There are 115 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

No C or OG early

I think ultimately, none of us know how the coaching staff feels about Kilgore at this point. He came in as a very raw offensive guard out of Appalachian State, he had some technique issues, need to improve his overall awareness but by all accounts, he had a very solid base to build from and has had plenty of time to sit back and learn. Only the coaching staff truly knows if he "gets it" or not. By this point it should be very clear and if he does, then I doubt center is much of a priority at all other than someone in the later rounds to have as depth.

The one thing that was constantly written about Kilgore is that the guy is tough as nails, a real hard-ass, mean, chip on the shoulder, I'd love to see him come in and do well and knock some people around.

This is from his ESPN draft profile:

"Mauler that blocks through the whistle and can block more than one defender on one play. Plays with a chip on his shoulder and can get under defenders' skin. Didn't back down from challenge of playing at Florida senior year. Plays with the same intensity regardless of the score."
Kilgore mic'd up. Dude actually sounds pretty funny, just a big old country boy. He also held his own pretty well against the Chiefs there.

http://www.49ers.com/video/videos/Micd-Up-OL-Daniel-Kilgore-vs-Chiefs/794ebd6d-7905-47bc-bfd9-97163bab3f76

I can see Kilgore coming and making a huge impact the same way Boone has done. The attitude seems to be correct, by all accounts he's been working his ass off over the past 2 offseasons, basically working in wherever the 49ers needed him, guard, center, tackle, long-snapper and so on. I don't have any reason right now to doubt that this guy will be a credible starter at center in the NFL.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 18, 2014 at 10:34 AM ]
The draft is seldom based on immediate needs. Any need for a starter will likely come from FAcy or within the team...which means losing a FA will call for a draft choice to fill depth or, if the guys currently used for depth are not good enough to move up, they need to strengthen that depth AND add a starter as they did with Reid and Dahl last year. The key FAs this coming off-season:

Whitner--Is Reid ready to tutor a top draftee? Or is Spillman/Dahl capable of filling? I see a top draft choice used here.
Goodwin--Is Kilgore or Looney ready? The coaches likely know but we don't. If they are ready a draft choice has to be used for depth...unless he resigns.
Boldin--Patton is not likely ready to be a starter and Manningham is too oft injured and is a FA. Without Boldin this team sinks quite a bit. The team needs to let Manningham go to build up more dependable depth. I would try to sign Boldin and draft a couple of top ten WRs to compete. If they can't keep Boldin they may need to trade up or sign another FA.

It's important to consider the leadership roles of players like Whitner and Goodwin. They make many of the decisions for their units and the team must be able to fill that need, not just the physical aspects. Very few rookies can step in and make those calls...if Reid can do it then Whitner may be expendable. Same with Kilgore/Looney and Goodwin.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Jan 18, 2014 at 12:46 PM ]
Question: I've noticed that Goodwin doesn't get much help unless the NT is a top tier guy and getting push up the middle. Yet Goodwin left the middle open last week while helping the LG. I did not notice who was in at LG at the time but it seemed odd to me that Goodwin wouldn't just drop a step and watch. So...a question to those who watch the OLine carefully, what philosophy is being used for pass blocking in SF? Once in a while I see a traditional pocket, but more often than not they seem to be trying to maintain the line of scrimmage. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated as I don't know exactly what current schemes are in vogue.
Kilgore will be our future center, pencil it in. He has done very well with his chances. But I agree with the premise of this thread, we dont need to draft a lineman early. But they should get another interior line prospect in rounds 3-5 for great value.
If Iupati can not be signed, and remains impacted by his injury we need a OG to immediately step in that is better than Snyder. So the issue will be whether Looney is legitimate at guard or if need to draft a quality OG to either start or backup Looney. Same issue is for Goodwin. Can Kilgore realistically replace Goodwin? If Kilgore can and Looney can then we can develop a backup. If neither of them can we either need to get a free agent or draft high for those positions.
I agree with you in not needing to draft high linemen. However if we do it will be a telling sign as to what our staff really thinks of them.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
My concern is that Snyder was the one who was starting in place of Iupati when he was injured. I find it hard to believe that they would not have started their best lineman with a week to prepare him. And if Snyder is the best backup.... then we really need to draft a center early!
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I think Tyler Larsen in the latter rounds makes sense. WR, CB and potentially safety are clearly the biggest needs, you're not drafting depth at those positions, you really are looking for starters, either immediately or shortly down the road. If the 49ers coaching staff is sold on Kilgore, then center nearly isn't as bad of a need. I think Larsen in the early to late 3rd round would be a good guy for depth and to develop as a starter should Kilgore not pan out.

