LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 264 users in the forums

Lamin Barrow-ILB/OLB-LSU

He's gonna have to add some weight to hold up Bowman gonna have a tough recovery it's smart to pick up a guy. Just like it's smart to pick up a CB b/c we don't know how well Culliver is gonna be when he returns. Everybody isn't AP. And it even took him 3/4 weeks to find his groove.
6'1", 237-22 reps on the bench press, 4.64 40, 35" vertical and 10'3" broad jump. Definitely an interesting prospect that could compete for a spot at ILB and provide long term depth and special teams duties.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
6'1", 237-22 reps on the bench press, 4.64 40, 35" vertical and 10'3" broad jump. Definitely an interesting prospect that could compete for a spot at ILB and provide long term depth and special teams duties.

Nice numbers. Wouldn't mind picking him up with all of the picks we have available.
what pick?
Originally posted by communist:
what pick?

In the 3rd round.
I know, but what pick?
Not really big on us drafting an ILB, but to no surprise, I have been pleased with everything that Barrow did today. Watched a lot of him at LSU, and have him as a 3rd/4th rd pick that will be a starter soon enough for a team.
what pick?

In the 3rd round.

Definitely a possibility, but spending a 3rd rounder on a guy who may have to sit for 3 years or so? Not entirely sold on that idea. I like Barrow a lot and I totally get needing to have a quality backup ready to go just in case (e.g., what happened to NaVorro). But Willis is signed through 2016 and Bowman through 2018, so Barrow isn't realistically looking at starting until maybe the 3rd year of his deal but more realistically, the 4th and final year of his rookie deal. Seems pricey to me to have a 3rd rounder sit for most of his career like that.

Again, I'm not saying it's dumb to have a quality backup/heir apparent to Willis because it does make sense on a certain level. I see those 3rd round picks typically being reserved for guys that can/should start either in their first year or the next and unless something catastrophic happened, I don't see it happening at the ILB position. With Bow scheduled to be back likely around mid-year, I think they'd feel more comfortable running Wilhoite (who's decent, experienced and expendable)out there next to Willis then grabbing a late round ILB to play special teams/backup alongside Moody.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Feb 24, 2014 at 4:19 PM ]
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
what pick?

In the 3rd round.

Definitely a possibility, but spending a 3rd rounder on a guy who may have to sit for 3 years or so? Not entirely sold on that idea. I like Barrow a lot and I totally get needing to have a quality backup ready to go just in case (e.g., what happened to NaVorro). But Willis is signed through 2016 and Bowman through 2018, so Barrow isn't realistically looking at starting until the 3rd year of his deal. Seems pricey to me.

Again, I'm not saying it's dumb to have a quality backup/heir apparent to Willis because it does make sense on a certain level. I see those 3rd round picks typically being reserved for guys that can/should start either in their first year or the next and unless something catastrophic happened, I don't see it happening at the ILB position. With Bow scheduled to be back likely around mid-year, I think they'd feel more comfortable running Wilhoite (who's decent, experienced and expendable)out there next to Willis then grabbing a late round ILB to play special teams/backup alongside Moody.

Like Cal's prospect, the size/speed workout warrior and high-potential, versatile LB Khairi Fortt.

(I would honestly be quite happy if we landed what I feel is a possible Bowman clone with the right development).
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Feb 24, 2014 at 4:21 PM ]
Definitely a possibility, but spending a 3rd rounder on a guy who may have to sit for 3 years or so? Not entirely sold on that idea. I like Barrow a lot and I totally get needing to have a quality backup ready to go just in case (e.g., what happened to NaVorro). But Willis is signed through 2016 and Bowman through 2018, so Barrow isn't realistically looking at starting until maybe the 3rd year of his deal but more realistically, the 4th and final year of his rookie deal. Seems pricey to me to have a 3rd rounder sit for most of his career like that.

Phoenix is talking about the possibility that he could start right away.

BTW, IF this guy pans out in training camp etc., we could get rid of Willis earlier and save some money.

BTW, IF this guy pans out in training camp etc., we could get rid of Willis earlier and save some money.

Well yah, if the plan is to push Willis out, than I agree. Just ain't gonna happen!
  • DeUh
  • Veteran

communist with his best skip bayles impersonation !
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
what pick?

In the 3rd round.

Definitely a possibility, but spending a 3rd rounder on a guy who may have to sit for 3 years or so? Not entirely sold on that idea. I like Barrow a lot and I totally get needing to have a quality backup ready to go just in case (e.g., what happened to NaVorro). But Willis is signed through 2016 and Bowman through 2018, so Barrow isn't realistically looking at starting until the 3rd year of his deal. Seems pricey to me.

Like Cal's prospect, the size/speed workout warrior and high-potential, versatile LB Khairi Fortt.

(I would honestly be quite happy if we landed what I feel is a possible Bowman clone with the right development).

I can't see Fortt being a favorite of Harbaugh, with his whole "football isn't my first love" thing going on.
Well yah, if the plan is to push Willis out, than I agree. Just ain't gonna happen!
We have to get rid of Willis imho. He is way too expensive. Unless we get rid of Bowman instead but he is younger and better for now.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
I like Barrow. I think he's going to be a solid player in this league.

That being said, I think we can get by if we resign Larry Grant, and have him compete with Wilhoite for the starting ILB job until Bowman is ready to return. Wilhoite played very well when he subbed for Willis, and Grant showed flashes in a similar situation.

Save the 3rd round pick to gain 2015 picks or move up in the draft.
Share 49ersWebzone