LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 333 users in the forums

Brandin Cooks- WR, Oregon St.

Originally posted by Big_Daddy:
I'd rather have someone else taking hits from Cam Chancellor than Cooks...

I know it's been said he's durable, etc, but he hasn't faced NFC west defenses. I keep banging the table for Jordan Matthews at 30, i think he's built to play in our conference and he can take over for crabtree next year.

A new need for #Seahawks? Safety Kam Chancellor had hip surgery this offseason, will hope to be ready this preseason. But nothing is certain.

Chancellor cant cover and will be exposed with speed
Originally posted by jacklegniner:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by steiber:
He would give the speed element that the 49ers really need to put Earl Thomas on notice. With him, they can design plays that pulls thomas out of the middle of the field and opens it up for Davis and Mcdonald.

Yes, I'm glad you brought that up. If the 49ers added a guy like Cooks, nobody would be a bigger beneficiary I think than Davis. Right now he's the team's only deep threat, if you add Cooks into the mix, put him, Davis, Crabtree and Boldin out there on the field together, things will get scary for defense's pretty damn quick. Pick your poison, you don't have enough good defender's stop everybody, nor do you have the luxury of being able to double team any one receiver.
THIS!!!!!!!!!!! It's what I want so badly. Having all of those weapons on the field at the same time. And you can even throw in Kap's running ability as well. He was doing great against Seattle. They can't leave someone to spy on Kap all the time and it would probably open up the offense for more screen passes.

I hope Baalke and the staff have the same thought process. It makes sense that they would want that type of wr since they tried for Jenkins and failed. Cooks and Beckham Jr are more physical though and they return kicks.

We do need DB help but we can still get that in the mid rounds if we don't trade all of our picks.

We can keep doing all the WR talk we want, but last year Kap had Crab, Boldin and Davis.. three great players, and we still had a sh**ty passing game. We could have fitz, megatron, and gordon, but until kap can get the ball out to an OPEN receiver it doesn't matter if we draft Cooks or not..
Not being a downer, but what we need most is a CB and for Kap to develop his passing game. (and I think he eventually will)
Originally posted by tondiman:
We can keep doing all the WR talk we want, but last year Kap had Crab, Boldin and Davis.. three great players, and we still had a sh**ty passing game. We could have fitz, megatron, and gordon, but until kap can get the ball out to an OPEN receiver it doesn't matter if we draft Cooks or not..
Not being a downer, but what we need most is a CB and for Kap to develop his passing game. (and I think he eventually will)

Not a single vertical threat at WR. Add in a guy like a Cooks or Beckham, put him on the field with those guys and watch defense's get wrecked.
Originally posted by tondiman:

Not a single vertical threat at WR. Add in a guy like a Cooks or Beckham, put him on the field with those guys and watch defense's get wrecked.

Yup. It's not just about names. You have to have a combination of skills sets that complement one another. It's about matchups and making every player, and every area of the field, a threat.

Originally posted by Harbaalke:

Lol!!!

Now, if you listen closely, I could swear I heard someone say ......."bomb"...????
Originally posted by Harbaalke:

Do we really want to draft someone who gets jammed at the line like that?

If Roman doesn't wake up those defenses will be getting wrecked by Cooks' blocking as Bruce Miller is racing down the sidelines as our deep threat...
Originally posted by DeUh:
Still my overall favorite player this year.

You were with me on Roby too huh?

Could've used your support on the Watkins thread when I said Cooks was the best WR in the draft. Or did you mean favorite player the Niners have a realistic chance of getting?
I think Cooks is our target. Mike Evans will unfortunately most like likely be long gone. With Cooks, you get elite speed and production. I think he fits the offense perfectly too. I can see Roman sending him in motion and giving Kaep another read-option look. It's something Cooks is comfortable with that from OR St.

I know people like Beckam, but I don't see a guy worth trading up for.

Originally posted by strickac:
I think Cooks is our target. Mike Evans will unfortunately most like likely be long gone. With Cooks, you get elite speed and production. I think he fits the offense perfectly too. I can see Roman sending him in motion and giving Kaep another read-option look. It's something Cooks is comfortable with that from OR St.

The price for Beckham would be super steep, and I am not sure the team would move up nearly 20 spots to draft him. However, moving up 10 or so spots seems a little more realistic. Cooks will probably fall in that 18 to 23 area.
Edit
[ Edited by strickac on May 7, 2014 at 7:12 AM ]
Cooks is growing on me. I'm rooting for Cooks and Verrett in the 1st. We have the picks to do it, we just need the willpower and trading partners.
Originally posted by strickac:

Really? What have you seen from Roman so far in the last 3 years to give you that hope? Cuz if we're going by the last 3 years I can see Roman sending Cooks out there to block or act as a decoy as Bruce Miller is the primary target...

Whoever we draft be it Cooks or someone else who can threaten teams with his speed we'll need Greg Roman to wake up and open up things in the passing game. So far it hasn't happened and it has cost this team.

Need to hit it out of the park in this draft and get Roman to change things up in the passing game or it could be all for naught.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:
Originally posted by DeUh:
Still my overall favorite player this year.

You were with me on Roby too huh?

Could've used your support on the Watkins thread when I said Cooks was the best WR in the draft. Or did you mean favorite player the Niners have a realistic chance of getting?

Sammy Watkins

Career Stats
Rec 240 Yrds 3391 Avg 14.1 TD 27 + Rushing 339 Yrds TD 1

Combine
Height 6´1 Weight 211 Hand Size 9 5/8
40 Yrd Dash 4.43
10 Yrd Dash 1.54
Bench 16
Vertical 34
Broad 10´06"
20 Yrd Shuttle 4.34
3-Cone Drill 6.95

Will be a 21 year old rookie

Brandin Cooks

Career Stats
Rec 226 Yrds 3272 Avg 14.5 TD 24 + Rushing 340 Yrds TD 2
Combine
Height 5´10 Weight 189 Hand Size 9 5/8
40 Yrd Dash 4.33
10 Yrd Dash 1.53
Bench 16
Vertical 36
Broad 10´00"
20 Yrd Shuttle 3.81
3-Cone Drill 6.76

Will be a 21 year old rookie

I think it is a lot closer than people make it out to be. One put up those numbers with the help of Hopkins and Bryant. The other one put up those numbers while getting double covered, sometimes even triple covered.

Watkins will go higher because he is 6´1 and Cooks is 5´10 but when taking about pure talent I go with Steve Smith ehhh I mean Brandin Cooks. Especially when I take into consideration that it would cost significantly more to get Sammy Watkins.

I expect both to light it up at the pros.
[ Edited by DeUh on May 7, 2014 at 8:47 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone