There are 251 users in the forums

Brandin Cooks- WR, Oregon St.

Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
It's not that Cooks isn't talented, I just don't see him as a first round talent. Even on the fast-track, he doesn't look quite like a 4.33 player. I don't think he's as fast as he timed, and while his ST's contributions would be valuable, his deficiencies -- even if they are argued to be minimal -- in other areas lead me to look at him as more of a 2nd round guy.

I think if the 49ers want a "fast" receiver, they will go after one of the following:

1. Marqis Lee - Not afraid to be physical, and on the field you see he has the ability to get behind defenses. Terrific RAC ability.
2. Odell Beckham - I don't believe he's as fast as he timed either. Does have good RAC ability though and solid arm length.
3. Donte Moncrief - Fits the 49ers style & needs perfectly. Big, physical, and FAST. High-effort blocker. Separates and gets deep easily.
4. Robert Herron - Obviously fast, well-built for physical play, separates 1-on-1 well (something KW didn't do). Would compete in the slot.
5. Bruce Ellington - Clearly a great athlete with much upside at the WR position. Physical player too.
6. Martavis Bryant - 49ers could consider him a viable replacement to the Randy Moss skill set they lost: A tall, speedy downfield threat. They could consider him worth taking the time he'd need to develop while Boldin plays out his contract. Bryant is seen as a top level #2WR eventually, but he'll certainly need time.

I think we've agreed in the past that Cooks and Beckham just don't look exceptionally fast on the field. Because of our need, I very much want to believe in their timed speed, but there play has not supported that desire. I don't really see exceptional football speed out of Herron, either. They all seem fast, but not in any special way that defenses would need to fear. I agree that Moncrief and Bryant appear to possess that type of football speed, from the way they run by coverage and run away from tacklers (against good competition). Lee is tough to be sure about. I know he played hurt, but he might not get back to what he was before, or he might always be a bit dinged-up.

With Herron, some time ago I went back and wanted to take a 2nd look to see how his field speed compared, and he definitely looks faster on the field than both Beckham and Cooks. I compared his footage to Hilton, and he looked maybe a hair behind Hilton, but still quite fast.

I have the same apprehension about Lee. A definite boom or bust pick depending on how healthy he really is and/or can stay. If you get his sophomore form, you're going to get an elite threat at WR. If you get the nicked up 2013 Lee? You're basically getting a 3rd receiver at best. Personally, if we take Lee, I want us to take another WR early to 1) mitigate the risk if he doesn't pan out, and 2) add more talent and competition obviously. I want us to get a top-notch speed threat who is capable of being a legitimate starter in his career.

I would agree that Herron has more straight ahead speed than the other two, but he doesn't have that "WTF just happened" gear that Dri Archer, Tevin Reese, or Bryant (once he gets up to top speed) seem to have. I also hate that lazy hop move he does into some of his breaks. That said, I'd still be happy getting him in the third, if he lasts that long.
BraKing! RT @nickpepp: Cooks walked by, told him we wanted him. He looked at my 49er hat, smiled big and said "appreciate it."
@NinersNation Has some funny stories about coaching Harbaugh on the Chargers. Calls Cooks a very special playerre9er @NinersNation @nfldraftscout Just met OSU head coach Mike Riley (middle) talked Harbaugh and Brandin Cooks.

A connection going on
NFL.com's Gil Brandt mentioned that Oregon State WR Brandin Cooks reminds him of a "faster Wes Welker."

"Brandin Cooks working out today at Oregon State pro day. Reminds me of Wes Welker, only faster. Great kid. Going to be good NFL player," Brandt tweeted. Cooks ran a blazing 4.33 forty at the combine, which was the second fastest time by any player that attended. The explosion that Cooks showcased this season, has followed him to the Combine, as well as his Pro Day. Cooks has the ability to win inside and out, and with his type of explosiveness, he has the ability to take the top off a defense. The all-purpose weapon could hear his name called in the second half of the first-round.

Source: Gil Brandt on Twitter
It's not that Cooks isn't talented, I just don't see him as a first round talent. Even on the fast-track, he doesn't look quite like a 4.33 player. I don't think he's as fast as he timed, and while his ST's contributions would be valuable, his deficiencies -- even if they are argued to be minimal -- in other areas lead me to look at him as more of a 2nd round guy.

