LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 195 users in the forums

Brandin Cooks- WR, Oregon St.

• Buchy
  • Veteran
This guy was my draft crush before the combine and I wanted us to pick him up in the 2nd but iot now looks like he'll be a 1st round pick.

I had mocked a draft where we took Benjamin in the first and then Brooks in the second - can't see that happening and it looks like we're going to give Baldwin a chance as a red zone target (assuming Roman get's his head out of his ass).

Would love to take Cooks and Dri Archer, give us a real speed and we could potentially line up Cooks outside and Archer in the slot at some point.
Cooks is becoming more of a possibility now that Safety is out for the 1st round pick by trading up
Originally posted by Harbaalke:
Cooks is becoming more of a possibility now that Safety is out for the 1st round pick by trading up

We could get him, but I'm still not certain he's worth the trade up. He looks fast on the field, but not 4.3 fast, IMO. He doesn't appear to blow the doors off of the DBs, like that kind of speed would suggest. I think he'll be good, for sure. I see a lot of, "damn, he's quick!" in his game, but not a lot of, "damn, he's fast!" Would still be pumped if we got him.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
depends on which CB we sign.
As an OSU alum and someone thats watched him every game, I have to say pass on him in the first round. I love this kids character. He is obviously fast, but he also runs incredible routes. He has good hands. Everything you want, but he's just not a first round pick. He's too small to be a #1 or #2 wideout. He's going to work the slot and get open a ton I'm sure, but he's not as good after the catch as you would expect. In college, he underachieved on special teams. And most importantly, his catch radius is tiny. You need an accurate QB and a system that runs alot of 3 WR sets to take advantage of Cooks. see Manning, Brady, etc.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:

We could get him, but I'm still not certain he's worth the trade up. He looks fast on the field, but not 4.3 fast, IMO. He doesn't appear to blow the doors off of the DBs, like that kind of speed would suggest. I think he'll be good, for sure. I see a lot of, "damn, he's quick!" in his game, but not a lot of, "damn, he's fast!" Would still be pumped if we got him.

I think his speed during the game was hard to recognize since he was always doubled alot but as 3rd option with the 49ers it would be more 1 on 1 matchups and his speed will show imo
Originally posted by Hopper:

Revis

Wright?
  • sfout
  • Veteran

Revis

LOL

Wright?

Already happened.

I'm now hoping for something nuts. Captain Munnerlyn as our slot CB. 932 snaps only 3 missed tackles, 2 INTs both returned for TDs, 12 PDs overall.. but this is a thread about Cooks.

Right now I'm thinking a trade up for a WR or Justin Gilbert is real possibility.
[ Edited by sfout on Mar 11, 2014 at 11:06 PM ]

He does not look as fast as his combine speed suggests in the games IMO. I would definitely say that is true also. Like VD he also seems to jump up for every catch. This slows you down a lot. The DB's can catch up and make the tackle. I wish he would just keep running full speed and catch it in stride. I'm not sure about Cooks. There are little things he does that make me think he will be good but not great in the NFL. I think he is a little overrated on the WZ. He is a little guy who does not play to his timed speed. I'm not entirely sure he is worth a trade up or even a stay put pick at #30?

Originally posted by scooterhd:
As an OSU alum and someone thats watched him every game, I have to say pass on him in the first round. I love this kids character. He is obviously fast, but he also runs incredible routes. He has good hands. Everything you want, but he's just not a first round pick. He's too small to be a #1 or #2 wideout. He's going to work the slot and get open a ton I'm sure, but he's not as good after the catch as you would expect. In college, he underachieved on special teams. And most importantly, his catch radius is tiny. You need an accurate QB and a system that runs alot of 3 WR sets to take advantage of Cooks. see Manning, Brady, etc.

Steve Smith would disagree with you there.

Originally posted by LaMichaelJeff:
Originally posted by scooterhd:

Steve Smith would disagree with you there.

yeah, but Brandin Cooks doesn't seem "bite your ear off and talk to it all day" crazy
yeah, but Brandin Cooks doesn't seem "bite your ear off and talk to it all day" crazy

lol no, but he's tough as nails. to say he's too small to even be a #2 is ridiculous IMO. dude won the biletnikoff for a reason
Draft crush!!
Originally posted by LaMichaelJeff:

lol no, but he's tough as nails. to say he's too small to even be a #2 is ridiculous IMO. dude won the biletnikoff for a reason

You don't necessarily need big size to even be #1 receiver on a team, much less the number 2 guy. Desean Jackson is about the same size and he's the number 1 receiver for The Eagles. Cooks is someone I really hope we go after in the first round. We need speed on offense, and he definitely has that and much more.
Share 49ersWebzone