There are 182 users in the forums

Jason Verrett-CB-TCU

With all this off the field drama i don't think they draft Verrett unfortunately there going to have to draft Culliver and Aldon's replacement. This off the field drama probably threw off there whole draft strategy.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Raul98:
With all this off the field drama i don't think they draft Verrett unfortunately there going to have to draft Culliver and Aldon's replacement. This off the field drama probably threw off there whole draft strategy.

?

They can go Jason Verrett, WR, Phillip Gaines, Marcus Smith for example.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Brock and Culliver are pretty thick, physical and should be our outside guy next year. I think we need a slot guy anyways. Someone quicker who can keep up with the small fast slot guys. Not sure why Rogers is playing that roll this year I think Brown is our quickest guy and should have moved into the slot when we had 3 CBs out there. Rogers then moves to the outside. Anyways, I guess you could make a case that since Culliver is only signed through next year he could leave and we could be drafting for our future #2 (brock #1 likely) after he leaves. In that case maybe we want a bigger guy but if we are looking for a slot guy then Verrett will do fine. As for using a 1st on a slot guy in todays nfl with as much as you put a #3 out there it's not a big deal. Maybe back in the day when it was smash mouth football and only 2 wrs out there you wouldnt spend a 1st on a #3 qb but things have changed. I'd be interested in seeing how much we played 3 or more cb's this year. Would be appreciated if anyone can find that stat. Anyways, we haven't taken a CB in the 1st since 2002 with Rumph and I think we are about due. Patton could be our #3 of the future and I'd be fine with taking someone in the 2nd and competing him for the #3 role. Now if Boldin isn't back I would totally agree we need to take 2 wr's, 1 in the 1st and 1 in the 2nd or 3rd.

Or he could be the #2 WR of the future, or the #1 WR of the future, I always think its funny when people put a cap on a young player's ability before he's really gotten a chance to play. If Boldin leaves, I expect Patton to move into the #2 role, something I think he is well suited for and then draft someone to be the #3 WR, hopefully someone with some deep speed to stretch a defense out or insane catching ability ala....a Landry or Abbrederis. I expect them to draft a wide receiver high either way, if Boldin walks, then perhaps another WR in the 4th or 5th round for depth purposes. I also expect them to hold on to Osgood given his special teams performance this year, so even if Boldin walks, that second rookie wouldn't be seeing the field very much in this offense. There's also the outside chance that Manningham comes back or they bring someone like Josh Morgan in on the cheap.....another Baalke bargain bin dumpster diving special that none of us saw coming...ala Skuta perhaps?

1-Crabtree
2-Patton
3-Rookie
4-Rookie
5-Osgood

Going back to Verrett, when you have terrific talent, you take terrific talent, a guy like that you'll always find a way for him to contribute out on the field. If Verrett was a few inches taller and 10 pounds heavier we'd be talking about a guy who is a lock to be a Top 10 pick. His cover skills are outstanding, he's rarely out of position and when he is, he has the athleticism to make up for his error in a hurry. There aren't many defensive backs that you can generally say that about. The other thing I like about Verrett is that he's far from a finished product.

He went from Santa Rosa JC to TCU, he struggled early on with TCU, got beat a lot, he learned from his mistakes, improved, got even better this season and I expect that improvement to continue. It says to me that this guy has work ethic and dedication. There's always a place like that for a guy on an NFL roster. For 2014 I'd expect him to take over the nickelback role that Rogers has had which makes him a de facto starter on Fangio's defense. I think the upgrade in speed and coverage ability on smaller, quicker type receivers would be a huge upgrade for this defense. The Tavon Austion's, Golden Tate's, Wes Welker's...etc, you could match him up with them all the time.

There's also nothing that says that they can't take a second cornerback later on to develop. In every mock draft I've done, I've added two cornerbacks, figuring that both Brown and Rogers would be gone. Normally I've gone with a bigger cornerback such as Dennard or Gilbert first, followed by a smaller, slot type cornerback such as Ricardo Allen later on, but Verrett would be a tremendous selection and would allow them to pick someone later in the draft. someone more conventional to simply develop long-term.