I think if the 49ers want a "fast" receiver, they will go after one of the following:

1. Marqis Lee - Not afraid to be physical, and on the field you see he has the ability to get behind defenses. Terrific RAC ability.
2. Odell Beckham - I don't believe he's as fast as he timed either. Does have good RAC ability though and solid arm length.
3. Donte Moncrief - Fits the 49ers style & needs perfectly. Big, physical, and FAST. High-effort blocker. Separates and gets deep easily.
4. Robert Herron - Obviously fast, well-built for physical play, separates 1-on-1 well (something KW didn't do). Would compete in the slot.
5. Bruce Ellington - Clearly a great athlete with much upside at the WR position. Physical player too.
6. Martavis Bryant - 49ers could consider him a viable replacement to the Randy Moss skill set they lost: A tall, speedy downfield threat. They could consider him worth taking the time he'd need to develop while Boldin plays out his contract. Bryant is seen as a top level #2WR eventually, but he'll certainly need time.

I think we've agreed in the past that Cooks and Beckham just don't look exceptionally fast on the field. Because of our need, I very much want to believe in their timed speed, but there play has not supported that desire. I don't really see exceptional football speed out of Herron, either. They all seem fast, but not in any special way that defenses would need to fear. I agree that Moncrief and Bryant appear to possess that type of football speed, from the way they run by coverage and run away from tacklers (against good competition). Lee is tough to be sure about. I know he played hurt, but he might not get back to what he was before, or he might always be a bit dinged-up.

With Herron, some time ago I went back and wanted to take a 2nd look to see how his field speed compared, and he definitely looks faster on the field than both Beckham and Cooks. I compared his footage to Hilton, and he looked maybe a hair behind Hilton, but still quite fast.

I have the same apprehension about Lee. A definite boom or bust pick depending on how healthy he really is and/or can stay. If you get his sophomore form, you're going to get an elite threat at WR. If you get the nicked up 2013 Lee? You're basically getting a 3rd receiver at best. Personally, if we take Lee, I want us to take another WR early to 1) mitigate the risk if he doesn't pan out, and 2) add more talent and competition obviously. I want us to get a top-notch speed threat who is capable of being a legitimate starter in his career.

I would agree that Herron has more straight ahead speed than the other two, but he doesn't have that "WTF just happened" gear that Dri Archer, Tevin Reese, or Bryant (once he gets up to top speed) seem to have. I also hate that lazy hop move he does into some of his breaks. That said, I'd still be happy getting him in the third, if he lasts that long.

I can certainly agree with that first comment. Those three probably have the best pure speed in the entire draft. However, the only one with real starting potential appears to be Bryant. Herron has very coachable adjustments to his game, and a decent WR coach I think could turn him into a consistent contributor at the very least.
the kid had his pro day today, but no real talk about it on nfl.com
Originally posted by LaMichaelJeff:

probably skipped the 40, and that's all they make a big deal over.

that's a shame. wanted to see how he did on drills.
Originally posted by 49er_Rider:
BraKing! RT @nickpepp: Cooks walked by, told him we wanted him. He looked at my 49er hat, smiled big and said "appreciate it."

Are you sure that he knew you were talking about the draft?

that's a shame. wanted to see how he did on drills.

He blew up most of the speed/agility drills. Not much chance to improve dramatically, but a poor showing would make people question his combine. Good draft strategy by him and his agent. Sucks for fans, though.

Are you sure that he knew you were talking about the draft?

Cooks seems to be the kind of guy we need. Question is can cap deliver the ball to a #3 wr with speed. See Ted Ginn
Originally posted by 49er_Rider:
@NinersNation Has some funny stories about coaching Harbaugh on the Chargers. Calls Cooks a very special playerre9er @NinersNation @nfldraftscout Just met OSU head coach Mike Riley (middle) talked Harbaugh and Brandin Cooks.

A connection going on

Good to know their is a connection with Harbaugh and Mike Riley & Brandin Cooks it really helped last year with a connection with Eric Reid

The only possibility to get Cooks imo is trading with the Ravens at #17 who have 4 picks in the draft (possibility) in front of the Jets who want him as well
pro day video

http://oregonstate.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1620292

Share 49ersWebzone