There are 126 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Brandin Cooks- WR, Oregon St.

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Just the same way I said that Justin Hunter wasn't going to happen, I don't think Cooks is going to happen. He is truly special, when it comes to being a horrible, atrocious blocker. Bad technique and little to no effort to block, in this offense, where EVERY receiver blocks, not sure how he fits. Compared to the LSU guys who excel in pretty much every facet as receivers, I do think that Cooks leaves a bit to be desired.

He's similar to Antonio Brown in some ways, also similar to Desean Jackson, but looks to be primarily a slot guy in the NFL. The blocking though is an issue definitely, its not just that he needs to be coached up, he gave halfhearted efforts at blocking at best....that won't fly in those offense.

Those are definitely fair criticisms regarding blocking. With that said, picking at the end of the first round we need to pick our tradeoffs in players. A player with his speed/quickness/production game AND blocking ability would be out of our reach in the 1st round. What I like about Cooks is that he is arguably the best player in the draft in the trait we lack most in our wr corp and offense. While Antonio Browns and Desean Jacksons are not well-rounded they do help the passing game immensely and even the running game by being able to stretch the field. He's a guy we would want to put in motion prior to the snap (similar to how he was played in college) to help avoid the jam by the Seattle db's, but once you get him going he has the skillset to beat that Seattle secondary and force their safeties to play off.
Even as a true sophomore playing across from Marcus Wheaton and crappy qb this guy was incredibly productive. Just imagine how he would be as a senior.

Originally posted by 49oz2superbowl:
Just the same way I said that Justin Hunter wasn't going to happen, I don't think Cooks is going to happen. He is truly special, when it comes to being a horrible, atrocious blocker. Bad technique and little to no effort to block, in this offense, where EVERY receiver blocks, not sure how he fits. Compared to the LSU guys who excel in pretty much every facet as receivers, I do think that Cooks leaves a bit to be desired.

He's similar to Antonio Brown in some ways, also similar to Desean Jackson, but looks to be primarily a slot guy in the NFL. The blocking though is an issue definitely, its not just that he needs to be coached up, he gave halfhearted efforts at blocking at best....that won't fly in those offense.

Those are definitely fair criticisms regarding blocking. With that said, picking at the end of the first round we need to pick our tradeoffs in players. A player with his speed/quickness/production game AND blocking ability would be out of our reach in the 1st round. What I like about Cooks is that he is arguably the best player in the draft in the trait we lack most in our wr corp and offense. While Antonio Browns and Desean Jacksons are not well-rounded they do help the passing game immensely and even the running game by being able to stretch the field. He's a guy we would want to put in motion prior to the snap (similar to how he was played in college) to help avoid the jam by the Seattle db's, but once you get him going he has the skillset to beat that Seattle secondary and force their safeties to play off.

You present an interesting thought. Even if he can't learn to be very good at perimeter blocking (we don't know what he was asked/coached to do), he can runoff the CB on most downs (or they risk giving up big plays on play-action passes. Additionally forcing a safety to align over the top of him effectively unpacks the box, giving back the numbers advantage to our OL.
Originally posted by 49oz2superbowl:
The more I watch this wr class I think there is a considerable dropoff after Brandin Cooks. I see Watkins, Lee, Evans, Allen, and Cooks as the only true first round worthy wr's from a skillset perspective. Neither of the LSU receivers possess the speed and ability to separate that Cooks does and neither were even close to as productive (with a much better qb). Cooks is extremely underrated at this point and come draft day we will all be praying he falls to our pick in the 1st round. People saying Jordan Matthews in the 1st and Cooks in the 2nd need to understand that Matthews is more likely to fall to our 3rd rounder than Cooks is to our 2nd rounder. If Cooks were a few inches taller we would be talking about a top 10 lock. Fortunately height is extremely overrated given how few players actually user their height effectively.

Eh i wouldn't really be concerned about his blocking ability. If he's on the field, we probably wouldn't be running anyway. I think he is more explosive than either Landry or Beckham and that is what we desperately need on this offense. I think Landry on this team would be redundant. Too similar to guys we already have. We need that quick, shifty, fast slot guy. Cooks seems like the top fit for that. I think Beckham would be the next choice after Cooks.
Lets wait for his 40 time & bench press if he hits in the high 4.3s to low 4.4s he is a lock imo as a 49er needs to bench press at least 18
Originally posted by Harbaalke:
Lets wait for his 40 time & bench press if he hits in the high 4.3s to low 4.4s he is a lock imo as a 49er needs to bench press at least 18

I would say he needs to be over 23
Needs some strength
We've had/have speedy guys to try to beat the Seahawks. QP, Kyle Williams, AJ Jenkins, are all quick feet and speedy and they all failed
It's not as easy as being fast. Especially when you play them more then once and they have time to adjust for you

Lets not forget Boldin in SF had 90+ yards vs them
Originally posted by solidg2000:

Needs some strength
We've had/have speedy guys to try to beat the Seahawks. QP, Kyle Williams, AJ Jenkins, are all quick feet and speedy and they all failed
It's not as easy as being fast. Especially when you play them more then once and they have time to adjust for you

would 20 be ok? the problem there is that Andy Reid likes Cooks sees him as a Desean Jackson without the drama and boy if that is true we got to trade up for the kid

Needs some strength

lol OLine guys where averaging around 23.
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:

Needs some strength

lol OLine guys where averaging around 23.

Lol yeah, dude is not hitting 23. 15 would be a very good number for a guy his size.
[ Edited by pwillis52beasty on Feb 22, 2014 at 11:52 AM ]
I said 18 he benched 16 not too shaby

No, not bad at all, pretty good actually for his weight. Receivers typically go from the high single digits to the low 20's, so he did very well.

No, not bad at all, pretty good actually for his weight. Receivers typically go from the high single digits to the low 20's, so he did very well.

Now if he hits 4.3s his stock is going to blow up
  • Andra
  • Veteran
Originally posted by HarbaughzDeep:
He is a pure slot receiver that lacks break away speed at the NFL level. Cooks is good in the open field but I wonder how he will get separation against press corners. He runs average routes and is also an average hand catcher.

Looking at a mid to late 2nd grade on him when it's all said and done. He should have stayed another year at Oregon State honestly.

I agree he was almost shut down completely by Oregon
  • DeUh
Originally posted by Andra:
Originally posted by HarbaughzDeep:
He is a pure slot receiver that lacks break away speed at the NFL level. Cooks is good in the open field but I wonder how he will get separation against press corners. He runs average routes and is also an average hand catcher.

Looking at a mid to late 2nd grade on him when it's all said and done. He should have stayed another year at Oregon State honestly.

I agree he was almost shut down completely by Oregon

He was also double or triple covered the entire game. Ekpre Olomu ( one of the best cornerbacks in college ) + a safety at all times. Only other reciever in college that drew so much attention was Matthews.
  • Andra
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DeUh:
He was also double or triple covered the entire game. Ekpre Olomu ( one of the best cornerbacks in college ) + a safety at all times. Only other reciever in college that drew so much attention was Matthews.

Good point