There are 190 users in the forums

Brandin Cooks- WR, Oregon St.

Love how this kid compares in everything aside from arm length. Only problem now is the need to trade up to get him....

• HERN
  • Veteran
For The Exception Of Watkins And Cooks, I'll Take Patton All Day.
Originally posted by random49er:
Love how this kid compares in everything aside from arm length. Only problem now is the need to trade up to get him....

I don't think he's worth trading up for. Trading up will cost you a 1st and the earlier 3rd rounder at minimum. Considering how deep this draft is at WR, 49ers could do plenty well without giving away any draft picks, especially for someone who won't likely get much playing time to begin with.
You seriously seeing close to 12 draft picks making this team???
You seriously seeing close to 12 draft picks making this team???

You gain more maneuverability using those mid-late picks to move around in the 2nd and 3rd than in the first, so you must identify a can't miss guy to move that far in the first. I like Cooks, but I'm not convinced he's so much better than Beckham that we can't take whoever falls (if we even go WR in the 1st).
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
You gain more maneuverability using those mid-late picks to move around in the 2nd and 3rd than in the first, so you must identify a can't miss guy to move that far in the first. I like Cooks, but I'm not convinced he's so much better than Beckham that we can't take whoever falls (if we even go WR in the 1st).

This. Maximize the amount of picks you use in the middle rounds. Using the later picks you can move up to acquire an additional 3rd rounder or simply trade them for picks next year.

Yessir
We will find out if the Niners go for this guy but even if we don't, the guy just looks exciting to watch. Unless he goes to a division rival, I will keep my eye on him. Granted they are just highlights we are watching, but most of the passes from his Qb were underthrown. He seems to have good awareness of locating the ball. He reminded me of the way people talk about Frank Gore being a smart football player... When he needed to dodge a hit, he went low, when a DB was coming to fast , he did a start and stop. When he was in the back of the endzone, he found a soft spot and let the QB find him. He could be a great addition on special teams and many of his plays reminds me of Percy Harvin.... End arounds and sort screens.

Baalke and Harbs tried for Jenkins and seemed to like that pick when they made it. They missed on AJ but it seems clear that they wanted a wr like that. Actually in that draft, I remember Harbs being excited about Jenkins and James, because he liked adding speed to the team. Cooks makes sense but this years draft has tons of talent so we will see what Free Agency leaves us with.

The Niners already have a Championship caliber team. They may just be lacking a piece or 2 to get them over the hump.
Brandin cooks is a perfect example of what I was talking about in the combine thread. I think he's going to end up being a top 15 pick after his performance at the combine. If he ran like a 4.5 40 with good but not great agility / jump numbers, he probably would've been a late 2nd rounder or early 3rd rounder. NFL people knew he was a burner 'cause he set the Oregon state record in the 60 yard dash. But Cooks was still considered a late first / early 2nd round pick all season. Now that he murdered the combine in just about every aspect I'm predicting he goes top 15.
[ Edited by VPofCarnage on Feb 24, 2014 at 1:49 AM ]
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:
Brandin cooks is a perfect example of what I was talking about in the combine thread. I think he's going to end up being a top 15 pick after his performance at the combine. If he ran like a 4.5 40 with good but not great agility / jump numbers, he probably would've been a late 2nd rounder or early 3rd rounder. NFL people knew he was a burner 'cause he set the Oregon state record in the 60 yard dash. But Cooks was still considered a late first / early 2nd round pick all season. Now that he murdered the combine in just about every aspect I'm predicting he goes top 15.

I don't know about that. How many qb's go, and o line than theres some good dline players, possible cb going. And than Sammy has to go too. Really good draft he might slip to be honest.

You gain more maneuverability using those mid-late picks to move around in the 2nd and 3rd than in the first

Well 1st off let me flat out deny that you need at least a 3rd to move further up the 1st round chart when you're already trading pick #30.

If giving away a 7th or a 6th to move up 6 or 7 spots and assure us we get OUR GUY that can contribute to what we need,...I'm all for it.

No sense in unnecessarily holding onto extremely late picks when they give you maneuverability all over the draft,...not just in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.
It doesn't matter. Trent already has the guy that he wants written in a envelope...probably some dude we haven't heard of . He 'll be a star.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I don't think he makes it to the 49ers pick now honestly, if they wanted him they'd probably have to trade up for him. He'd be a great fit in Kansas City IMO, the quickness to succeed on slants and quick passing patterns, screens...etc.

I think when it's all said and done we won't have to trade up for him. Such a deep receiver class imo will push guys down with teams thinking they can just address the position later in the draft.
You gain more maneuverability using those mid-late picks to move around in the 2nd and 3rd than in the first

Well 1st off let me flat out deny that you need at least a 3rd to move further up the 1st round chart when you're already trading pick #30.

If giving away a 7th or a 6th to move up 6 or 7 spots and assure us we get OUR GUY that can contribute to what we need,...I'm all for it.

No sense in unnecessarily holding onto extremely late picks when they give you maneuverability all over the draft,...not just in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

It would take at least a 4th (5th if they are DESPERATE) to move 7 picks from 30.
  • cools
  • Veteran
Niners could also deal one of their players to help move up (Ian Williams, or one of the RB's)

I think they end up with Cooks or Beckham Jr. I be thrilled to have either one
Share 49ersWebzone