There are 133 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Jason Verrett-CB-TCU

Originally posted by Gore_21:
Phoenix, I mentioned many times Patton was one of my favorite players in the draft so I'm not putting a cap on him. I just think Boldin is back for 1-2 years and until then he is our likely #2 and Patton 3. I like Patton but until Boldin leaves (and as long as Crabtree is here) he doesn't have much shot at the #2. So I said #3 of the future I should have said until Boldin leaves but if he would after this year then yeah Patton could end up our #2 guy.

Side note: I agree, with guys like Patton there is always a place for them on a team like ours. Landry and Abbrederis are other guys who remind me of Patton. Maybe not exactly on the field but the attitude/that fight/toughness, etc.

I just don't see this team taking 2 WR's early, it'd be cool to see, but unless this offense radically changes, its going to remain essentially 3 WR's, 2 TE's...etc. I think one early is a definite, whether or not Boldin stays, beyond that, they need help at CB obviously, safety becomes critical if Whitner walks, depth on the offensive line. If they can keep Boldin, then a combo of Crabtree, Boldin and Patton will be a very good one, if they don't keep Boldin, then Crabtree, Patton and a rookie like Beckham, Robinson, Landry, Lee, Moncrief, Adams.....etc, would still be a very good combination. I do think Osgood stays, he has done outstandingly well on special teams and they won't want to regress in that area. I think Baldwin potentially ends up being cut, leaving this team with the need for 1-2 more WR's depending on what happens with Boldin .

I think you definitely need to add another WR later on in this draft, especially considering how deep it is and there are plenty of guys from Rounds 4-6 who will be very intriguing prospects. Someone like Ryan Grant out of Tulane I'd happily take, a TJ Jones out of Notre Dame, Robert Herron from Wyoming as a deep threat, Austin Franklin out of N.M. and more.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 18, 2014 at 10:44 AM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
At the start of the season, I never expected Verrett to be around for the 49ers but his range seems to be mid to late 1st round right now. As well as Dennard and Gilbert have played, I think Verrett has been somewhat overlooked. I'd take any of the former two but would also love to see Verrett in a 49ers uniform. He doesn't have the ideal size you want but is an absolute playmaker and a true ballhawk. He's consistently shut down some of the better receivers in college football and excels at playing the ball while it is in the air, leading to a multitude of pass deflections as well as interceptions. He's a tremendous athlete with the speed to match receivers deep down field. He needs to improve as a tackler and sometimes struggles to haul in interceptions. He gets plenty of interceptions as it is but it could be truly ridiculous with some better focus on securing the ball.

He's also a local guy, from Fairfield, played his first 2 years in college at Santa Rosa Junior College before transferring over.

I agree with your assessment of Verrett. I also like Pierre Desir.

Verrett and Desir have had excellent production in college.

In the table below Verrett's production seems to match the ranking given him by the experts.

[ Edited by buck on Jan 18, 2014 at 11:20 AM ]
Originally posted by buck:
I agree with your assessment of Verrett. I also like Pierre Desir.

Verrett and Desir have had excellent production in college.

In the table below Verrett's production seems to match the ranking given him by the experts.

Desir seems like he's made himself a lot of money at the EW Game. I was looking at him as a 4th rounder but with the way he has performed, he could be moving into the late 2nd round even. Another intriguing, big CB prospect.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Desir seems like he's made himself a lot of money at the EW Game. I was looking at him as a 4th rounder but with the way he has performed, he could be moving into the late 2nd round even. Another intriguing, big CB prospect.

Desir's 13 interceptions in 21 games is very impressive.

Apparently, based on reports from the Shrine Game, his intangibles are excellent.

If he shows well at the combine, he will continue to move up.

If we go with a cornerback in the first two rounds, I hope we take Verrett or Desir.
[ Edited by buck on Jan 18, 2014 at 11:30 AM ]
There was a temporary error. Please try back later.

That's really not true. Brown would have been a second round pick had the whole gun and pot thing not happened.
Originally posted by IdentityCrisis:
I'm actually hoping we take Verrett. In today's NFL ball skills are more important than ever and he truly plays the ball. However I also think the Niners prefer larger CBs still and I don't know that they'd be willing to pull the trigger on him in the 1st.

Either way I'm hoping for a CB in the 1st and a WR/S with our 2nds.

i looked it up and all our corners are between 5'10 and 6'0 Verrett is 5'10 hes the same size as all our other corners.
I don't even see a issue with his size.
At the start of the season, I never expected Verrett to be around for the 49ers but his range seems to be mid to late 1st round right now. As well as Dennard and Gilbert have played, I think Verrett has been somewhat overlooked. I'd take any of the former two but would also love to see Verrett in a 49ers uniform. He doesn't have the ideal size you want but is an absolute playmaker and a true ballhawk. He's consistently shut down some of the better receivers in college football and excels at playing the ball while it is in the air, leading to a multitude of pass deflections as well as interceptions. He's a tremendous athlete with the speed to match receivers deep down field. He needs to improve as a tackler and sometimes struggles to haul in interceptions. He gets plenty of interceptions as it is but it could be truly ridiculous with some better focus on securing the ball.

