be plenty of talented players at the 49ers draft slotting and this draft is deep in wide receivers in the middle rounds. If anything the 49ers should trade down, acquire more picks in 2015 and then make a selection if a guy they really want isn't around at 30.

If Gilbert should slide into the 20s (which I dont think will happen) I would rather use a pick to move up for him and then grab one of the talented WRs in the 2nd.
Moving up, using additional draft picks for a position like WR is a HUGE mistake. All it takes is the WR to get hurt, or not work out and you have lost the multiple picks for that 1 guy. Not to mention, WR isnt a difference making position in the NFL. Lets see, Megatron, Dez, Gordon, Fitz...what do they all have in common? thats right, they were watching the playoffs from the couch.

The sooner a team realizes that having a strong QB, O-line and D-line, the quicker they will get wins. Do we all remember having 2 first round picks and taking A. Davis and M. Iupati? Well since that time we have been on a roll! Nevermind taking a WR, RB etc. with 1st pick.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

If Gilbert should slide into the 20s (which I dont think will happen) I would rather use a pick to move up for him and then grab one of the talented WRs in the 2nd.

John do you like Gilbert or rank him ahead of Dennard? Just a curious question. I for one would rather trade up more for Dennard more than I would Gilbert. I think Dennard is more polished and technique is more sound than Gilbert. I think Gilbert's PR/KR ability is what brings his value more up the charts. Great athlete though but I would rather make a play for Dennard. I think Gilbert has two inches on Dennard in lack of height though. I seen Dennard listed as 5"11 197 and Gilbert at 6'0 200.

agreed with Phoenix and John.

So many receivers in this draft that we can wait to select one in the 2nd. Unless Watkins slides to the mid-late teens, the only players i'm willing to trade up for are Justin Gilbert or Darqueze Dennard.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
If the Rams have any sense, Watkins will go #2 overall. Chris Givens on one side, Watkins on the other and Tavon Austin in the slot....forget about it. Love the potential of Clowney, but the Rams are already top 3 in sacks with Quinn and Long.

If the Rams have any sense they will trade out of the #2 spot, pick up more picks, and either take Mathews or Watkins at 4 or 5. I could see Cleveland , Oakland, or Minnesota wanting to move into that spot to get their QB of the future.

Possibly, but the deeper teams look at this batch of QBs, the more they're likely to go in a different direction. If the Rams can get something out of that #2 pick, it would be great...but they would do so at the expense of possibly missing out on Watkins, which would be a huge mistake (IMO).
Originally posted by tondiman:
Originally posted by sspiker:
I'm all for trading picks this draft, but I draw the line at trading next year's picks. What could we get for a 1st, 2nd, and 2 3rds? That would still leave us with one pick in each of the first three rounds.

1st - Vernon Davis or Eric Reid or Aldon Smith
2nd - Kaepernick
3rds (x2) - Frank Gore and Navarro Bowman

You would give up the potential of landing players like these for 1 Sammy Watkins? and for the records, the Falcons got SHAFTED with that trade.. it set them back at least 2-3 years

To play Devil's advocate, you could also perceive it as, Sammy Watkins for:

1st: AJ Jenkins
2nd: LaMichael james or Vance McDonald
3rd (x2): Corey Lemonier and Chris Culliver
4th: Joe Looney

Originally posted by NC49erfan82:

John do you like Gilbert or rank him ahead of Dennard? Just a curious question. I for one would rather trade up more for Dennard more than I would Gilbert. I think Dennard is more polished and technique is more sound than Gilbert. I think Gilbert's PR/KR ability is what brings his value more up the charts. Great athlete though but I would rather make a play for Dennard. I think Gilbert has two inches on Dennard in lack of height though. I seen Dennard listed as 5"11 197 and Gilbert at 6'0 200.

I think I prefer the guy who is a bit bigger and the better athlete. Gilbert is a true playmaker. However, I would love either one to tell you the truth.
Ok,to all those who say no to the trade up scenerio and say ATL got the shaft in that trade,im curious about a few things.....

Did Atl have the number of multiple picks that we have this year??On top of the Comp picks we stand to get also??
To me,it stands to reason that if we end up getting rid of some picks in trade up/down scenarios,and if some of the guys wont even play,why not make an agressive move up??

Im against strapping the team for the future,but what about some of the back ups we have now,do we need to draft more??

Lets say Crab,Boldin,Lupati(lol),others dont re-up,thats money off the books to sign a higher pick right??Crab or Boldin leaves,we have Sammy.

I guess I just feel we might have more wiggle room to make an aggressive move up than what some might feel we do.I may be less informed than others,can someone shed some light??
Originally posted by Canadian9erfan:
WR isnt a difference making position in the NFL. Lets see, Megatron, Dez, Gordon, Fitz...what do they all have in common? They all have s**t QB's and terrible offensive lines....

Fixed lol.
[ Edited by VDpwndMjenkins on Jan 23, 2014 at 1:14 PM ]
Originally posted by VDpwndMjenkins:
Ok,to all those who say no to the trade up scenerio and say ATL got the shaft in that trade,im curious about a few things.....

Did Atl have the number of multiple picks that we have this year??On top of the Comp picks we stand to get also??
To me,it stands to reason that if we end up getting rid of some picks in trade up/down scenarios,and if some of the guys wont even play,why not make an agressive move up??

Im against strapping the team for the future,but what about some of the back ups we have now,do we need to draft more??

Lets say Crab,Boldin,Lupati(lol),others dont re-up,thats money off the books to sign a higher pick right??Crab or Boldin leaves,we have Sammy.

I guess I just feel we might have more wiggle room to make an aggressive move up than what some might feel we do.I may be less informed than others,can someone shed some light??

Would you trade a potential starting CB, S, and WR and perhaps more to get one unproven rookie? I wouldnt. The Niners are good but they still have needs at WR, CB, SS, QB (backup), C to name a few. They can address all of these positions with quality players if they sit tight and draft well. It will also be important to have as many producing rookies as possible given the salary cap and the upcoming renegotation with Kaep.

Sammy would be awesome but he just isnt worth trading several high picks for.
[ Edited by Ninerjohn on Jan 23, 2014 at 1:26 PM ]
Originally posted by LaMichaelJeff:
agreed with Phoenix and John.

So many receivers in this draft that we can wait to select one in the 2nd. Unless Watkins slides to the mid-late teens, the only players i'm willing to trade up for are Justin Gilbert or Darqueze Dennard.

Not going to lie, if for whatever reason the 49ers traded up for someone like Hageman, I would not be irate. He's got insane beast potential, is just raw and needs to be coached up, 49ers have Tomsula, its like a perfect match. I know there are those who argue that DL isn't a need and they make a point, I just wouldn't at all be mad about it. He's 6'6" and 320 with room to grow further. Absolute freak that is rather underrated and can play DE or NT in a 3-4 system.
Share 49ersWebzone