As far as guard goes, I'm all in favor of taking one, or a guard/tackle hybrid in the latter rounds. Spencer Long of Nebraska still looks to represent some of the best value of any guard in the draft. He was a guy who was looking to be a 2nd rounder, a potential immediate starter at guard and now will free-fall down the draft boards due to his injury. If the 49ers take him, let him recover from his injury, take a red-shirt year even.....he would be a potentially credible replacement for Iupati should Looney not pan out.

I think Weston Richburg from Colorado St. has to be on the Niners radar, too. The Niners need to strengthen the C position to bring it up to speed with the rest of the line. Depending on what happens with Iupati's contract situation, the Niners may need to address the OG position early, too. My hope is Iupati takes a reasonable raise and extension so we keep him in place. We also need Looney to step up or find another solution as a backup because Adam Snyder ain't cutting it anymore.
Matt--I don't think any of us know what Kilgore and Looney can do, but they haven't taken the job from Goodwin. So, it might be time to draft someone who can be the undisputed starter in place of Goodwin. If Kilgore or Looney are able to take his place then we will see that in the draft...they will ignore the position or draft late for depth. Not sure, but drafting a third round true Center might be the same cost as promoting Looney or Kilgore down the road--Looney was a fourth rounder and Kilgore a fifth.
IMO OL depth is a pretty significant need. I personally would take one of each, C, G, OT. Im not sold on the depth at all, and with goodwin gone, Iupati possibly gone at the end of his contract, and snyder as a stop gap, we need three lineman IMO to replace them. I know many will say we dont need an OT, but im personally not fond of Boone having to move to OT when we are in a pinch. He i capable there when in a bind, but it turns the interior to s**t. Im still not sold on Kilgore, but im holding out faith, Looney i really dont have a lot of faith in period, and snyder, no thanks.

There was a drop off this season at OL and IMO it would be a smart proactive move to address the depth, and continue developing prospects.
  • buck
  • Veteran
here is what some are saying about our team needs

Top three needs for all 32 teams
San Francisco 49ers Record: 12-4
Team needs: WR, DL, CB
Analysis: The 49ers have two excellent possession wide receivers (Anquan Boldin, Michael Crabtree) but they could use an explosive, stretch-the-field playmaker at the position.
Justin Smith continues to play at a high level but he can't play forever.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000288658/article/2014-nfl-draft-order-top-three-needs-for-all-32-teams

i found their charts hard to read, but Draftek.com says, I think, we need
SS, WR, Center
http://www.drafttek.com/teamneeds2014.asp

1. Cornerback: The 49ers must address the secondary. Carlos Rogers could be released as a cap casualty, as he's struggled in the 2013.
Tarell Brown and Tramaine Brock can start next year, but San Francisco needs to add more corners. A first-round pick could even be used on the position.
2. Safety: While Carlos Rogers might be cut, the 49ers will want to retain Donte Whitner, whose contract expires in March.
If Whitner leaves, San Francisco will have to spend a Round 2-3 choice on someone new to start next to Eric Reid.
3. Wide Receiver: Anquan Boldin and Mario Manningham will both be hitting the market in March, so the 49ers must either re-sign Boldin or find a new No. 2 receiver.
4. Center: Jonathan Goodwin, who turned 35 in December, told the media that retirement has crossed his mind.
He's definitely the weak link up front at this stage of his career.
http://walterfootball.com/offseason2014sf.php

San Francisco 49ers
Top three needs —wide receiver, defensive line, cornerback
It would be fun to see what a speedball at wideout could do to evolve this offense, considering that Anquan Boldin and Michael Crabtree don't stretch the field and that Vernon Davis is still an inconsistent (but very good) playmaker downfield. The defense is suffering from some age up front, and the secondary could use some fresh blood. But they are otherwise loaded.
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/nfl-draft-report-updated-top-three-positional-needs-192945284--nfl.html
Originally posted by matt49er:
Scanning the mocks around here it seems like the majority think we need to draft a C/G early (some as high as the 2nd round, most in the 3rd). Is it that most don't think Kilgore/Looney are good enough to start for us? IMO those 2 should get the chance to compete for the starting job and we should take an interior lineman later in the draft (4th round at the highest). We've spent a bunch of time developing these players and the reality is we're going to have to let some good vets walk this off season.

