LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 259 users in the forums

Brandin Cooks- WR, Oregon St.

Anyone notice ESPN lists players as 1 inch shorter than most projections? I think they list cooks as 5'9 and Evans as 6'4.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Youngone:
Anyone notice ESPN lists players as 1 inch shorter than most projections? I think they list cooks as 5'9 and Evans as 6'4.

Cooks measured in 5096 which is 5´10 to me. Evans measured in 6046 which is 6´5 to me. Maybe someone is doing a traineeship at ESPN
tomorrow this young man will hear his name called and walk on stage to shake hands with the commissioner and put on the hat of his childhood team and the team his family has cheered on for generations.
Originally posted by sf_nicoya:
tomorrow this young man will hear his name called and walk on stage to shake hands with the commissioner and put on the hat of his childhood team and the team his family has cheered on for generations.

For two weeks now my gut has been telling me that the 49ers will indeed be trading up for him, I sincerely hope I'm right. I think he's polished enough to come right in and make a major impact on this offense. Considering Kaepernick's arm strength, Cooks is still a guy he's going to have a hard time overthrowing.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
For two weeks now my gut has been telling me that the 49ers will indeed be trading up for him, I sincerely hope I'm right. I think he's polished enough to come right in and make a major impact on this offense. Considering Kaepernick's arm strength, Cooks is still a guy he's going to have a hard time overthrowing.

You know I'm not the biggest supporter of the trade up for Cooks...but the one thing that would make me hopeful if they do get him is the consistent slowing down he had to do to catch the passes from his QB. He shouldn't have that problem with Kap throwing the ball.
Originally posted by genus49:
You know I'm not the biggest supporter of the trade up for Cooks...but the one thing that would make me hopeful if they do get him is the consistent slowing down he had to do to catch the passes from his QB. He shouldn't have that problem with Kap throwing the ball.

Defensive coordinators would have to make some real big boy decisions. Do you want to risk Cooks beating you and taking it to the house by playing the safety too far up? Do you risk VD getting loose in the open field and taking it to the house? Can you count on your CB to properly tackle Crabtree or Boldin 1-1 with the safety focused on Cooks instead. How long do you put up with being gashed by the run game before you put another guy back in the box.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on May 7, 2014 at 10:21 AM ]

Defensive coordinators would have to make some real big boy decisions. Do you want to risk Cooks beating you and taking it to the house by playing the safety too far up? Do you risk VD getting loose in the open field and taking it to the house? Can you count on your CB to properly tackle Crabtree or Boldin 1-1 with the safety focused on Cooks instead. How long do you put up with being gashed by the run game before you put another guy back in the box.

Damn the options are limitless...Just gotta worry about Roman then....
Originally posted by CWin4949:
Damn the options are limitless...Just gotta worry about Roman then....

Even Roman couldn't f**k that up short of making Cooks a blocker and sending Miller deep.
Even Roman couldn't f**k that up short of making Cooks a blocker and sending Miller deep.

inb4 the mad genius "they'll never see this coming!"

I agree with everything you have said, but are the 49ers going to realistically use more 3 wide receiver sets this upcoming season? Or will they stay true to their form with heavy doses of multiple TE formations? If WR is the goal I would lean more towards Beckham solely because he ads more in the return game this season. San Francisco really needs more from its special teams this season and Beckham would certainly help that (of 1st round choices).

The bang for your buck pick for San Francisco in round 1 may be at CB. If S.F. believes there is a 1st round CB talent available and attainable I think it would make a heck of a lot of sense to go that route as well.

Originally posted by bzborow1:
I agree with everything you have said, but are the 49ers going to realistically use more 3 wide receiver sets this upcoming season? Or will they stay true to their form with heavy doses of multiple TE formations? If WR is the goal I would lean more towards Beckham solely because he ads more in the return game this season. San Francisco really needs more from its special teams this season and Beckham would certainly help that (of 1st round choices).

The bang for your buck pick for San Francisco in round 1 may be at CB. If S.F. believes there is a 1st round CB talent available and attainable I think it would make a heck of a lot of sense to go that route as well.

I would certainly expect it. It makes for an interesting "chicken or the egg" debate. The 49ers have had some lousy receivers up until now so it wasn't surprising to not see them run a lot of 3 WR sets. I think their actions will be telling. If they move up for a guy like Cooks in the 1st round, there's no way he's not going to be seeing the field IMO. I think when you make that level of commitment to a player, its with the full expectation that he'll be out there making plays for you. I don't expect them to abandon the 2 TE and run-heavy packages but I do expect there to be more overall balance.
I like Cooks, but don't think the 49ers draft him. I like Roman, but wish he would find a way to run more quick passes, open up the offense, and change up the run game more.

I think it's a near certainty that the 49ers draft a burner and that Roman changes ... I just don't think it's Cooks in the first.

damn youtube deleted the best BC highlight video. FU YT!
Originally posted by sf_nicoya:
damn youtube deleted the best BC highlight video. FU YT!

This is a pretty good one, the official OSU video.

Share 49ersWebzone