There are 207 users in the forums

Brandin Cooks- WR, Oregon St.

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
Originally posted by Harbaalke:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I don't see the hype with this guy. He is really small. He doesn't play anywhere near his timed speed.

Timed speed = 4.33.

Play speed = 4.50.

He's not as fast or explosive as that timed speed would suggest. Not even on his best plays. His highlights.

1. He does play fast & explosive in my eyes and was constantly double teamed and still produced over Watkins & Evans who had better QB as well.

2. He is bigger, faster & more durable than Desean Jackson, Percy Harvin & Emmanuel Sanders NOT to mention a team player & great character

3. Didn't you say the same thing about Eric Reid last year? I'm pretty sure you wanted Cyprien over Reid

No. I liked Reid. Never liked Cyprien.

On Easter day? Really? I understand you may NOT like Cooks but I'll admit if he does NOT succeed in the NFL I will take the blame he is just a dynamic playmaker which we lack imo would be a good fit.
http://www.baysportsnet.com/day-one-49ers-draft-prospects-brandin-cooks-wr/#more-

Great article
http://www.stack.com/video/3482797555001/path-to-the-pros-2014-brandin-cooks/

Love the kids character would fit right in
http://ninerfans.com/49ers-gm-trent-baalke-may-pick-up-aldon-smiths-option/

49ers GM Baalke on Brandin Cooks: "You've got to determine: Does he play 5-9, or 6-ft." Me: Which is it? Baalke: "Watch the film." Ok, 6-ft
The more I watch him play the more I'm convinced that this is THE guy. He checks every box and brings exactly what we need at the WR position. I just can't bring myself to like Odell Beckham. Cooks is so much more explosive and better quick twitch. The only thing holding him back on film was his qb who terribly underthrew most balls and threw late consistently. If Cooks had Mettenberger at qb it wouldn't even be close.

- Elite Speed
- Elite Quickness
- Great Hands
- Elite YAC
- Return Ability
- Great Character

Mark my words, if we take Odell Beckham over Brandin Cooks it will be a big miss for Trent Baalke.

How is this guy not night and day more explosive than Odell Beckham?

Originally posted by 49oz2superbowl:
Mark my words, if we take Odell Beckham over Brandin Cooks it will be a big miss for Trent Baalke.

Yep.
Kaepernick to Cooks..... TOUCHDOWN!!

LOVE THE SOUND OF IT
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
We already have tough WRs with good size that catch well/block down field, blah blah blah. I still think Patton (as long as he doesn't get injured) is going to help make our WR core much better in 2014. You throw in a guy like Cooks into the mix, that's gonna spell disaster for all kinds of defenses (even the CAWK defense).

It's too bad Roman / Harbaugh's Elite-College-Type offense may not allow it ... $h!t has gotta change, like yesterday!!
The closer we get to the draft, the more strongly feel that the 49ers will select one of Cooks, Fuller or Verrett with their first pick.
He and Evans are the two WR's I'd trade up for. I like Beckham but not nearly as much as Cooks.

Cooks or Adams!
Baalke pointed to one player in this draft and one proven commodity to make a point. Brandin Cooks (Oregon State) measured at 5-9 ¾ and is considered a first-round draft pick. Smith was measured at 5-9 before the 2001 draft. Smith has rolled up 12,197 yards receiving in 13 NFL seasons.

“There’s so much uniqueness to each individual,” Baalke said. “What are their strengths and weaknesses? Brandin Cooks is vertically challenged. Now you’ve got to determine does he play 5-9 or does he play 6-foot? Because Steve Smith was 5-9, but he played 6-1. Right?

“There are good receivers that play small. There are 6-1 guys that play 5-foot-10. Can they go get the ball, play the ball? There are so many things that factor into it. Then you try to get them to marry into your system. Systems matter. Some people maybe don’t agree, but I’m a firm believer systems matter. That’s why our players tend to look similar at positions. There’s a reason for that.”
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
The closer we get to the draft, the more strongly feel that the 49ers will select one of Cooks, Fuller or Verrett with their first pick.

" Just the same way I said that Justin Hunter wasn't going to happen, I don't think Cooks is going to happen. He is truly special, when it comes to being a horrible, atrocious blocker. Bad technique and little to no effort to block, in this offense, where EVERY receiver blocks, not sure how he fits. Compared to the LSU guys who excel in pretty much every facet as receivers, I do think that Cooks leaves a bit to be desired. "

What changed your mind ?
[ Edited by DeUh on May 1, 2014 at 3:08 PM ]
Originally posted by DeUh:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Just the same way I said that Justin Hunter wasn't going to happen, I don't think Cooks is going to happen. He is truly special, when it comes to being a horrible, atrocious blocker. Bad technique and little to no effort to block, in this offense, where EVERY receiver blocks, not sure how he fits. Compared to the LSU guys who excel in pretty much every facet as receivers, I do think that Cooks leaves a bit to be desired.

What changed your mind ?

A few things have changed during the draft process:

1- we expressed serious interest in Desean Jackson (along with Edelman/Sanders) who is a similar speed wr who struggles in the blocking game
2- we extended Boldin, thus solidifying that our top 3 wr's are all possession receivers who lack the ability to take the top off of a defense

To your point about blocking: a true deep threat wr doesn't need to be a great blocker to be great in the run game. A deep threat wr commands attention from the safety and corner and can run 2 guys out of the play (or atleast out of the box). To really capitalize with a running offense you need to exploit the play-action matchup and to create a mismatch you need a player that can't be covered deep without safety help bc it forces the defense to either stack the box to stop the run or play out of the box to stop the home run.

It also has proven to be the Achilles heel of our biggest rival and biggest threat to the Super Bowl title. After seeing what TY Hilton did to the Seahawks we would be remiss to not add a comparable threat to our roster.
The remarks made about cooks is laughable yea 1 aspect he is weak compared to any his strengths which are positives than negatives. Half of the league should know Sherman cant tackle his lack effortless effort in the run game dont mean he is bad.
Share 49ersWebzone