There are 286 users in the forums

Brandin Cooks- WR, Oregon St.

Originally posted by K1ngCoopa24:
You don't necessarily need big size to even be #1 receiver on a team, much less the number 2 guy. Desean Jackson is about the same size and he's the number 1 receiver for The Eagles. Cooks is someone I really hope we go after in the first round. We need speed on offense, and he definitely has that and much more.

Agree completely!
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Matthews and Cooks in the same draft would be a dream come true.

Justin Gilbert, Brandon Cooks, & Jordan Matthews would make me stoked but to trade up for Gilbert wed have to give up the picks we would select those two at.

Imagine Boldin & Crabs blocking on a reverse this KID is DYNAMIC fights for the ball for a small WR feisty & returns kicks looks dangerous with the ball in his hands. what is NOT to love the speed is on the field
Originally posted by NTeply49:
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Matthews and Cooks in the same draft would be a dream come true.

Justin Gilbert, Brandon Cooks, & Jordan Matthews would make me stoked but to trade up for Gilbert wed have to give up the picks we would select those two at.

If Baalke would manage to get those 3 (or sub Matthews for Moncrief; either/or), I'd consider this draft a grand slam and would be ecstatic about our draft and future.
When I say too small, I'm not just talking about his height. He has short arms. Some of the smallest hands in the draft. And he plays small. He doesnt get up to meet the ball. He has a very small catch radius. You need a QB that can deliver the ball on point. He is not as dynamic in the open field as you would think he would be based on his speed because he shys away from contact. He plays like a little guy.

Again, I'm not saying he can't be a 1000 yard receiver in the NFL. I think on the Patriots he could probably do that his rookie year. On the 9ers, he'd be the 3rd WR projected to play in the slot. Which 49er receiver had the third most catches last season? Kyle Williams with 12 catches. This isn't a spread offense with multiple 3 WR formations. A slot receiver is not that important in this offense. I would love to have a great one, but why spend a 1st round pick on a guy that might see 10% of the snaps on offense. There are corners on the board that could start. It's time to win now.
he is my draft crush. we need speed, he offers that. We need return help, he can contribute there too.
reminds me like a receiver version of lamichael james.
4.33 in shorts running around at the combine.

4.50 on gameday. He looks more shifty and quick with good routes, good hands than long speed. He doesn't play to his timed speed at all. He should have a lot more long breakaway runs if he is really running 4.33 out there.
Originally posted by scooterhd:
When I say too small, I'm not just talking about his height. He has short arms. Some of the smallest hands in the draft. And he plays small. He doesnt get up to meet the ball. He has a very small catch radius. You need a QB that can deliver the ball on point. He is not as dynamic in the open field as you would think he would be based on his speed because he shys away from contact. He plays like a little guy.

Again, I'm not saying he can't be a 1000 yard receiver in the NFL. I think on the Patriots he could probably do that his rookie year. On the 9ers, he'd be the 3rd WR projected to play in the slot. Which 49er receiver had the third most catches last season? Kyle Williams with 12 catches. This isn't a spread offense with multiple 3 WR formations. A slot receiver is not that important in this offense. I would love to have a great one, but why spend a 1st round pick on a guy that might see 10% of the snaps on offense. There are corners on the board that could start. It's time to win now.
You watched more OSU games than I did but the things that you are saying seem to contradict what I am seeing on the highlights. First I understand that you are saying he is good so no disagreement there. But everytime I see him it looks like he is fighting for the ball. The QB couldn't hit him in stride. Every highlight has Cooks waiting for the ball or out-jumping a db or safety to go and get it. To me, he looks like the most exciting guy to watch of all the wr's.

Whether or not we go for him...

I'm just tired of seeing Vernon Davis as our deep threat. We need a guy like this doing end-arounds and bubble screens and quick slants, etc...
Originally posted by jacklegniner:

You watched more OSU games than I did but the things that you are saying seem to contradict what I am seeing on the highlights. First I understand that you are saying he is good so no disagreement there. But everytime I see him it looks like he is fighting for the ball. The QB couldn't hit him in stride. Every highlight has Cooks waiting for the ball or out-jumping a db or safety to go and get it. To me, he looks like the most exciting guy to watch of all the wr's.

I'm just tired of seeing Vernon Davis as our deep threat. We need a guy like this doing end-arounds and bubble screens and quick slants, etc...

It's not that Cooks isn't talented, I just don't see him as a first round talent. Even on the fast-track, he doesn't look quite like a 4.33 player. I don't think he's as fast as he timed, and while his ST's contributions would be valuable, his deficiencies -- even if they are argued to be minimal -- in other areas lead me to look at him as more of a 2nd round guy.

