There are 163 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Brandin Cooks- WR, Oregon St.

Originally posted by thl408:
Good points. Runoffs are effective when the run goes away from that WR (other side of the field). A WR can't runoff a defender if the run is going to his side. I understand a WR's primary job is to run good routes and catch, but in this offense, there should be an added emphasis on whether he can block in the run game. This is what makes Boldin/Crabs the complete WRs that they are. It's not a deal breaker on whether a WR would be drafted or not by the 49ers, but it should be considered more so than a WR drafted by the Saints or Falcons (heavy pass first teams). Anyway, thanks for the info on Cooks. From what you guys are saying, it appears he's a below average blocker.

I'd say a very small, short armed receiver who is not interested in blocking is worse than a below average blocker but that's just me. Maybe below average is the lowest you rate players. We do need more speed on offense to open up the running game so I wouldn't hate taking Cooks at 30. There is no way I would trade up for him though and I'd still consider Beckham who seems like a more willing blocker and has much better length which helps there.
Brandin Cook's combine definitely validated everything I saw on All 22 tape. He is the fastest wr in this draft class (fastest 60 yd dash ever recorded) and possesses elite quickness/explosion. He still will need to work on his blocking but I feel that his ability to stretch the field will help mitigate his lack of blocking ability, especially with our use of Play Action. Between him and Vernon Davis, defenses will not be able to stack the box against us which will make both the running and passing game more effective. I think we need to use him much like the Steelers use Atonio Brown and get him in motion, wr screens, and reverses. Get him the ball in some capacity atleast 5 times a game and he will open up our offense.
Originally posted by 49oz2superbowl:
Brandin Cook's combine definitely validated everything I saw on All 22 tape. He is the fastest wr in this draft class (fastest 60 yd dash ever recorded) and possesses elite quickness/explosion. He still will need to work on his blocking but I feel that his ability to stretch the field will help mitigate his lack of blocking ability, especially with our use of Play Action. Between him and Vernon Davis, defenses will not be able to stack the box against us which will make both the running and passing game more effective. I think we need to use him much like the Steelers use Atonio Brown and get him in motion, wr screens, and reverses. Get him the ball in some capacity atleast 5 times a game and he will open up our offense.

Thats exactly what this offense needs is speed and Cooks by far can contribute as the #3 and return kicks as well imo. I understand his blocking ability is below average but so is Tavon Austin which I think Cooks is a better overall WR
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
Originally posted by thl408:
Good points. Runoffs are effective when the run goes away from that WR (other side of the field). A WR can't runoff a defender if the run is going to his side. I understand a WR's primary job is to run good routes and catch, but in this offense, there should be an added emphasis on whether he can block in the run game. This is what makes Boldin/Crabs the complete WRs that they are. It's not a deal breaker on whether a WR would be drafted or not by the 49ers, but it should be considered more so than a WR drafted by the Saints or Falcons (heavy pass first teams). Anyway, thanks for the info on Cooks. From what you guys are saying, it appears he's a below average blocker.

I'd say a very small, short armed receiver who is not interested in blocking is worse than a below average blocker but that's just me. Maybe below average is the lowest you rate players. We do need more speed on offense to open up the running game so I wouldn't hate taking Cooks at 30. There is no way I would trade up for him though and I'd still consider Beckham who seems like a more willing blocker and has much better length which helps there.

I'm not gonna pretend like I know anything about this guy so that's why I asked posters here how Cooks looked run blocking. I just noticed his small stature and wondered how big he played.

Originally posted by 49oz2superbowl:
Brandin Cook's combine definitely validated everything I saw on All 22 tape. He is the fastest wr in this draft class (fastest 60 yd dash ever recorded) and possesses elite quickness/explosion. He still will need to work on his blocking but I feel that his ability to stretch the field will help mitigate his lack of blocking ability, especially with our use of Play Action. Between him and Vernon Davis, defenses will not be able to stack the box against us which will make both the running and passing game more effective. I think we need to use him much like the Steelers use Atonio Brown and get him in motion, wr screens, and reverses. Get him the ball in some capacity atleast 5 times a game and he will open up our offense.

Where did you get access to the all22? TIA
Stud! Can catch anything, and damn he's quick. Stockton kid!
Plays alot like Steve Smith me like
Originally posted by 49er_Rider:
Plays alot like Steve Smith me like

A bunch of people have made the Steve Smith comparisons, but I don't see it. Cooks is nowhere near as tough as Steve Smith.

I think he's closer to Desean Jackson. Equally dangerous, but just different strengths than Steve Smith.
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:
A bunch of people have made the Steve Smith comparisons, but I don't see it. Cooks is nowhere near as tough as Steve Smith.

I think he's closer to Desean Jackson. Equally dangerous, but just different strengths than Steve Smith.

This. Steve Smith is a badass run blocker and body slams mofos....Cooks not so much. I do like Cooks though
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:
A bunch of people have made the Steve Smith comparisons, but I don't see it. Cooks is nowhere near as tough as Steve Smith.

I think he's closer to Desean Jackson. Equally dangerous, but just different strengths than Steve Smith.

This. Steve Smith is a badass run blocker and body slams mofos....Cooks not so much. I do like Cooks though

It's not because of his run blocking it's how he catchs, just throws his body to make it, Djackson doesn't do that if it's not perfect than forget it im not diving. That being sad he's go big dog in little body syndrome I like the kid think he will be a good player.
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:
Originally posted by 49er_Rider:
Plays alot like Steve Smith me like

A bunch of people have made the Steve Smith comparisons, but I don't see it. Cooks is nowhere near as tough as Steve Smith.

I think he's closer to Desean Jackson. Equally dangerous, but just different strengths than Steve Smith.

Agree, I see no Steve Smith. Been saying all season, but he reminds me of Antonio Brown.
Bit miffed he did so well, he's been the guy I wanted us to go for with our first round pick without having to trade up, it may be that we need to given his performance.
Rather have size AND speed. Moncrief is that.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Rather have size AND speed. Moncrief is that.

We can get both.
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:
Originally posted by 49er_Rider:
Plays alot like Steve Smith me like

A bunch of people have made the Steve Smith comparisons, but I don't see it. Cooks is nowhere near as tough as Steve Smith.

I think he's closer to Desean Jackson. Equally dangerous, but just different strengths than Steve Smith.

Agree, I see no Steve Smith. Been saying all season, but he reminds me of Antonio Brown.

Any of those 2 are good comparison they play bigger than their size. Cooks needs to be a 49er
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Agree, I see no Steve Smith. Been saying all season, but he reminds me of Antonio Brown.

Antonio Brown is a pretty good comparison. If anything I think Cooks will be over-drafted now. I see him as a guy with early 2nd round value but the Combine hype will carry him up the boards.