There are 166 users in the forums

Brandin Cooks- WR, Oregon St.

Originally posted by Phil:
Originally posted by CWin4949:
The only way I like Cooks is if we draft 2 WR's. Cooks and Robinson. Cooks and Mathews. Hell, even Cooks and Brandon Coleman. We need a viable big man for the endzone. It's almost as if some people haven't watched how our last 2 seasons ended.

an under thrown pass and a throw away pass....???

That's a QB problem not WR problem....

3 passes to Crabs in the SB. Three. III. Thrice. Tres. We drove all the way down the field from our own 20. Then ended up first and goal. One run to James. 3 passes to Crabtree. Superbowl championship slips away....Then in the Seattle championship game Kap thought Crabs one on one against Sherman was an ideal situation to attempt a pass over the top of Sherman. NO. Just no. Sherman has made a career of making people pay for attempting that. If we had a bigger/taller/stronger wide receiver we'd have a better chance with a jump ball. The pass shouldn't have even been thrown. Not to Crabtree with Sherman on him. Maybe if the play was set up different and it was Boldin one on one with anyone but Sherman....

I get pissed off just thinking about it. We need a tall WR who can jump with a wide catch radius. It should be obvious. If we had a Mike Evans type player the last 2 seasons we'd be SB champs.

We could have had Too Tall Jones, with Shaq on his shoulders and it wouldn't have changed the outcome of the final play of last season .

You can have CJ lining up for us but if our QB doesn't learn to make the right throws, it just won't matter.

I'm with you, I'd love to see a big target WR, but our history shows that we don't want to incorporate that into our offense for some unexplained reason...
  • Phil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by crake49:
The only way I like Cooks is if we draft 2 WR's. Cooks and Robinson. Cooks and Mathews. Hell, even Cooks and Brandon Coleman. We need a viable big man for the endzone. It's almost as if some people haven't watched how our last 2 seasons ended.

I'm not sure why you are ready to make a vast generalization about a season's worth of offense based on basically two plays. One could also say that if the Niners had a legitimate speed receiver who was taking the top off of opposing defenses and forcing defenses like the Seahawks out of that 1 deep safety formation, that the last two seasons would have never come down to the plays that they did at the end.

Or here's another way of looking at it. Who are the most imposing tall "red zone" receivers in the league? You'd have to say Jimmy Graham, "Megatron" and a few others. How did Jimmy Graham do against the Seahawks? How'd the Lions do last season? On the other hand, which receiver burned Richard Sherman the baddest all last season? I'd say Ty Hilton.

Ya, we were lacking a speedster as well. I dont deny that. we need a guy who can spread the field. But when push came to shove, when EVERYTHING was on the line the lack of a redzone beast killed us. If this season ends in the playoffs/Superbowl with a muffed game winning opportunity in the endzone I'll probably start suffering from battered wife syndrome. Give me a strong 6-4/6-3 WR with great jumping ability, wide catch radius and low drop % please. This, to go along with someone like Cooks.
If Beckham is not there I would want Cooks over Lee.
Originally posted by CWin4949:
Oh, believe me Bro, I've moved on, just making the point that a big target like someone Baldwin size, isn't necessarily going to change anything for us, when a guy like Cooks can have multiple impacts for us.

I completely agree. I want them to move up into the mid teens and take either Cooks or Beckham. Either one of them has elite speed and both of them are dangerous returners. Either one of them gives the Niners offense a dimension it just doesn't have right now. Then, I want them to take the best corner available in the second. After that, I almost don't care, but there will be some big receivers there in the third round so why not take one? Terrell Owens was a third round pick.
Ya, we were lacking a speedster as well. I dont deny that. we need a guy who can spread the field. But when push came to shove, when EVERYTHING was on the line the lack of a redzone beast killed us. If this season ends in the playoffs/Superbowl with a muffed game winning opportunity in the endzone I'll probably start suffering from battered wife syndrome. Give me a strong 6-4/6-3 WR with great jumping ability, wide catch radius and low drop % please. This, to go along with someone like Cooks.

They can get both this year. There are some very big receivers who will still be there in the third. Get one of the fastest guys in the draft in the first, take the best corner available in the second and take a big receiver in the third.
I love this kid I really hope we land this guy. All the press has been talking about us going after OB jr I'm hoping that was a smoke screen while we target cooks
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
If Beckham is not there I would want Cooks over Lee.

This. Too many red flags with Lee.
Originally posted by 49ERnation:
I love this kid I really hope we land this guy. All the press has been talking about us going after OB jr I'm hoping that was a smoke screen while we target cooks

Either would be gravy.
if this is our man it's going to be a special moment for him to get called up and put on that hat of his childhood team.
Originally posted by NeonNiner:
Either would be gravy.

Absolutely. I lean towards Cooks because he's been a Niner fan all his life and patterns himself after the very aggressive Steve Smith, but Beckham would be great too. Beckham has spectacular hands and his speed is right there in Brandon Cooks territory.

There goes my dream
Glad the WZ dream is over. Too small and doesn't play to his timed speed. Now we can get a better player.
Share 49ersWebzone