I think if the 49ers want a "fast" receiver, they will go after one of the following:

1. Marqis Lee - Not afraid to be physical, and on the field you see he has the ability to get behind defenses. Terrific RAC ability.
2. Odell Beckham - I don't believe he's as fast as he timed either. Does have good RAC ability though and solid arm length.
3. Donte Moncrief - Fits the 49ers style & needs perfectly. Big, physical, and FAST. High-effort blocker. Separates and gets deep easily.
4. Robert Herron - Obviously fast, well-built for physical play, separates 1-on-1 well (something KW didn't do). Would compete in the slot.
5. Bruce Ellington - Clearly a great athlete with much upside at the WR position. Physical player too.
6. Martavis Bryant - 49ers could consider him a viable replacement to the Randy Moss skill set they lost: A tall, speedy downfield threat. They could consider him worth taking the time he'd need to develop while Boldin plays out his contract. Bryant is seen as a top level #2WR eventually, but he'll certainly need time.

Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by jacklegniner:

It's not that Cooks isn't talented, I just don't see him as a first round talent. Even on the fast-track, he doesn't look quite like a 4.33 player. I don't think he's as fast as he timed, and while his ST's contributions would be valuable, his deficiencies -- even if they are argued to be minimal -- in other areas lead me to look at him as more of a 2nd round guy.

I think if the 49ers want a "fast" receiver, they will go after one of the following:

1. Marqis Lee - Not afraid to be physical, and on the field you see he has the ability to get behind defenses. Terrific RAC ability.
2. Odell Beckham - I don't believe he's as fast as he timed either. Does have good RAC ability though and solid arm length.
3. Donte Moncrief - Fits the 49ers style & needs perfectly. Big, physical, and FAST. High-effort blocker. Separates and gets deep easily.
4. Robert Herron - Obviously fast, well-built for physical play, separates 1-on-1 well (something KW didn't do). Would compete in the slot.
5. Bruce Ellington - Clearly a great athlete with much upside at the WR position. Physical player too.
6. Martavis Bryant - 49ers could consider him a viable replacement to the Randy Moss skill set they lost: A tall, speedy downfield threat. They could consider him worth taking the time he'd need to develop while Boldin plays out his contract. Bryant is seen as a top level #2WR eventually, but he'll certainly need time.
My fear is that last time we did this we drafted Jenkins. He obviously didn't work out but most people on the zone constantly raved about guys like Stephen Hill, Michael Floyd, Brian Quick, Sanu, Nick Toon, Marvin Jones, Devon Wylie, etc... It's still early in their careers but these guys are kind of Meh to me.

As far as wr threats in the draft I myself liked what I saw in Coby Fleener and Alshon Jeffrey. Those picks got criticized a lot. "Jeffery was too "Fat" and Fleener was not worth a 1st rounder."

I really don't care about what round someone goes in, just as long as it equals more wins on Sunday or realistically helps the team. I like what I see in him and would be ecstatic if we got him.

I do like some of the guys on your list though.
ready for mach 7 pro day

I think we've agreed in the past that Cooks and Beckham just don't look exceptionally fast on the field. Because of our need, I very much want to believe in their timed speed, but there play has not supported that desire. I don't really see exceptional football speed out of Herron, either. They all seem fast, but not in any special way that defenses would need to fear. I agree that Moncrief and Bryant appear to possess that type of football speed, from the way they run by coverage and run away from tacklers (against good competition). Lee is tough to be sure about. I know he played hurt, but he might not get back to what he was before, or he might always be a bit dinged-up.
i know they have different skill sets, but id like to see Cooks and DeAnthony race 40 yards in pads.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:

I think we've agreed in the past that Cooks and Beckham just don't look exceptionally fast on the field. Because of our need, I very much want to believe in their timed speed, but there play has not supported that desire. I don't really see exceptional football speed out of Herron, either. They all seem fast, but not in any special way that defenses would need to fear. I agree that Moncrief and Bryant appear to possess that type of football speed, from the way they run by coverage and run away from tacklers (against good competition). Lee is tough to be sure about. I know he played hurt, but he might not get back to what he was before, or he might always be a bit dinged-up.

With Herron, some time ago I went back and wanted to take a 2nd look to see how his field speed compared, and he definitely looks faster on the field than both Beckham and Cooks. I compared his footage to Hilton, and he looked maybe a hair behind Hilton, but still quite fast.

I have the same apprehension about Lee. A definite boom or bust pick depending on how healthy he really is and/or can stay. If you get his sophomore form, you're going to get an elite threat at WR. If you get the nicked up 2013 Lee? You're basically getting a 3rd receiver at best. Personally, if we take Lee, I want us to take another WR early to 1) mitigate the risk if he doesn't pan out, and 2) add more talent and competition obviously. I want us to get a top-notch speed threat who is capable of being a legitimate starter in his career.
Share 49ersWebzone