Keith McGill is a BIG CB that I like a lot that needs some quality coaching but has all the tools to be a very good NFL CB, he could definitely be had later on to develop in case like you said, Culliver walks. Andre Hal of Vanderbilt, Lavelle Westbrooks of Georgia Southern, all guys who could be had a lot later as well.

*Also keep an eye on Jaylen Watkins out of Florida, he'll be at the Senior Bowl. He moved to free safety this season and dropped off the radar but for the NFL, he's still most likely to be a CB. He's got a solid build, great athleticism, a good tackler, very hard-working player who I expect to move up the boards a bit in the offseason.

I agreed with you. Talented football players are talented football players, you just have to make sure you put him in positions to succeed. Are you going to ask him to man up on Calvin Johnson? That might be an impossible task as the size problem persists. However, you need different guys with different skillsets, so while he may not be at his best locking down one of the 6'6" freaks outside you could have him cover guys in space with greater effectiveness. The Golden Tate's of the world who consistently have burned the 49ers with those seam routes.

I also believe this Verrett comes with a history as a hard worker, team player and quality guy. Given the Culliver, Kaepernick and Smith stories catching waves, the 49ers as a brand need to at some point factor character and personal integrity into the equation.
[ Edited by bzborow1 on Apr 17, 2014 at 10:11 AM ]
"with the 30th pick the san francisco 49ers select cornerback jason verrett TCU"

cant wait to hear it may 8th
Originally posted by sf_nicoya:
"with the 30th pick the san francisco 49ers select cornerback jason verrett TCU"

cant wait to hear it may 8th

would be happy too...
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
would be happy too...

Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

So basically he's quick enough to cover the slot and has enough long speed to play outside. And though a little more than an inch shorter than Darqueze Dennard, Verrett actually has slightly longer arms then he does. In other words, one more inch in height and we're talking about an elite CB prospect and a likely mid-to-high first round talent.

Balke and Co. love prospects with long arms.
Originally posted by DeUh:
Originally posted by Raul98:

?

They can go Jason Verrett, WR, Phillip Gaines, Marcus Smith for example.

I have been wanting Verrett on this team for months now but at the moment we don't know if Culliver's status or Smiths this could affect there draft strategy but believe me there's nothing i want more than Culliver Smith and Verrett on the field.
Originally posted by fanmusclecars:

They also love prospects with short arms, so what?

Looks like they like player w/Firearms too!

A couple people have mentioned in this thread that Verrett has short arms. Not true. His reach is 31", which is almost a full inch longer than Dennard, who has shorter arms that most of the top ranked CB draft prospects. He also jumed a ridiculous 39", which was nearly the top number for CB's.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran

Perrish Cox 5´11 195 Arm Length 30"

Daxtor Swanson 5´10 186 Arm Length 30 1/8"

Chris Culliver 6´0 199 Arm Length 31 1/4"

Eric Wright 5´11 192 Arm Length 31 3/4"

Chris Cook 6´2 212 Arm Length 32 1/2"

Not sure about Brock and Morris but if you are talented and fit the scheme Baalke will draft / sign you. Regardless of your arm length.
[ Edited by DeUh on Apr 17, 2014 at 2:46 PM ]
I can see Verrett being similar to the Cardinals honey badger but with even better cover skills. Look how the honey badger was constantly making plays for the Cardinals before he got hurt Niners passed on him i hope they don't make the same mistake this draft.
verrett is more like a young asante samuel. niners neeeeeeeed to grab him.
[ Edited by sf_nicoya on Apr 21, 2014 at 10:55 AM ]
Much of football is a one-on-one game, and Verrett matched up very well against some pretty good competition the past few years, including the pair of LSU WRs this season.
Share 49ersWebzone