LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 317 users in the forums

Justin Ellis-NT-Louisiana Tech

This big guy has had a big week. He's been very impressive at the EW Shrine practices and now has been invited to the Senior Bowl. Massively built at 6'1", 350 but with relatively quick feet, he's had a very good week thus far and looks to be a mid to late round draft pick at this point. He plays through the whistle, doesn't give up on plays, has pretty good leverage and shows quick, violent hands. Definitely a guy on the radar worth watching further. The most impressive thing is that for a guy his size, he doesn't seem to quit, he doesn't seem to wear down as fast as some others, he's pretty relentless and that is a great thing to see in a DT his size. He'd probably be better off dropping some weight for the NFL but even at 330ish he's got the ability to be pretty ferocious.

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
This big guy has had a big week. He's been very impressive at the EW Shrine practices and now has been invited to the Senior Bowl. Massively built at 6'1", 350 but with relatively quick feet, he's had a very good week thus far and looks to be a mid to late round draft pick at this point. He plays through the whistle, doesn't give up on plays, has pretty good leverage and shows quick, violent hands. Definitely a guy on the radar worth watching further. The most impressive thing is that for a guy his size, he doesn't seem to quit, he doesn't seem to wear down as fast as some others, he's pretty relentless and that is a great thing to see in a DT his size. He'd probably be better off dropping some weight for the NFL but even at 330ish he's got the ability to be pretty ferocious.

funny i dont think he looks an ounce over 325 lbs
does this mean it is over between you and Mr. Mister Cobble?
[ Edited by hofer36 on Jan 18, 2014 at 11:41 AM ]
Originally posted by hofer36:
funny i dont think he looks an ounce over 325 lbs
does this mean it is over between you and Mr. Mister Cobble?

Hell no. I'd love to see Tomsula work him, Ellis any of these guys with massive bodies but quick feet, good hands...etc.
Quick question, do the Niners actually need a huge NT with Ian Williams coming back and Dorsey and TJE playing lights out?
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Quick question, do the Niners actually need a huge NT with Ian Williams coming back and Dorsey and TJE playing lights out?

I think it doesn't hurt. Williams has a short term deal, Dorsey has a short term deal, TJE is nice depth to have, but he'll last as long as RJF did, and then run off into the distance to chase some big bucks. I've always been in favor of having a monster NT that can stuff the run up the middle, a guy you play a couple downs, have him occupy multiple blockers...etc. It takes awhile to develop an NT and seeing how many picks the 49ers have total, how well Tomsula has done with other late round picks, undrafted guys, I'd be interested to see the 49ers add that dimension to their defense.

Another guy that has done very well at the E/W practices is Bruce Gaston out of Purdue, not as massive as Ellis but another prospect worth taking a look at as a potential NT.
NFL Media analyst Daniel Jeremiah, who has taken over the NFL Network Twitter account during the game, says he is hearing good things about Louisiana Tech defensive lineman Justin Ellis.

Teams that run the 3-4 really like La Tech NT Justin Ellis. 351 pound dude that can anchor vs double teams.

Ellis could be a guy like Wilfork in big size but quick feet. With so many teams needing that anchor in the middle, probably not making it out of the second round. You know the Texans at the top of the third might grab him right away
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Ellis could be a guy like Wilfork in big size but quick feet. With so many teams needing that anchor in the middle, probably not making it out of the second round. You know the Texans at the top of the third might grab him right away

I don't think he'll move up that far, there's a lot of prospects I can see going before him. He was looking like an undrafted guy, very late round guy, with a good offseason I could see him moving up into the middle-late rounds, late 4th would be his ceiling IMO. If you look at Scouts Inc, they had him about 40 spots down for DT's overall with plenty of NT types in front of him. Beau Allen of Wisconsin helped himself a lot, he's a guy who could move up into the 5th round even. Very good size, nonstop motor, is a natural 2 gap defender, I'd be happy with him as well.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 18, 2014 at 5:33 PM ]
added to Senior Bowl.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
added to Senior Bowl.

I saw that, will be nice to see more of him, Desir, Lawson and Garoppolo.

Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Niners need to stop Marshawn Lynch. So a NT dedicated to that would be a good investment.
At 6-1, he will be restricted to nose guard in our D. Nice find
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
he's small... we want a NT that's 6'8, 553 pounds and can move like a Gazelle
Continues to impress at the Senior Bowl practices, his first step is ridiculously quick and he typically gets a jump on blockers and has momentum going against them right away. He's been making himself a lot of money over the past few weeks, will only continue to move up the draft boards.
I was looking at options to move up to grab Nix. I like the value of Ellis much better. The Niners need a bigbody to free up the LB and take pressue off of the DE.

I like his potential a lot.
Share 49ersWebzone