He's also a local guy, from Fairfield, played his first 2 years in college at Santa Rosa Junior College before transferring over to TCU.

We he be a good nickel corner on the slot receiver? Brock and Culliver can cover outside guys but we don't have a slot corner after FA. Someone who could cover outside and then move in to the slot in nickel would be great.
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
We he be a good nickel corner on the slot receiver? Brock and Culliver can cover outside guys but we don't have a slot corner after FA. Someone who could cover outside and then move in to the slot in nickel would be great.

Absolutely, very fluid hips, very quick, ideal guy to play in the slot but can also hang on the outside.
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:

Absolutely, very fluid hips, very quick, ideal guy to play in the slot but can also hang on the outside.

Lets hope he becomes a 49er
I sure hope this guy falls into the Niners lap at the end of the first. I love watching his tape, especially the LSU game. I think he could fill our slot perfectly
Who is a better fit for the Niners, Verrett or Fuller?
Or he could be the #2 WR of the future, or the #1 WR of the future, I always think its funny when people put a cap on a young player's ability before he's really gotten a chance to play. If Boldin leaves, I expect Patton to move into the #2 role, something I think he is well suited for and then draft someone to be the #3 WR, hopefully someone with some deep speed to stretch a defense out or insane catching ability ala....a Landry or Abbrederis. I expect them to draft a wide receiver high either way, if Boldin walks, then perhaps another WR in the 4th or 5th round for depth purposes. I also expect them to hold on to Osgood given his special teams performance this year, so even if Boldin walks, that second rookie wouldn't be seeing the field very much in this offense. There's also the outside chance that Manningham comes back or they bring someone like Josh Morgan in on the cheap.....another Baalke bargain bin dumpster diving special that none of us saw coming...ala Skuta perhaps?

1-Crabtree
2-Patton
3-Rookie
4-Rookie
5-Osgood

Going back to Verrett, when you have terrific talent, you take terrific talent, a guy like that you'll always find a way for him to contribute out on the field. If Verrett was a few inches taller and 10 pounds heavier we'd be talking about a guy who is a lock to be a Top 10 pick. His cover skills are outstanding, he's rarely out of position and when he is, he has the athleticism to make up for his error in a hurry. There aren't many defensive backs that you can generally say that about. The other thing I like about Verrett is that he's far from a finished product.

He went from Santa Rosa JC to TCU, he struggled early on with TCU, got beat a lot, he learned from his mistakes, improved, got even better this season and I expect that improvement to continue. It says to me that this guy has work ethic and dedication. There's always a place like that for a guy on an NFL roster. For 2014 I'd expect him to take over the nickelback role that Rogers has had which makes him a de facto starter on Fangio's defense. I think the upgrade in speed and coverage ability on smaller, quicker type receivers would be a huge upgrade for this defense. The Tavon Austion's, Golden Tate's, Wes Welker's...etc, you could match him up with them all the time.

There's also nothing that says that they can't take a second cornerback later on to develop. In every mock draft I've done, I've added two cornerbacks, figuring that both Brown and Rogers would be gone. Normally I've gone with a bigger cornerback such as Dennard or Gilbert first, followed by a smaller, slot type cornerback such as Ricardo Allen later on, but Verrett would be a tremendous selection and would allow them to pick someone later in the draft. someone more conventional to simply develop long-term.

Keith McGill is a BIG CB that I like a lot that needs some quality coaching but has all the tools to be a very good NFL CB, he could definitely be had later on to develop in case like you said, Culliver walks. Andre Hal of Vanderbilt, Lavelle Westbrooks of Georgia Southern, all guys who could be had a lot later as well.

*Also keep an eye on Jaylen Watkins out of Florida, he'll be at the Senior Bowl. He moved to free safety this season and dropped off the radar but for the NFL, he's still most likely to be a CB. He's got a solid build, great athleticism, a good tackler, very hard-working player who I expect to move up the boards a bit in the offseason.

This is a really good point. I have really liked the idea of Verrett to counter players like Austin or Percy Harvin for some time now.

Which would be a better combo?

Fuller (30) & EJ Gaines 3rd/4th
Verrett (30) & Keith McGill (or whoever) 3rd/4th?
Originally posted by Butter:
Who is a better fit for the Niners, Verrett or Fuller?

I like Verrett because of his speed and focus. He seems to maintain tight coverage even if the QB has an extended period of time to throw the ball. This of course would have helped in the NFCC.
If he were drafted by the Niners which i hope they do he would be perfect he can start off at the slot then slowly start to move him to the outside. He doesn't have good height i don't understand why every one keeps mentioning this. So what if hes not that tall Brock Brown Culliver Wright Rodgers all the corners we have are about his size. Verrett should be there hopefully at 30 i would take him there and move up in the 2nd round for a receiver that immediately starts to solve the CB WR position.