I can't see us being able to extend Kaepernick, Crabtree, Aldon and Iupati AND bring back Boldin, Whitner, Dawson. I'm thinking we let Whitner and Brown walk and cut or trade Rogers making the defensive backfield and a future play maker at WR the priorities. Add in the fact that we should still continue to develop more depth on the DL with Justin getting older & Williams/Dorsey entering contract years, I just don't see why we would spend a high pick on an interior lineman this year, maybe next.
The 49ers have 7 picks in the 1st 4 rounds. We can draft 2 CB's, SS, WR
That leaves 3 more picks. We could draft a 3-4 DE, a 2nd WR , a Center. Whatever the 49ers want.

The 49ers know if they want an upgrade from Kilgore at Center or if they want to start him. If they want an upgrade we have plenty of picks to do it this draft.

I would pass on going after a guard even if they think Looney isn't good enough to start and they don't plan on resigning Iupati. We could draft a pup list guy like Spencer Long later and let him compete for the job the next year. If we need to spend a 1st or 2nd rounder on Iupati's replacement I would rather do it next year.
Originally posted by eonblue:
I would pick Yankey or Swanson with a 2nd. Kilgore and Looney may be the answer but behind Kilgore there's 0 depth. By drafting Swanson you're getting depth, competition,,and a high ceiling player. Not to mention drafting a center for depth is much more efficient than looking to FA. You're getting a young and driven player. With the way this Oline has developed a guy like Swanson becomes a 10 year starter. He literally can do everything. He was the focal point to Arkansas potent ruahing attack. He can single block the NT, pull, peel, and man block the 2nd level.

Boone and Iupati have contract years coming up. With all the key pieces that need resigning someone is going to hit FA. Most likely a guard and although we have solid depth wth Snyder and Looney we will need another body. Why not be proactive with the Oline? Drafting a guy like Yankey gives you a G/T that can pick snap in jumbo and swing T. I really think this could be a Harbaugh pick. Yankey is essentially tailor made for this system. If he comes into training camp and starts getting it you'll motivate the entire line.

Ultimately I think the Line needa a shake up. Not a replacement of players but some fresh air in the unit. And lets be honest we're losing Iupati next year so a guard just makes sense.

I like Yankey also, but I don't think we lose Iupati. We find a way to get him, Crabs, Aldon and Kaep signed IMO. I don't think Iupati will demand elite G money due to his down year this year and his desire to stay with the team.

Are you serious? A guy regarded as one of the best guards in the league won't command top dollar at his position?
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by eonblue:
I would pick Yankey or Swanson with a 2nd. Kilgore and Looney may be the answer but behind Kilgore there's 0 depth. By drafting Swanson you're getting depth, competition,,and a high ceiling player. Not to mention drafting a center for depth is much more efficient than looking to FA. You're getting a young and driven player. With the way this Oline has developed a guy like Swanson becomes a 10 year starter. He literally can do everything. He was the focal point to Arkansas potent ruahing attack. He can single block the NT, pull, peel, and man block the 2nd level.

Boone and Iupati have contract years coming up. With all the key pieces that need resigning someone is going to hit FA. Most likely a guard and although we have solid depth wth Snyder and Looney we will need another body. Why not be proactive with the Oline? Drafting a guy like Yankey gives you a G/T that can pick snap in jumbo and swing T. I really think this could be a Harbaugh pick. Yankey is essentially tailor made for this system. If he comes into training camp and starts getting it you'll motivate the entire line.

Ultimately I think the Line needa a shake up. Not a replacement of players but some fresh air in the unit. And lets be honest we're losing Iupati next year so a guard just makes sense.

I like Yankey also, but I don't think we lose Iupati. We find a way to get him, Crabs, Aldon and Kaep signed IMO. I don't think Iupati will demand elite G money due to his down year this year and his desire to stay with the team.

Are you serious? A guy regarded as one of the best guards in the league won't command top dollar at his position?

It's just wishful thinking...fans really want to believe our guys will take less money to stay here for some reason. If Andy Levitre can get 6 years/$48M, Iupati can too if not more. Hell, the Raiders have a s**t-ton of cap space the next few years and would love a guy like Iupati on their interior.