There are 248 users in the forums

Keith Wenning-QB-Ball State

He has looked pretty good, been sharp with good accuracy at the East West Shrine Game practices. With a good build at 6'3", 225, he has shown very good touch on his throws and enough arm strength to get the ball downfield quickly. He's someone who was expected to go undrafted but now might end up as a late pick in the draft. He's certainly been turning heads and has been the most impressive QB on the West team. Definitely a guy worth keeping an eye on.

[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 18, 2014 at 11:03 AM ]
What do you think about Brett Smith from Wyoming? He seems like another mid round QB who could be a backup to Kaep.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
What do you think about Brett Smith from Wyoming? He seems like another mid round QB who could be a backup to Kaep.

Based on the likely range where he will be drafted, somewhere in the 3rd round, I'd rather take Aaron Murray a little further down the draft or Jimmy Garoppolo in the late 2nd. The only thing that I think is really hurting Garoppolo right now is the issue with him having some less than ideal sized hands. Wenning doesn't have that issue, he's got some huge freaking over-sized mitts. I think he'd be a decent prospect late in the draft to develop as a #3 QB long term.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Based on the likely range where he will be drafted, somewhere in the 3rd round, I'd rather take Aaron Murray a little further down the draft or Jimmy Garoppolo in the late 2nd. The only thing that I think is really hurting Garoppolo right now is the issue with him having some less than ideal sized hands. Wenning doesn't have that issue, he's got some huge freaking over-sized mitts. I think he'd be a decent prospect late in the draft to develop as a #3 QB long term.

Wenning looks good on the YouTube highlights and looks like he has the measurables. Garoppolo is definitely showing well today at the East West game. Murray would be a great pickup in the 4th or later. David Fales is also a possibility in the 4th or 5th round. Our backup situation would be much better with any of these prospects in the fold.
Wenning looks good on the YouTube highlights and looks like he has the measurables. Garoppolo is definitely showing well today at the East West game. Murray would be a great pickup in the 4th or later. David Fales is also a possibility in the 4th or 5th round. Our backup situation would be much better with any of these prospects in the fold.

Garoppolo is playing heads and shoulders above everyone else, I'm excited to see him at the Senior Bowl, if he keeps it up, first round status is not out of the question.
Garappolo creating quite a buzz this week, and really looks sharp in the game. Crisp throws, very decisive. Good looking prospect. Happy he is invited to the Senior Bowl. Could be a surprise second rounder, or even sneak in the back end of the first round with a team that trades up.
I have heard a few draft analysts call this guy "the steal of the draft". Here's some articles with his stats from college, some comments and some videos:

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2013/12/27/5248168/scouting-the-draft-keith-wenning-qb-ball-state

http://standingosports.com/main/2013/10/26/scouting-report-ball-state-qb-keith-wenning/
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Garappolo creating quite a buzz this week, and really looks sharp in the game. Crisp throws, very decisive. Good looking prospect. Happy he is invited to the Senior Bowl. Could be a surprise second rounder, or even sneak in the back end of the first round with a team that trades up.

Apparently he is a little inconsistent with his footwork, but when he's on his game, he's lights out. If he has another good week in Mobile, I think he could end up as a late 1st rounder.
Share 49ersWebzone